Post your 29er!

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
The 2nd fastest 29er at Dirtworks this year (Ben Mather won it on his Scott 29er)

This one is 9.0kg flat as pictured.
Yes, it is missing gear cables - just doing an overhaul after the race...

Win

Likes Dirt
@Antsonline, no problem getting a seat/handlebar drop with your height
Here's mine with 42mm Wormdrives fitted. Mainly for off road "touring" but they did see some back country Brisbane Forest Park this morning

Win

Likes Dirt
Love the internal cable routing - put this frame high on my wishlist.

Is it fiddly to manage?
In a word, YES
And the quality of the shift deteriorates quickly. I ended up, and have done on 3 frames now, routed them right through

Bodin

GMBC
In a word, YES
And the quality of the shift deteriorates quickly. I ended up, and have done on 3 frames now, routed them right through
Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty OCD about cable performance, so you may have just saved me from an expensive source of frustration. Cheers.

Win

Likes Dirt
$3400 for the Scott frame, wow, it will want to be v/good and v/light for that. It looks v/cool

Win

Likes Dirt
Not serious...?

- Joel
That's what a friend of mine saw in a shop today, I could be stood corrected?
About a grand more than a Niner, but it is a fair bit lighter.
The Niner is more versatile though, being able to run SS and the matching rigid fork option

Last edited:

jay.jay

Likes Bikes

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last edited:

Mal01

Likes Dirt
It must be the Aussie dollar. :)

Very greedy local distributors IMHO. Factory operations like Giant or Specialized are not as bad (these days). The brands that are imported by 3rd party distributors, well, don't get me started.
And the manufacturers too?
From http://www.bikesale.com/scott-scale-29-rc-mountain-frameset-2011.aspx at US$1800 (currently A$1670) :

* Scott bikes are for in store purchase only. We cannot ship Scott bikes due to our dealer agreement. No exceptions.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And the manufacturers too?
From http://www.bikesale.com/scott-scale-29-rc-mountain-frameset-2011.aspx at US$1800 (currently A$1670) :

* Scott bikes are for in store purchase only. We cannot ship Scott bikes due to our dealer agreement. No exceptions.
Isn't that just unreal?

Where does one find the gall to charge Aussies that much?

My point was that until Specialized became a factory operation in Australia that same price discrepancy existed between US and Aussie prices. I figure, and I can be proven wrong, that it was because of the extra fat added in by the local distributor.

EDIT ** I'm flogging a dead horse.

Last edited:
Crap, thats pretty exceptional...twice what you would pay from the states even if you allow $100 for shipping and for GST.

Not all distributors do that...well, we don't anyway. I'm looking at a price revision now on all Singulars and Lenz's, oh, thats down not up. Despite all our current stock being bought at less favourable exchange rates. After all, that isn't really the customers problem.

Bigger distributors do have their costs though. You bring big lots in and do it by sea, the charges to get it off the docks are stupid, then there is staff, storage, finance etc etc...but in reality all that has to change if a distributor is going to survive in a world market. Prices are just so transparent these days.
The problem here is that we are a tiny market, Id bet there are a few shops in the US who sell more Scotts than get sold in Australia, and those shops will be buying them at less than the Aussie distributor has to pay...and then he has to pay all those costs on top.
Bikes are only one of a number of things whose retail industry and the wholesale industry behind it will have to change really soon if they are going to remain in business.

Lard

Likes Dirt
You could fly to the US, buy the frame, fly it back and pay your tax on it for less than you could buy it locally.......ridiculous!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could fly to the US, buy the frame, fly it back and pay your tax on it for less than you could buy it locally.......ridiculous!
exactly, I got stung by a bike shop once on a boutique frame never again (my fault, should have done my research!) ........... and if they have that stupid US buyers only notice I just go to another site or have it shipped to my buddy in CA.

Some brands have adjusted prices (Giant has, sure there are others), was in a shop that sells Niner frames, pretty good prices salesman said yes we had to adjust prices to be in line with OS prices.