Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Plow King

Little bit.
Looking really good. Are the new wheels Spec C BBS?
Thanks. Theyre actually prodrive PWRC wheels. They took me ages to source. Picked them up for a smidge under 1k landed from the UK. The last set I saw sell in austfalia was around a year and a half ago for 2+k

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
that's pretty damn cheap, it's an 05 model isn't it??

was about to buy a 2008 lib gtb auto wagon, cheapest insurance I could get was $1600, 24 year old, full liscence, buying car outright, never had an insurance claim, never lost a demerit point. RACV (who is my current insurer) wanted $2380, as I'm under 30 driving a turbo car and high risk, even insured in my parents name, 55, never had a claim it was $850 a year!

my stock standard 2004 commodore wagon, cost me $500 full comp insured for 7k lol. Doing pretty well on the agreed value in that.

Insurance is a damn joke these days.

mine was a actually due today, they upped my premium by almost $200 (500 to 680) from last year, called up. 30 seconds later, dropped to the same as last year!!
They prey on people not questioning price rises.
You won't like hearing this then. Roughly $1200 fully comprehensive for a highly modified '67 SS/RS Camaro, agreed value, with a $250 excess and a 22 year old male missing several points as the primary driver. Basically mad props to Shannons, they have been fantastic. If you can get shannons to take you they are as good as it gets.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Shannons are ok.

I had my VP HSV insured with them when I was 24 for $1400 a year with an agreed value of $14k.

When I was 27 and moved to QLD it dropped to $1100.

When I stuck it in the shed and deregistered it, they wanted $800 for laid up cover so I dropped them. That was nearly 5 years ago.

Currently paying $548 for the MPS with RACQ, agreed value but $1000 excess.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Will Shannons insure just your daily driver? Or will they only cover your daily if you also have a weekend driver with them?

Last time I looked at them it seemed like they didn't do normal dailys.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Well they insured my VP as my only car and daily driver.

I drove that bloody thing every day for 5 years, feeding it fuel at the rate of 21 L/100km!

Last edited:

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Will Shannons insure just your daily driver? Or will they only cover your daily if you also have a weekend driver with them?

Last time I looked at them it seemed like they didn't do normal dailys.
They basically insure enthusiast cars. If you can show them the car is something special, a project you are working on or is unique they will take it. Once you have an enthusiast car insured with them they will insure any other cars you have. That was the deal last I checker. They prefer classics and muscle compared to Japanese imports, but it is kind of a case by case deal. At least, that was how it worked last I checked. They don't mind if your enthusiast car is your daily.

binner

Hath shat hymself
a plug

I would recommend RYNO insurance, very similar to shannons but a bit cheaper and you get full salvage rights to your vehicle if it is wrote off. I think Shannons have a fee if you want your vehicle after wrote off. I agreed value my ute resto at $45K no questions asked.I have already used them and all documentation was electronic with a few phone calls about the claim. The assesor came out the day after the incident and had all paperwork done the next day. Very professional I thought.

here http://www.rynoinsurance.com.au/

Cjsxrt

Likes Bikes
My insurance is full comp with mods and accessories through suncorp for $760 and that's a xr6 turbo ute with 400rwhp

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I tried Shannon's once, couldn't get insurance with them.
had a 98 Gx liberty wagon converted to v4 sti engine/driveline, the all the other compulsory suspension and brake upgrades... About 190kwatw with vf34, fmic, 18psi.

It wasn't unique enough for them and just a modified car.
they said as it was my first 'performance' car I had to have owned it for over a year before they insured it.

Buying new cars sucks, no matter how much money you have, you never have enough for the car you want.

when I had a 5k budget I wanted to spend 10k, 10k I wanted to spend 15k, now I've got 25k budget and I everything i want is getting closer to 30!!!

Cjsxrt

Likes Bikes
when I had a 5k budget I wanted to spend 10k, 10k I wanted to spend 15k, now I've got 25k budget and I everything i want is getting closer to 30!!![/QUOTE]

Tell me about it I'm in the market for a new ute (kid on the way) but trying to find someone to buy my utes going to be hard to find

wombat

Lives in a hole
They basically insure enthusiast cars. If you can show them the car is something special, a project you are working on or is unique they will take it. Once you have an enthusiast car insured with them they will insure any other cars you have. That was the deal last I checker. They prefer classics and muscle compared to Japanese imports, but it is kind of a case by case deal. At least, that was how it worked last I checked. They don't mind if your enthusiast car is your daily.
Right, makes sense. Bit of a bugger though, I know they're meant to be good to deal with but I doubt what I'm looking at would constitute an enthusiast car. Ah well.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Ok so last night I did the numbers and worked out I can get a set of the Oz Racing Alleggerita HLT with tyres for approx $2800 landed to my door with all taxes and freight paid. I put in an order for the Oz Racing wheels last night from Tire Rack only to get an email saying Oz Racing won't allow them to export their products to Australia. No chance I'm spending $4000 for wheels and tyres (thats what I have been quoted from Beaurepaires and Bridgestone) from the local vendors. They can stick that up their arse.

Its a shame, these are sweet wheels.

Have currently sent enquiries for Work Emotion wheels.

Failing that there are the Speedy Carbine wheels.

This is what they will be going on:

Last edited:

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have currently sent enquiries for Work Emotion wheels.
What offset do you need to fit the Mazda? Most wheels look great in agressive offsets (closer to ET0) but they're usually not the ones that will fit under your car. Have a look at a few pics of the CR Kai in the offset you'll be running.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Original wheels are 18x7.5 with at 52 offset.

Can go 8" wide with an offset of around 45-48 without scrubbing according to forums.

If it all gets a bit too hard, I'm just gonna put my car on jack stands and take the wheels to get sprayed matte black or dark grey.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Original wheels are 18x7.5 with at 52 offset.

Can go 8" wide with an offset of around 45-48 without scrubbing according to forums.

If it all gets a bit too hard, I'm just gonna put my car on jack stands and take the wheels to get sprayed matte black or dark grey.
I'd be a bit wary of changing the offset much on the MPS.

Front wheel drive and 190kw has significant torque steer issues, although reasonably managed by traction control on std wheels. They also have an inherent "sensitive" (often describes as fidgety) quality to the steering when punting along on tighter winding roads. Less offset is likely to exacerbate both.

Tyre quality seems to be critical to the way the MPS drives as well. My mate finds the OEM bridgies are more economic than the much cheaper Yokohama alternative for pretty much the same performance.

If you haven't seen them already, a few good sites for MPS fans:
http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/
http://www.ozmpsclub.com
http://www.mrtperformance.com.au

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
I'd be a bit wary of changing the offset much on the MPS.

Front wheel drive and 190kw has significant torque steer issues, although reasonably managed by traction control on std wheels. They also have an inherent "sensitive" (often describes as fidgety) quality to the steering when punting along on tighter winding roads. Less offset is likely to exacerbate both.

Tyre quality seems to be critical to the way the MPS drives as well. My mate finds the OEM bridgies are more economic than the much cheaper Yokohama alternative for pretty much the same performance.

If you haven't seen them already, a few good sites for MPS fans:
http://www.mpsgarage.com.au/
http://www.ozmpsclub.com
http://www.mrtperformance.com.au
Really, thats interesting. Thanks for that. Been trying to figure out why Mazda went with that weird combination of width and offset.

I'm not too keen on increasing torque steer. I'm used to it now and can anticipate it and adjust accordingly but certainly wouldn't want it any more invasive than it is. I took it for a good thrash up Upper Brookfield Rd on Sat and had an absolute ball. I think my mate in the passenger seat shit his pants when the boost kicked in.

OEM tyres on the 2011 models were Dunlop Sport 2050 I think. I'm looking to replace them with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3's as the Dunlops wear out within 15,000 km.

I think I'll just get my existing wheels re-finished, its a lot less hassle. There are a lot of conflicting accounts on those forums about wheel widths and offsets. Some people need to roll the arches, others don't. We have other cars so it doesn't matter if the MPS is up on jack stands until the wheels are done.