Pointless new standards - name and shame the "innovators".

ezy_09s

Likes Bikes
Completely agree with most of these posts & the rediculous 'standardisation' system..makes me :frusty:

Ending up with loads of crap which is now obsolete because manufacturers constantly need some new shit to peddle .

safreek

I was really enjoying this, cheering along with every one of them. Then they chuck a curve ball at the end and talk smack about clutched derailleurs. No mbr, that's a bad mbr

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Is if clutched derailleurs will take off, not a hope

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep agree with all this.
A stick ripped the switch from my clutch RD so I can tell if it is on or off. Rd still works fine and It feels like it is on but I still get too much chain slap in some gears. To fix this I ordered one of those STFU chain devices and it was just posted this week. I will replace the RD when It completely fails.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
At least the English show a bit of commonsense agree with all 10 of them .
None of our bikes have clutched derailleurs.
Can you imagine any person in the home of stupid [ USA] saying any of that ?
would be impeached .

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
screw that list, i like carbon and quiet deraileurs.

i was hoping from the pics that various axle standards were going to be stabbed as well, but alas not.....

So i agree on 8, but in their place i want
1x - was it really that hard to change the front ring occasionaly?
12 speed 32x51 is too slow to ride up anything worthwhile

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
1x - was it really that hard to change the front ring occasionaly?
I'm just a mug, but 1x makes more sense to me than anything else. You lose a lever, cable, and derailleur. Even if the weight advantage doesn't get you hot (I don't care about weight) the reduction in moving parts and clutter should satisfy. Speed is never a priority for me.

stirk

Burner
screw that list,

12 speed 32x51 is too slow to ride up anything worthwhile
Yeah stupid list, they must have been bored.

What do you mean by 32x51 being too slow?
Assuming 11 small cog on the rear that'll see pedalling to 60kph which is bloody quick on rough trails.

And in low range you don't need to use the lowest gear and often do not as a higher gear will help power over obstacles in stand up mooar power mode.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't agree with #10
Without fail I loose a chain if I mistakenly leave the clutch off, that is with narrow-wide and a modern minimal chain keeping device.
But on my old triple with no clutch, as long as she's in the middle ring, cant get the chain off.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt

I was really enjoying this, cheering along with every one of them. Then they chuck a curve ball at the end and talk smack about clutched derailleurs. No mbr, that's a bad mbr

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
I only run the clutch turned on on my hardtail. Really dislike the suspension action with it on on duallies. Feels like it loses sensitivity.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yeah stupid list, they must have been bored.

What do you mean by 32x51 being too slow?
Assuming 11 small cog on the rear that'll see pedalling to 60kph which is bloody quick on rough trails.

And in low range you don't need to use the lowest gear and often do not as a higher gear will help power over obstacles in stand up mooar power mode.
soz, i meant going up a hill in the easiest gear on sram 12x - you are doing walking speed which is harder to balance and you havent got any acceleration to go up over a rock or something - i treat the 42 or 44 (whatever the hell the second biggest is at the back) as the last gear - as per your last paragraph..... and then with boost you cant stick a 36 on half the frames out there coz it hits the chainstay - fuck - grumpy old bloke syndrome is on overdrive.... ;D

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Never lost a chain ,no clutch but NW ring works well so must not be going hard enough.
Main advantage of 1x is getting rid of front derailleur which IMO can be really hard to set up well. 10 speed is plenty .

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
soz, i meant going up a hill in the easiest gear on sram 12x - you are doing walking speed which is harder to balance and you havent got any acceleration to go up over a rock or something - i treat the 42 or 44 (whatever the hell the second biggest is at the back) as the last gear - as per your last paragraph..... and then with boost you cant stick a 36 on half the frames out there coz it hits the chainstay - fuck - grumpy old bloke syndrome is on overdrive.... ;D
Bummer, I thought boost meant you could put a bigger ring on than that. What a fail.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Have to agree 35 mm handlebars, boost and internal cabling [ maybe OK for droppers ]are pretty useless.
Carbon fibre is clever stuff but
Major adjustable geometry that completely changes the character of the bike I like such as 30 mm shock and fork changes . 5mm + 0.5 degrees are bullshit.
Not convinced about the need for 52 T rings ,12 speed , different proprietary BCDs and direct mount cranks and different seat post diameters.
Unfortunately the USA are obedient unquestioning enthusiastic consumers , they lead the way , everyone follows ,the sheep I know just go and buy a new bike and it is loaded with the latest.
Like planko i actively avoid stuff I can see to be wanky and deliberately one off , its really nice to have most things interchangable. eg last minute my wife finds she has a flat or worn tyre , easy grab another wheel , new chain, easy all mtbikes are 10 speed 26 or 27.5 100mm thru axle , all roadies 9 speed. 700c quick release .

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I feel like the clutch affecting suspension thing is somewhat imaginary, this article was interesting in relation to that, from 2012 before most of the innovations on the list happened.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-AU/news/344

I just can't stand the racket of no clutch, it drowns out the Hope ratchet, and we all know extra loud ratchets are actually the best invention not on that list ;)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Huh, I’d pay good money for a silent hub.

As long as it wasn’t any more than the good money I pay for hopes.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
They forgot headset standards, BB standards. Press fit BBs that do not belong on mtbs let alone road bikes.

Oh and the mother of all, let's create boost tell everyone it (gives them a?) stiffer, but lets tell everyone the 150 DH standard sucks, only to go back later and design a new wider standard. But if that wasn't the kick in the balls we all needed they ACTUALLY WENT BACK TO CREATE BOOST QR!