Playstation 3 Thread

Welshy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure you're aware that you can exit the practice session and change / adjust to your hearts content , more convenient than having to pit really.

Re your earlier comment on GT5 being tooo short , yeah , fair call on the A spec / B spec element but I believe online is where its longevity lies. Take a look at how many online tournaments and race series are currently on hold ! Racing people will always be heaps better than racing AI anyway :) Track maker , photo mode and seasonal events also keep it interesting when you're sick of grinding for $$. Photomode is briliant , I've had a lot of people that aren't aware of the game saying how real it looks. One of the bits PD got right !
Yeah, I'm well aware that you can quit and restart to change settings, but it really ruins the flow of it, and as a hardcore OCD wanker, I think it'd be brilliant to be able to pit to make these changes.

I've dabbled in the online scene, but am yet to investigate further. But being at my parents house for Easter, and the PSN being down, that becomes rather difficult!

You're very correct about photo mode. It does take incredible pictures. I recently got one of my rally car around a corner with its back end hung up up something, and it looks unbelievable!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Steve-O, I agree on Metal Gear, it is a stellar title. I didn't touch another game while I played through it and just when you think it is over and Snake has finished...........it goes all on it's head and off you go again! However, I am glad I finished it because it was starting to shit me as there was probably too much to the story. In saying that, I won't be getting the next title, it would drive me up the wall.
Yeh, The massive amounts of story was the only downside for me. But really it was hardly a downside and for people who understand the series (I don't) it'd be so much better. Next game will be absolutely epic. The main character is Raiden and it's a fast paced action game with ninja's and swordfighting etc. Have a quick Google, it looks like the next 10/10 game for the PS3.

I'm on my 60th lap on Tsukuba in a Mazda roadster (Guess the race lol). Turns out to be the nicest car in the game to drive! It just feels so easy. Perfect amount of power to grip.

Toff

Likes Dirt
I'm on my 60th lap on Tsukuba in a Mazda roadster (Guess the race lol). Turns out to be the nicest car in the game to drive! It just feels so easy. Perfect amount of power to grip.
I finished that race just yesterday, timer went all the way to 0 and nothing happened, was still in control of the car. Stupidly I pressed start -> exit, thinking it was like GT5P in the time attack events. It wasn't, and that was 4 hours of my life completely wasted..

Words cannot properly express my reaction..

Decided to do the Suzuka 1k instead, now 24 laps out of 172. Picked the Amuse S2000 as it's honestly my favourite car in the entire game, perfect power/ weight and just the right amount of grip with racing medium tyres, handles so nicely.

Probably could have picked something faster but I figured if I'm doing 1,000 k's I want something that at least nice to drive..

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, Seriously?? I'd be so pissed! I mean, I like long races but 4 hours is along time in one car on one small track...Although to be honest, I love this track and I'd put a few hours into tuning a car on it without even racing. I'm guessing you didn't finish your current lap...

Definitely need a comfy well setup car before heading into the endurance races. Not only because you need to have fun but because if you crash 3/4 of the way through your pretty screwed!

At least I'm confident my PS3 can handle the play time. An earlier model 360 would not last 4 hours. Infact, I think I was playing Forza when my first 360 died.

Depending when I finish this race I may do the 1000. I've got nothing to do tonight and that damn wedding is on.

Just finished a 4 hour race and all I got was 177k and a levels worth of XP. Pretty pointless. damn.

Last edited:

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
MGS4 is amazing, personally I love a story driven game, I play for the story rather than the gameplay although both are equally awesome in MGS4. Raiden is one of my all time favourite video game characters so I'm REALLY lookign forward to the next one!

loc81

Likes Dirt
Looks like PSN will be back online this week. Having the PS3 without Internet is about as practical as a car with no wheels..

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Been pissing about on Mass Effect 2 for the last week. It's such a beautiful, well crafted game. It manages to combine the depth and character involvement of an RPG with the fast-paced action of top-line 3rd person shooters without any glitches, crashes, awkward controls or shonky plot devices.

Over the week I've been drawn further and further into the storyline and the vast universe that serves as the background to it all and by now I'm well and truly hooked. It's one I'll maybe even consider playing again once I eventually finish it - if only to see how a radically different character would perform.

Other than that it's been all iRacing and redtube. ;-)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Been pissing about on Mass Effect 2 for the last week. It's such a beautiful, well crafted game. It manages to combine the depth and character involvement of an RPG with the fast-paced action of top-line 3rd person shooters without any glitches, crashes, awkward controls or shonky plot devices.

Over the week I've been drawn further and further into the storyline and the vast universe that serves as the background to it all and by now I'm well and truly hooked. It's one I'll maybe even consider playing again once I eventually finish it - if only to see how a radically different character would perform.

Other than that it's been all iRacing and redtube. ;-)
Is is better than Fallout? Mass Effect I mean, not Redtube.;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
"One of the major services that won't be available initially is the PlayStation Store. Sony did not give a timeframe for when it wil be back up, but the company stated that all PlayStation Network services will operational by the end of May" Taken from IGN.

So, let me get this straight. You give PSN users a 30 day free membership to Playstation plus yet you need to have access to the store to use the service. Um, has anyone at Playstation thought about this? What a fucking con job!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
how you been finding iRacing ?
Loving it.

It's daunting, sure enough as the cars are very unforgiving, you're racing under your actual name and your safety rating is paramount for progression however this just adds to the buzz when you actually race.

Depending on how you look at it it's either very good value for money or very poor value for money. If you want close, realistic action that's second only to actual physical racing then it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a race-car, paying track fees fuel etc. If you look at it from a video game standpoint then the subscription fees and subsequent costs for extra tracks/cars etc might represent poor value for money when compared to the 1000+ cars and dozens of tracks available for GT5 however I can say without a doubt that as good and fun as GT5 is I get nowhere near the buzz playing it as I do trying to battle 20 other real-life drivers to survive the first corner at Lime Rock park or screaming through the smoke and debris in the middle of a 3-car spinning clusterfuck at 200mph in a NASCAR race at Talladega.

It's awesome awesome stuff!

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
End of may for fully operational PSN?? Holy shit. Lets hope it's Multiplayer this week and the rest comes gradually...

I Don't care all that much really lol but some guys out there would be dieing right now.

Oh,

Last edited:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dude, I'm hearing you with the understeer! You can avoid it by braking earlier but some of the setting syou can make on the cars don't improve the actual physics of the game.
I just stumbled on this thread tonight. I havent tested the theory yet , but if that discussion so far is any indication , there's no wonder some of us have been having trouble getting rid of the understeer issue.

It's a massive cock up on PDs part and something that needs to be addressed in the next patch surely !

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting...I'll have to test it out. Pretty big stuff up though! Seems unlikely they would miss that.

EDIT: What. The. Fuck. ('scuse the french)

As far as I know, correct me if i'm wrong,
  • Low front w/ high rear will Oversteer.
  • High front w/ Low rear will Understeer.
and for springs,
  • Hard front w/ soft rear will Understeer
  • Soft front w/ hard rear will Oversteer.

Correct?

Well with an RX7 (FR), 500BHP Sports softs, The opposite of the above is true. No doubt. To double check, a Higher front then the rear with harder springs in the front oversteers ALOT. It's hard to control and is definitely over-steering. Swap the settings around and it understeers.

Seems the replays will look stupid because the settings affect the visuals as they should but physics are swapped. I haven't test on other cars and I've only touched springs and ride height.

I've got some tuning to do....

GT-R Spec V '09. Always had an understeer problem I couldn't fix. Just fixed it with a higher and softer rear. Dropped a full second of my test track! And I suck at the moment... 51.315s Tsukuba.

Shits backwards people!!!

Last edited:

zen zen

Likes Dirt
MX vs ATV came out yesterday. So what are your thoughts on the game?
I am still 50/50 with it, fair few kinky and things i do not like in it but i guess the more i play the less i will notice.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Incase you've been living under a rock, PSN should be back up very very soon- and the system update is available for your updating pleasure!
Can't wait to fire up BFBC2 again!

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
Apparently we get a choice of 2 free games from a selection of 5?

Anyone know what the 5 games are?

ps. I hope they aren't those shitty cheapo games like sudoku etc.