Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Record high temps in Antarctica and Arctic.
Antarctica is going to be an interesting one when it melts. Straya has a huge chunk of unclaimed rights as does NZ and Norawy (they are on the other side of the globe). Add in a sprinkle of dubious claims from the usual USA/Russia and it's all fun and games. Plenty of resource under there and no traditional owners to contend with either. Who said cheap petrol is dead?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I doubt very much that a country's exploration of mineral resources in Antarctica will be a "thing" if Antarctica melts.

The survival of the human race would be more prevalent, driven by war & food production breakdown...

There's this totally misguided assumption that we can adapt. Only a fucking idiot would think we can adapt.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Only a fucking idiot would think we can adapt.
Unfortunately there's a lot of them. And even more that just want to deny it because they don't want to/can't comprehend having to make minor compromises in their lives.

(EDIT - I'm not perfect in regards to emissions. I could/should do more to reduce the amount of single use plastic I incidentally buy, could order less bike parts from O/S, etc... But I consciously chose to live close to work, not drive a big V8/4WD, not own and have to heat/cool an open-plan double story house, fly overseas, etc...)

Scotty T

Walks the walk

In episode 3 which screened last night, they talk about how Antarctica is literally the beating heart of the ocean system that drives our planet.

The paradox of CSIRO where the public owns owns a research vessel discovering all the things about climate change, while also scanning for oil and gas reserves in the ocean. I suppose the "I" can't be taken out of CSIRO but IMHO Australia could do well by placing another S in there for Sustainable.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
@beeb Yeah, but that's not adapting, that's only trying to live a more moral existence. Morality in the context of CC only goes so far.

I too struggle with this.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@beeb Yeah, but that's not adapting, that's only trying to live a more moral existence. Morality in the context of CC only goes so far.

I too struggle with this.
Fully agree. I'm unsure what to do to on a personal level to be honest though. I'm trying to reduce my consumption of single use plastics, minimise fuel usage, reduce recreational travel, grow a little of my own food, etc... but not sure what to do past that tbh. Honestly, it's hard not to think the planet's fucked (for ongoing human existence anyway) - but it's not like it couldn't be saved in this moment. Realistically though - I just can't see enough people even willing to consider making changes in their lives. And if you can't even get that sorted, we're fucked when it comes to making decisive, broad changes to our financial systems, lifestyles, resource consumption, transport methods and population numbers. Sadly people are people, and if it doesn't immediately effect their immediate family, they generally don't give a fuck - double down on that with the fact it might effect their income and I really really can't see much happening until it's too late.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
For those interested but can't listen to whole thing; environmental stuff starts around the 30 min mark, bike industry specific starts around the 46 min mark with the carbon conversation from about 53 mins.
Such a rad dude. Here's a good one on total lifecycle of bikes:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Fully agree. I'm unsure what to do to on a personal level to be honest though. I'm trying to reduce my consumption of single use plastics, minimise fuel usage, reduce recreational travel, grow a little of my own food, etc... but not sure what to do past that tbh. Honestly, it's hard not to think the planet's fucked (for ongoing human existence anyway) - but it's not like it couldn't be saved in this moment. Realistically though - I just can't see enough people even willing to consider making changes in their lives. And if you can't even get that sorted, we're fucked when it comes to making decisive, broad changes to our financial systems, lifestyles, resource consumption, transport methods and population numbers. Sadly people are people, and if it doesn't immediately effect their immediate family, they generally don't give a fuck - double down on that with the fact it might effect their income and I really really can't see much happening until it's too late.
CC will affect high fire danger locations before those who live in the city. Once we have our next few huge fire seasons and people can't reinsure their properties, eyes will be opened.

Fire & drought will hit Straya, floods will hit other countries harder. But CC will affect everyone.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those interested but can't listen to whole thing; environmental stuff starts around the 30 min mark, bike industry specific starts around the 46 min mark with the carbon conversation from about 53 mins.
That sexy french accent is too much for you?
I like it because it was about the bike industry that for the most part is all about updating luxuries for recreation. Made me reflect.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sexy french accent is too much for you?
I like it because it was about the bike industry that for the most part is all about updating luxuries for recreation. Made me reflect.
I could listen to Yoann all day. The boss is less keen for 80 mins of MTB chatter though :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I doubt very much that a country's exploration of mineral resources in Antarctica will be a "thing" if Antarctica melts.

The survival of the human race would be more prevalent, driven by war & food production breakdown...

There's this totally misguided assumption that we can adapt. Only a fucking idiot would think we can adapt.
There you go underestimating human stupidity and greed again...

Antarctica is going to be an interesting one when it melts. Straya has a huge chunk of unclaimed rights as does NZ and Norawy (they are on the other side of the globe). Add in a sprinkle of dubious claims from the usual USA/Russia and it's all fun and games. Plenty of resource under there and no traditional owners to contend with either. Who said cheap petrol is dead?
He Nazis are already there...under the ice, waiting. Or admiral Byrd is. Either way someone is there ready and waiting