Pointless new standards - name and shame the "innovators".

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
. A lot of people believe the shite they read online and are way overbiked for their needs but that's their prerogative, without them I wouldn't find cheap secondhand deals around.
Agree
The last new bike I bought, besides a few kid's bikes, was in 1989, and it was stolen a few weeks later. I don't think I'll ever buy a new bike again.
It's the same as my philosophy on dogs. There are way too many good ones in need of a home.

Flow-Rider

Burner
. A lot of people believe the shite they read online and are way overbiked for their needs but that's their prerogative, without them I wouldn't find cheap secondhand deals around.
Agree. As much as I try to support the lbs for repairs some things are outrageously marked up.
The problems of living in a high wage high rent economy its OK unless your income is stuck or a big mortgage.
It doesn't help any that the MTB client base is small in Australia too.

I'll be honest, I've got no use for the LBS as I do everything myself except for rear shocks.

Some other people may not have the time or knowledge to tinker with bikes, so it's their only option but some of the blokes I ride with ain't short of a quid and drop some serious amount of money to them.
Yep. absolutely agree, but i said they can get expensive, and my point is that someone can buy a certain brand with no idea what they're getting into only to find down the line they are trapped with HAVING to buy that particular brand as a part with no option because of some proprietary design that they implement and claim it's brilliant/ingenious/innovative when really it's only function is to stop the customer replacing it with an alternative brand...
Remember that just because you're up to speed with every mod and new item that comes along doesn't mean a noob buying his first bike is, most, like me, have absolutely no idea what we're looking at when we start shopping, and even 5 years on i'm still lost on most of it, probably until i need to replace something and get told "sorry sir, that needs to be the same brand as your bike as it's patented" etc.

There's a fair bit of good info in this link for online stores, if you can plan your MTB maintenance and repairs the sport can be somewhat cheaper.

Everyone gets caught out with obsolete replacement parts from time to time, just don't totally rely on Aussie shops, a lot of times you can pick up old stock from overseas stores and for a lot less too.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
on the same page I bought my last new bike in 2003 .
Safreek has the frame now.
after that was hotrodded I learned to repair them, then build them.
good onya. im trying to figure out what to do with my current oversupply of bikes, especially the eminently capable XC bike with 135 rear which is now passe due to the constantly changing standards (thankfully, it does have a tapered head)

safreek

on the same page I bought my last new bike in 2003 .
Safreek has the frame now.
after that was hotrodded I learned to repair them, then build them.
And I have a junior T on the way for the enduro, should be a bliss machine with the plushness

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Safreek I saw a friend who never rides had a Enduro SX from about 2006 has been in his shed he was at the Yack bike shop getting it serviced for his boys.
Sexy =5th element rear coil , Marz 66 forks air preload w 20 mm axle , tyres were so old they had perished.

moorey

call me Mia
Must be a tense few minutes at Hope every time a new axle standard comes out and they wait for Barry to CAD up some new spacers before they can confirm compatibility...
Actually, it’s usually the nervous wait for companies...looking at you, Shimano....to allow them to manufacture compatible parts for shit like, oh, say, stupid microspline.

safreek

Safreek I saw a friend who never rides had a Enduro SX from about 2006 has been in his shed he was at the Yack bike shop getting it serviced for his boys.
Sexy =5th element rear coil , Marz 66 forks air preload w 20 mm axle , tyres were so old they had perished.
Pretty sweet, shame it's just slowly going back to the earth. Would look good in my bike room :)

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
My new bike has all the new standards and rides really fucking well.....

I laugh at it being 148 boost though given it seems it would really prefer 150 before the axle pulls the rear end together.

As stupid and annoying as the new standards are are fine if you aren't trying to keep riding a old clunker going. As much as I have rose coloured glasses about my old DH rigs, my new 29er is such a better bike (it isn't comically short and has geo for going fast down hill).

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Some other people may not have the time or knowledge to tinker with bikes, so it's their only option but some of the blokes I ride with ain't short of a quid and drop some serious amount of money to them.
Not only that, there are those who are short of quid, but will drop serious money to buy new bike from shop. There is this thing about "shop warranty" that they like. Oh they're professional, they know what they are doing, less chances of build going wrong, and if something is to go wrong, warranty will cover it. Yeah sure..

gippyz

Likes Dirt
This old video is still gold

Overall, I see most new standards as just a way for a bike/parts company to force customers to "upgrade" despite minute improvement. It's a way for them to sell more products. They want you to buy new bike or parts every 6 months, and prefer you to not sell your old stuff to others as then they'll most likely buy new. When they run out of idea, they go "oh let's go new standard shall we?". Now I'm not saying all of them are like that, but I believe most are.

Of the many new standards the 2 I believe is the most useless is 148 boost and the metric shock.

148 is a faff. Why not go 150 or 157? In keeping with the DH folks? If you are after strength, then it's a wrong move, you need to increase the thickness of the axle to say idk 15mm.

Metric shock, yeah sure whatever it's BS. What's wrong with imperial?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Vital MTB had this rubbish to say "a move to different shock sizes could increase the space inside, allowing designers to make a better product. " Total bullshit.
It might sound new to the dumb American imperialists but I have put different shocks [ 2-10 mm] on frames and providing you check for fouling its about 5% and just gives you a bit more travel.
Yeah metric shock what a wank it probably is about 1-2% difference..

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Other than for fatbikes which seem to be a craze only good for sand and snow, here in NE Vic we dont have either.unless you go to a ski field.,
Boost is a complete marketing ploy.
Nothing is stronger or stiffer if you basically put bits further apart with spacers. Thicker axle or more spokes sure.
A friend who weighs 106 kg and is rough bought a Stumpjumper ,it has Roval boost wheels with only 28 spokes so the rear flexes into the derailleur .

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Its an XL frame so meant for big people , the Specialized bike shop lost credibility by suggesting he needed to keep the derailleur over to the right in the higher gears so it wouldnt happen =yeah sure .
Anyway he will go and buy a rear wheel w 36 spokes and solid rims.
Lets not mention the rear shock .

Flow-Rider

Burner
Other than for fatbikes which seem to be a craze only good for sand and snow, here in NE Vic we dont have either.unless you go to a ski field.,
Boost is a complete marketing ploy.
Nothing is stronger or stiffer if you basically put bits further apart with spacers. Thicker axle or more spokes sure.
A friend who weighs 106 kg and is rough bought a Stumpjumper ,it has Roval boost wheels with only 28 spokes so the rear flexes into the derailleur .

You can buy bolt up axle hubs for 135 anyway that will be just as stiff, if not more than the maxle setups.