Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
You need to set a target - no more CO2 emissions by "X" plus CO2 sequestration of "Y", aka negative emissions:

What burden of negative emission technologies do we wish to put on future generations?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Just finished reading "The Art of Frugal Hedonism" which a fun, light read designed to help you feel good about consuming and spending less when our culture constantly pushes us to consume more.
Nothing really new in the book that you couldn't gain from talking to your grandma, but its written well and a useful book to help transition to a future of less consumption and enjoy it, before it's forced on you by necessity.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Check this out:

FF growth over the last two or more decades exceeded that in renewables. We are not making great progress, no matter how renewable growth is framed.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I was listening to a podcast on holidaying in Panama and a marine biologist was talking about how they have stayed on atolls off of Hawaii and in Rio de Janeiro, but anyway, they commented on how dirty the water is in those areas and noted about 7 large floating islands of plastic that stretch for Kms. Hence, it made me do a search, and they were right, there's a vortex in water currents that keeps all the floating plastic together in these areas that's causing a lot of issues with marine life.

I think focus should be made on making energy efficient recycling, to make it viable to recycle this plastic rather than it ending up in waterways.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I was listening to a podcast on holidaying in Panama and a marine biologist was talking about how they have stayed on atolls off of Hawaii and in Rio de Janeiro, but anyway, they commented on how dirty the water is in those areas and noted about 7 large floating islands of plastic that stretch for Kms. Hence, it made me do a search, and they were right, there's a vortex in water currents that keeps all the floating plastic together in these areas that's causing a lot of issues with marine life.

I think focus should be made on making energy efficient recycling, to make it viable to recycle this plastic rather than it ending in waterways.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
How much of that was our first world waste that got sent there in the first place? This starts to become apparent when countries like indonesia and phillipines/Vietnam start hitting top 5s lol.
Its not imported waste, its domestic consumer waste. Its largely cultural attitudes to litter and rubbish...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Nearly twenty five years ago wifey & I honeymooned in the Maldives. Tiny island, hard to miss anything.

Including their rubbish waste scheme. Leave it in a little bay & let the sea sweep it away.

Yes, that’s a thing. Rubbish mainly caused by us rich first worlders wanting some R&R and to see some pretty fish.

The whole tourist cycle is a shit show.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Its not imported waste, its domestic consumer waste. Its largely cultural attitudes to litter and rubbish...
Must be part of their grand plan to claim parts of the pacific by being the biggest contributor to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Rest of world: This is YOUR rubbish.
China: Look we made an island.
Rest of the world: You can't claim the pacific
China: You said it's my rubbish, now it's my island and I am claiming it.
Rest of world: Does this impact you iphone making capacity?
China: no
Rest of world: As you were....