Oxford Falls Meetings with residents and State reps

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Was bored and trawling Nobmob and came across below from Cuthbert = Dave
Certain he is flat out so thought I'd post up.

My search came up with Squat, but on this occassion I don't mind if this appears multiple times ... as it may get more people involved.

Good opportunity to show your support.

Hi all,

Been a long time coming I know but here is the first installment of the oxford falls email list. The idea of the list is to provide an additional means of communication (other than net forums) for those who are interested to discuss oxford falls trail issues and to organise/plan trail maintenance days etc. I will provide regular updates of the contacts list as new people wish to join or people wish to be removed. Please feel free to get others who may be interested in being added to the list to email me their details. Alternatively, if you would like to be removed from the list or like an alternative email address added, please let me know.

Just to recap where things are at.... We agreed at the riders meeting a few months back that we would take a more active role in management of the downhill tracks. This included developing an unofficial riders 'code of conduct' and displaying this on a sign at the trail head, and contacting local residents so we could try to adress their MTB related concerns. I have contacted the residents by means of a letterbox drop and the 'code' is in the process of being prepared - we aim to finalise this after we have met with the residents to we could incorporate their ideas.

It took a while after the letterbox drop for the residents to contact me - apparently they all got together to discuss the MTB activities first and agree on a common approach from their end. The outcome is that they would like to meet with us at the next Belrose Rural Community Association meeting (most of the locals belong to this group) to discuss. The preson I spoke to praised us for being proactive with regard to trail management and being cognisant of their concerns. I was advised that the residents agree there is a need for more MTB trails in the local area given the popularity of the sport, however, I get the impression they would like to see us move on from oxford falls to an alternative venue, this being the Belrose tip site. Therefore, I suspect the MTB related discussions at the meeting will be two-fold; to discuss the use of the existing tracks in the short term and to discuss the need for an alternative venue. I have also received word that the local resident Connie Harris, who has just been elected to Warringah Council, will be campaigning hard for the tip site to be developed as a DH MTB venue and equestrian centre (this has come from an email she sent that I was forwarded).

Initially only a couple of us were invited to attend the meeting, however, I have since been advised that the residents have organised for the local State member, John O'Dea, to attend and they would now like us to trun up in numbers. The idea will be to demonstrate to him that there is a real need for the tip site to be redeveloped as a MTB park, which is likely to require some degree of state level funding to reach its full potential (think Stromlo on a smaller scale). The meeting is on at 7:30 pm next Tuesday 7 October, to be held at the Christian Covenant School (Dell St, Belrose - off Forest Way). Sorry for the late notice on this people, but I only found out about this change this morning. Please let me know if you can make the meeting, would be great if you could.

Regards,

Dave Yonge

DH Coordinator

MWMTB
http://nobmob.com/node/6456

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK... short attention span. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the crux is:

Official Oxford Falls trail advocacy meeting.

7:30 pm Tuesday 7 October, at the Christian Covenant School (Dell St, Belrose - off Forest Way).

Show your support by turning up in numbers.

I hope to see a lot of you there.

PLUCAS

Likes Dirt
er um soory guys I am typing this on my phone from europe and must apologise for sending the incorrect information to dave who already had things well underconrtol. ealier in the week we have been asked to have ideally about six mtb representatives at this meeting i am on the otherside of the word and gave Dave the incorrect information as i was super keen to get heaps of people there to show we are a serious force

dont get me wrong it woukd be great for lots of people to turn up but most will have to not be involved in the actual meeting i also must apologise as i have read none of the post below and this may already have been covered
i would als ask that people who do go are peacfull and respect all others regardless of thier personal view

peace out and good luck
plucas

and
OK... short attention span. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the crux is:

Official Oxford Falls trail advocacy meeting.

7:30 pm Tuesday 7 October, at the Christian Covenant School (Dell St, Belrose - off Forest Way).

Show your support by turning up in numbers.

I hope to see a lot of you there.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
a bit confused...so do you want people to just show up? or do you not want a large crowd.
Assuming we don't get an "official" reply on your question, I'd say show up. Numbers will say a lot - it would be great for the cause to fill the room with riders.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Thanks to those that turned up ... have no idea who any of you were, but at least we got some say.

Best part is that the residents are not against riding ... but the trick is to manage expectations

i) their expectations of limiting the tracks that are gonna get ridden
ii) the effectiveness of the Code of Conduct in the short term

oh well ... first steps

Thanks Dave for the good work so far.

cartman

Likes Bikes
What they are proposing does sounf good and if the tip area is converted it will be the best of both worlds. Good Job to all involved :):)

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's a grave dig for ya'll.

Just past 9 years since the meeting when O'Dea announced that Belrose landfill could be the long term solution for issues at Oxy.

This morning I got an email confirming that we've gotten over the final hurdle, and it time to start tendering for builders. It's on, boys and girls.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Cuss yeah!!!!! Cussing psyched for this :D :D Will have to service the DH bike and get her running again.

Great work Matt and all involved with the government and lobbying side of this effort!

Bare Creek ?

That is epic news and some extreme dedication, congratulations !!

When it's built I will stack my bike in honour of all of those that were involved.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gravedig.

Reaching out to see if any rider who came along to the 7 October 2008 meeting are still around. Let me know....