Ourimbah trail access at risk

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
That's a fair point, and I completely agree about it being extremely easy and simple to just park up the street and not make a nuisance. That said, I maintain my point that there weren't any major issues involving neighbours up until recently, and having had the mispleasure of talking to them previously, their attitude isn't doing us any favours. That, and the point you made about property owners having the right not to be adversely impacted (however minorly) leads me to believe that if they want riding to cease, then we don't stand much of a chance.
No, your wrong there. Forest NSW want their lands used for recreation, look at the post above yours and read it. If people do the simple things the club down there is asking, there will be no loss of trails. Really, the ball is in the mtb communities hands to make it work.

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
Some clarification....
Some response posts have mentioned a particular neighbour and tried to paint a clearer picture about the reasons for these issues coming up. Please understand that this is not the entire scenario and there are multiple stakeholders contributing to the bigger picture that is involving State Forests. By no means do we want the neighbours subjected to uninformed or inaccurate reports, and this forum is not the place for elaboration about the specifics of the issue. People are welcome to come to club meetings to gain further insight if they desire. In the meantime the best support we can receive from people is to communicate our needs to others and be sensitive to the issues presented.
noted changed my reply on the first page to better suit.

All comes down to respecting all other users of the park

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Seems to be ongoing issue - i started thread re no parking there in January yet all i received is abuse.
A lot of mtb'ers who are on here have followed new rules and changed parking spots (not that we wanted to but those are the rules).
However there are alot of people who aren't on here and dont know - we tell them out the track and they are oblivious - however are happy to change their parking spot.
Also alot of local riders who ignore and still park there with attitude of f..k the rule.

Even though there are signs.....can the club (not just Sledger) either go and erect big sins that say NO PARKING (alot of people cant work out what the P sign and arrow pointing up hill:rolleyes:) or just get big rocks and block the area of. Take a pro active attitude, so Forests that you are trying to address the issue.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Don't ignore these issues guys and girls. QLD has had many trails closed down because some groups of people continue to ignore some obvious do's and dxon'ts and they'e cost othe rtrail users any chance of riding their bike.
It is simple, just obey the rules and don't act like a cockhead when using any mountain bike site. You can all help out by just getting along and thinking of others.

0psi

Eats Squid
Now I've only had a quick look at this thread but it's seems to me that all of this is about having to park at the top of a hill rather than the bottom. Really??!?! Is it that difficult?

And assigning blame isn't going to help anyone either, it doesn't matter whether it's group X or group B that are doing the wrong thing, end result is still going to be the same.

Personally I don't care too much what happens, I've never ridden in that area and possibly never will, but I am annoyed that people have posted 3 pages of "Wah, wah, wah, wah..." Do what you're asked, it's not that hard.

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
I went to the track on the weekend (for 2nd time since last year) and i didnt notice any no parking signs.
Im not sure where i cant park. I parked in the first carpark as i drive in just past the rope/climbing place. There was also 6 hour XC race on that day, and most of them parked and set up camps in the next carpark up the hill and where i was.
Also went to do a DH run at the end of the day, and was told i could drive up to the start of the DH track and park there.

Like i said, i didnt see or notice any no parking signs and people parked everywhere.
Just double checked your website, i cant find any info there
Nobmob has some info about it, but i think a map or photos might be better?

When i head there in future i will park in the correct area.

Also, there was motorbike riders parking there cars/trucks in the lower carpark.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
T-rex
The link works, however, if you do a search for red hill road ... the no parking area is not on the map.

Might be worth seeing of good can put it as a permanent notice.

good idea though.

Also, re the big rocks idea ... thats a good one too, except it may block the trucks getting out of the property ?? would need to discuss with the resident there.

T-Rex

Template denier
Nice work. Might be worth while adding the "new" parking area if possible.
Thank you, just added the parking area as well.

T-rex
The link works, however, if you do a search for red hill road ... the no parking area is not on the map.

I get the same thing, any idea how to get the marked out areas to come up in the initial search of Red Hill Rd? I've only started using this "my maps" thing half an hour ago.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It may be ill advised to start erecting signs on a public road without DMR (or what they are called in NSW now) being involved. I am almost certain that is illegal.

Very strange all this really. If the state forestry has an existing lease it must be difficult for anyone to challenge that on the basis of what happens outside the lease area. Inapppropriate behaviour on public roads is not a forestry issue and not really a club issue, but one for council or police to handle. The most logical outcome would be a new carpark with appropriate signage to cater to all area users. Perhaps the property owner would like his own gated access? I am sure there are thousands of properties in suburban areas that used to be traffic and parking free, but are now overwhelmed by expanding sprawl and user needs. Sad, but inevitable.

I am sure the club has a better chance than the locals in this debate, but agreed, only if users behave and act respectfully.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I am assuming this blow up is all to do with the land owner at the end of the road yeah? The land owner who as far as I can tell doesn't own the land where the "no parking" signs are errected?
If you built a house next door to a public beach and complained about people parking their cars nearby whilst making noise having a good time on public land would you feel like a spoonhead if you made a song and dance about it?
Should the forest rule makers drop their bundle just to suit a dude who spends too much time worrying about what is going on on public land (that more than likely existed there a long time before the house was built.....)?
It all sounds like a bit of shit to me and the sad fact is it takes something enjoyable away from people who aren't entirely hurting someone's personal property.

schwing

Likes Dirt
If you built a house next door to a public beach and complained about people parking their cars nearby whilst making noise having a good time on public land would you feel like a spoonhead if you made a song and dance about it?
good point - ! -

To save confusion perhaps the area opposite his driveway should also be signed no parking, but only on during event days. For Petes sake - it is over 400m away from his residence. Perhaps some consider our neighbours signs?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would of thought the adventure park would cause more disruption? All those screaming and yelling kids..

Has the club actually spoken to him about his concerns?

Apparently they (as I stated in a previous post there are stake-holders involved - a syndicate of neighbours so to speak) have complained about the adventure park also. (note - unconfirmed - just what I've heard).
Without blabbing on about the entire crappy situation here, let me paint a picture that gets to the nuts and bolts of how things seem to have evolved. State Forests have to deal with complaints that come their way about activities carried out on their land. When the amount of time, money, resources etc they utilise in dealing with these complaints outways the income and benefit that is generated from these activities, then they get frustrated and need to get things to a 'happy' balance. I'm sure that for the people at the 'coal-face' of it, the easy solution is to just stop the MTB stuff. We dont think that is really what they (State Forests) want. They understand that a massive amount of the community benefits in their lifestyle because of the trails. We're trying hard to obtain the 'happy' balance. Will these people ever be happy??? Who knows? In the meantime all we can do is show State Forests that we're doing alll we can to minimise the impact our activities have on these neighbours. Let's hope we can.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
good explanation ... fingers crossed people pull there fingers out to reduce some of the reasons for complaints.

If the club needs a bit of cash to get appropriate signs or whatever, I'm happy to chip in a few bucks, certain a few others would also stump up if needed.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
good explanation ... fingers crossed people pull there fingers out to reduce some of the reasons for complaints.

If the club needs a bit of cash to get appropriate signs or whatever, I'm happy to chip in a few bucks, certain a few others would also stump up if needed.
I also would contribute bit of cash to help - maybe we can all help the club as we all like to ride the tracks.
But Adamd has come up with a good idea - he wishes to start a charity nude mtb riders calendar for next yr to raise funds. Of course Mr Donaldson would feature as a nude watermelon with a sugar banana, Painey will show of his mini grapes. Apparently Adamd has already got the centrefold organised - a lovely combination of Wombat AND Eggman in their bathers...........

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Can someone just post a picuture of said no-parking area with a giant red cross through it? Next time your there with a digital camera, take a photos of the area where we're not meant o be parking. It's a far more effective communications method than gmaps.

T-Rex

Template denier
Pictures of Ourimbah no parking area

Can someone just post a picuture of said no-parking area with a giant red cross through it? Next time your there with a digital camera, take a photos of the area where we're not meant o be parking. It's a far more effective communications method than gmaps.
Good idea! Here you go:

Last edited: