Post up ya 4WD!

rtd

Likes Dirt

My GQ. Once was rd28, now is rb25det. 3 inch flexy lift, 285/75/r16 hankook dyna pro mt. Lots of fun

floody

Wheel size expert
Planning for my next purchase to be a pre-78 FJ40, intention being to mechanically refurbish it, get it close to stock, and tour about on historic rego.

Am I mad?
Slow roadtrips and some gravel touring, light off-roading being the intention. I've been wanting another steel bumper rig with a little off-road capability for a while.

Is the heater alright in those things? The same basic heater box was almost too good in my Hilux. Hope to do some snow road touring in the central highlands of Tassie mid next year.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately sold my 4WD years ago. Dumbest thing I ever did.
Diff locked GQ on 35's. Wasn't many places it couldn't go.

stirk

Burner
Diesel noob

4wd is a 1986 Toyota 4runner. My usual choice of fuel for the old Toyota 2L diesel engine, non turbo, has been Caltex or Mobile as they are local and cheaper by 5-10 cents per litre compared to BP or Shell.

On Friday I filled up with BP diesel as it was on the way and not too mich more expensive than the others.

Well, the engine seems stronger, more power and better acceleration, so I assume more octane in the fuel...

Anyone else have the same experience in finding BP a higher octane fuel?

Is a fuel additive the main differentiator between the brands?

Last edited:

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
4wd is a 1986 Toyota 4runner. My usual choice of fuel for the old Toyota 2L diesel engine, non turbo, has been Caltex or Mobile as they are local and cheaper by 5-10 cents per litre compared to BP or Shell.

On Friday I filled up with BP diesel as it was on the way and not too mich more expensive than the others.

Well, the engine seems stronger, more power and better acceleration, so I assume more octane in the fuel...

There's your problem... to many octanes not enuff cetanes...

Fyi diesel fuel rating is cetane. Octane rating is for petrol.

i dont know much about the additives different brands use. It would be interesting if you when back to the old fuel if you notice the decrease in performance. It might be some of the additives in the bp fuel helped clean up the injection system and going back to the old fuel you dont see an immediate decrease in performance. ..

redline316

Likes Dirt

My neighbor said the same thing in his nissan patrol he use to fill up with caltex vortex every week one week he decide to try shell and said there was a definite improvement in power and that the engine seemed quieter. 6 months on and he still swears by the shell fuel.

stirk

Burner
There's your problem... to many octanes not enuff cetanes...

Fyi diesel fuel rating is cetane. Octane rating is for petrol.

i dont know much about the additives different brands use. It would be interesting if you when back to the old fuel if you notice the decrease in performance. It might be some of the additives in the bp fuel helped clean up the injection system and going back to the old fuel you dont see an immediate decrease in performance. ..
Cetanes hey, didn't know that.

My neighbor said the same thing in his nissan patrol he use to fill up with caltex vortex every week one week he decide to try shell and said there was a definite improvement in power and that the engine seemed quieter. 6 months on and he still swears by the shell fuel.
Could be my imagination!

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Stirk, Rob. Can't be bothered writing an essay. Google "octane ratings"
Try cetane for diesel buddy... google cetane gives:
Cetane number or CN is an indicator of the combustion speed of diesel fuel. It is an inverse of the similar octane rating for gasoline (petrol). The CN is an important factor in determining the quality of diesel fuel, but not the only one; other measurements of diesel's quality include (but are not limited to) energy content, density, lubricity, cold-flow properties and sulphur content.[1]

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Try cetane for diesel buddy... google cetane gives:
Cetane number or CN is an indicator of the combustion speed of diesel fuel. It is an inverse of the similar octane rating for gasoline (petrol). The CN is an important factor in determining the quality of diesel fuel, but not the only one; other measurements of diesel's quality include (but are not limited to) energy content, density, lubricity, cold-flow properties and sulphur content.[1]
In short what brand diesel has the best power? Is it in any way bad for the engine or anything? I'm only in a little mini turbo iesel VW Tiguan but keen to know.

Minlak

custom titis
In short what brand diesel has the best power? Is it in any way bad for the engine or anything? I'm only in a little mini turbo iesel VW Tiguan but keen to know.
Most Service Stations sell 2 types of diesel.
1) plain old diesel usually in a high flow pump and usually 5-10c cheaper than
2) premium diesel
Premium diesel will depend on the wholesaler as to what is actually in it but most of them have cleaning additives in them along with other "things" that help them burn etc.
I have a 2016 3.0l Mitsubishi Triton and it runs quieter on Caltex Vortex than it does in BP Ultimate however I usually use BP Ultimate as I get about 80kms extra from a 75litre tank for day to day round town running. On the BP it sounds typical diesel enginish on the Caltex much quieter. I have not tried the shell stuff as my fuel cards are Caltex and BP.

The additives are meant to develop more power and run cleaner eliminating the need for fuel injector cleaner etc every so often in the tanks. I can't discern any appreciable power difference in the fuels by the way.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
could also have something to do with location, as some outlets will add winteriser to the fuel to avoid it forming wax crystals in it at low to very low temps..
if is is still in the UST when the summer fuels go is, it will still mix with it causing a part ratio of winterised fuel
not an issue in warmer climates, your problems will be free water suspended in the fuel..unless the outlet doses their UST's with a biocide like Wynns EDT or similar, your fuel filter will get a sludge like substance in it, that is until you start to loose power and the filter clogs up..buy your fuel from high turnover servo's, the quiet ones are usually quiet for a reason

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Just a little bit of experience ;)

The mn suffers a touch from turbo lag on take off. The long tub can increase chance of chassis failure IF OVERLOADED and used offroad.
Yes, the turbo lag is almost dangerous at times, combine that with an overly enthusiastic traction control system and you have a recipe for disaster...had a 2012 triton in auto for a work car, hated it!
Yes, had a workmate overload his while towing a camper trailer enroute to Karumba, hit a pot hole and snapped both chassis rails! (cost him $5000 to get it and camper back to canberra for insurance claim)