Post your all mountain bike

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
I guess if you cant run tubes with the rim strip in, then it makes sense not supplying them with the wheels. Still, it would be nice if they supplied them with the bike, they'd be more use to me than the average shock pump

Bodin

GMBC
Yeah, I'm not sure what Trek thinks "tubeless ready" means but it looked like a normal rim setup to me.
IIRC, "tubeless ready" is more a reference to the bead hook on the rim being compatible with the UST standard. It doesn't have anything to do with whether the rim is sealed or not. Same with "tubeless-ready" tyres - they're not sealed, but the bead on them is compatible with the UST standard.

Personally, I'm a fan of "tubeless-ready", as UST was originally designed to work without sealant. Result: heavy wheel/tyre combo where most people ended up having to add sealant anyway. So, in the early days, a whole bunch of people spent mega-bucks converting for weight-loss reasons and ending up with heavier wheels.

This paved the way for Stan's, but a lot of people installed it poorly with really nasty results, like tyres blowing off rims at high speed. So, making the rims and tyres "tubeless ready" solved the weight AND reliability issues, because we were going to end up with sealant anyway and at least now our tyres aren't blowing off the rims.

Sounds like a marketing pitch, but actually the best outcome IMO. Yes, I paid the 40 bucks extra for the rim strips and valves, but was happy to do do, as I've already made that money back by not having any flat tyres since I bought the bike. And, as mentioned before, what price can you put on a maintenance-free ride? Most tubes lose far more air than a good "tubeless ready" system.

Sent from my thingy using fingers

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Do any bikes actually come without tubes? I dont think the bonty rim strip setup will take a tube with the strip installed.

+1 for the setup though. Ran UST tyres on my dusters with the rim strips, absolutely flawless. Easy to install, easy to set the bead with a pump. No adhesive to worry about. Surprised other manufs havent followed suit.
I ran a tube with the bonty strip for at least a week.

@ Bodin, yeah I like the ease of converting these rims to tubeless, don't get me wrong. I just hate paying money for anything no matter what kind of value I get out of it. Yes, tight arse..., I blame marriage for this.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks farking sick. I need to go for a ride... oh wait... blown ACL and not allowed to.

farrrrk.

Ride report on the Rocky ASAP please!

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
The vivid air was one of the best upgrades I did on my reign. I loved it....how do you find it?
It's awesome, so much plusher and pairs well with new forks.

Need more air in it though and my pump clashes with the frame how the shocks mounted.

Need a more low profile shock pump.. zzz

bv500

Likes Bikes
Mine pump had the same problem but I used a little flexible extension that I use to pump up my football and that clears the frame