Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Flow-Rider

Burner
Must be part of their grand plan to claim parts of the pacific by being the biggest contributor to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

Rest of world: This is YOUR rubbish.
China: Look we made an island.
Rest of the world: You can't claim the pacific
China: You said it's my rubbish, now it's my island and I am claiming it.
Rest of world: Does this impact you iphone making capacity?
China: no
Rest of world: As you were....
They are already bullying all in the South China Sea.

I'd imagine the same happens with automotive tyres, expect they sink to the bottom of the ocean and don't have the sunlight to aid in breaking them down as fast.

[My rant for the day] Ignorance is bliss in this world, no doubt the future generations will suffer or pay the price.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Ben gets it:
Rationing emissions quota is a nice ideological wish but no one can seem to agree on a method. You could do per capita easily then comes the hard question about birth rates and even the hippies cannot agree. What happens if you have zero one two or three or more kids, how do you split the quota. Do those kids have a lower split of your allowance or does everyone else get a little less becaues you went and reproduced like mad?

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Crony capitalism has failed. Instead of creating the most efficient markets, we've simply taken the lazy/greedy path and created junk markets and products ad infinitum. We are beyond the pale when it comes to what we produce and consume and just as much scrutiny needs to be placed on the companies and entities producing tomorrow's trash as is often placed on those consuming them.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Crony capitalism has failed. Instead of creating the most efficient markets
The part that failed was pretending to be a free market. Free markets necessitate that nothing is too big to fail. But here we have a pseudo capitalism model where vested interests, brides (sorry, political influence) and bail-outs are common. Ideally you'd run the world with zero income taxes, just one single environment and possibly land tax. Gone off topic though haha

Elbo

The part that failed was pretending to be a free market. Free markets necessitate that nothing is too big to fail. But here we have a pseudo capitalism model where vested interests, brides (sorry, political influence) and bail-outs are common. Ideally you'd run the world with zero income taxes, just one single environment and possibly land tax. Gone off topic though haha
Agreed. If this was actually a free market, we wouldn't be propping up companies who only exist because they defer future costs (to people, the environment, etc) down the line.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Im a little sad to see the end of the French hot hatch, they invented the segment and owned it since. But I do like this bit;

France has declared war on the big SUV as well, with a tax on vehicle weight set to be introduced in 2022, charging €10 (A$15) for every kilogram over 1800kg. That’d be around a surcharge of €10,000 (A$15,759) on a Nissan Patrol, added to the €29,070 (A$45,811) charge for emitting over 218g/km of carbon dioxide.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Make way for the Germans then if nobody else beats them to it...

:)

Elbo

France has declared war on the big SUV as well, with a tax on vehicle weight set to be introduced in 2022, charging €10 (A$15) for every kilogram over 1800kg. That’d be around a surcharge of €10,000 (A$15,759) on a Nissan Patrol, added to the €29,070 (A$45,811) charge for emitting over 218g/km of carbon dioxide.
Wow, no wonder you don't see many 4WDs in Europe.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
+1 That's progress, manufacturers, bar suzuki seem to have forgotten weight as a critical input.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I'm not going to be the apologist here but what is good for France or Germany or wherever automobiles are economically made in this homogeneous McDonald's of a planet is not likely good for everywhere else....and everywhere else has a habit of fucking up good intentions. Australia is going to be good at this...