Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sorry, I think that’s a sport reference?
To pocket billiards.

What sort of reforestation programs do we need to get into here in Australia? From how I see this method of mitigation, Australia has a reasonable amount of land suitable for reforestation and the capacity to do it without too much fuss.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Recycling EV batteries will happen, it is happening, they can be reconfigured/refurbished into packs for low power applications for many more years provided they've been looked after and not completely killed before replacement. Then it can be recycled into some useable materials after no longer providing enough power for other practical uses. Not so for petrol. Just on the efficiencies we need stop burning petrol I reckon. Not just for my personal transportation device, for as much transport as possible.

Hybrids remain in front only because of the grid, it's pretty silly burning petrol to make electricity I've always thought. My Golf is about 0.5l per 100 real world off a Prius. Are the batteries worth it for that? Maybe if I was an Uber or Taxi?

A one car family is a good start too. But I get it's damn hard in some parts of Aus, I'm lucky in that regard.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

Freediver

I can go full Karen
To pocket billiards.

What sort of reforestation programs do we need to get into here in Australia? From how I see this method of mitigation, Australia has a reasonable amount of land suitable for reforestation and the capacity to do it without too much fuss.
Better ones than the Maribyrnong council has. I've been doing a bit of guerilla gardening with local native trees along the river as well as the work I do with the friends of group. The dickhead ranger told the president of the friends group to tell me to stop because the council doesn't want trees spoiling peoples view of the river. I was told that if I wanted to stay a member then I would have to stop planting. Guess who isn't a member of Friends of Maribyrnong Valley anymore.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
To pocket billiards.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Just crunched the basic numbers from the website - a Tesla Model 3 with 75kWh battery, manufacturing of said battery in the "uber clean Gigafactory" results in 6,600kg of CO2 emissions. Half that of manufacture elsewhere.

That's the equivalent of 3.75 years of Polo tailpipe emissions if I drove 15k/year.

And then you'd need to fill the Tesla with electricity, which unless you live in Norway, also results in CO2 emissions.

EV ain't the magic bullet. Wish it was, but it isn't.

Haakon

No one said it was. It’s just a part of it, and a relatively small one. It’s not nothing though...

Haakon

Based on those numbers, how does it materially help again?
Right now, comparing your small simple ICE car to a large/medium EV? Not much.

Setting in train a broader market shift to EVs in conjunction with decarbonisation of electricity generation - quite a bit.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yeah but I still don't see how embedded CO2 emission in battery manufacture can be avoided.

We need to be reducing emissions, not moving from one source to another.

A 75kWh battery pack manufactured in Asia would result in 13,000 kg of CO2 emissions. Thirteen tonnes.

Haakon

Yeah but I still don't see how embedded CO2 emission in battery manufacture can be avoided.

We need to be reducing emissions, not moving from one source to another.

A 75kWh battery pack manufactured in Asia would result in 13,000 kg of CO2 emissions. Thirteen tonnes.
Ok, I get it. Its not awesome now, you're still missing the point. ICE has nowhere to go, EV (and battery) making will only get better.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Keeping an older car has always been better for the environment even if not for your ego. Piouses etc batteries can be interrogated with relatively simple readers and faulty cells swapped out for not much compared to what the oem's charge. Lots of taxi repair places do it for consumer cars.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ok, I get it. Its not awesome now, you're still missing the point. ICE has nowhere to go, EV (and battery) making will only get better.
To fix CC, personal transportation has nowhere to go. That's what I'm arguing...

BTW, I am still a car guy at heart.

Haakon

Keeping an older car has always been better for the environment even if not for your ego. Piouses etc batteries can be interrogated with relatively simple readers and faulty cells swapped out for not much compared to what the oem's charge. Lots of taxi repair places do it for consumer cars.
As with all these models, thats not always true... YMMV. For an ICE car, the majority of emissions is still in its use - replacing a guzzler with something markedly more economical will still have a "payback" period thats attainable.

Plus there are safety and air quality emissions benefits.