Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I have posted this before somewhere on this forum. I didn't think it was possible but its gotten even worse!!
I knew I had seen it before, but had no idea where. Gotten worse, and now up for sale to some unfortunate soul. Generally, even if I don't like the end result I at least appreciate the skill, effort and commitment that has been put into the final product. But man, that thing is bad.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Anyone owned or driven a VE SS? Is it a barge or id it fun?

I wanted to get a Liberty GT SpecB, but manual ones are hard to find, so a v8 is next on the list.

scblack

Leucocholic

I wanted to get a Liberty GT SpecB, but manual ones are hard to find, so a v8 is next on the list.
I had SV6 as my company car for a while. Sits flat and holds on well enough, but I'll never say it was genuinely enjoyable to drive. Too big and too much heft to be flickable and fun as such. Bigger v8 may help somewhat but that's just throwing the barge around more quickly. Seats are big, steering actually pretty good.

i prefer something smaller and more involving.

redbruce

Eats Squid

They are not bad for a big boy but once you have experienced all wheel drive, unless all you just like doing is burnouts and sliding around, its hard to consider two wheel drive.

My sons into Subies and one of his mates has a tricked up (Gen 4 - no expense spared in suspension, tuning, etc) spec B for sale (Melbourne). PM me if interested in details.

Oh, and read the forums on VE issues before you commit. While the VE was superior to its predecessors in dynamics, GM went backwards in reliability with that one (and most of the LS engines still burn oil).

If you are considering a big car, make sure you give a FG falcon XR6 turbo or XR8 a drive. Arguably superior to the VE (and that from a Holden fan) and if two seats is enough, the Typhoon ute is amazing.

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Those of you that have driven the N/A 4 cylinder 2/2.5L gen 4 liberty/outbacks, how did they go power wise? Were they badly underpowered?

Need a p plate legal car in the future and I want something manual, with a bit of space, AWD or RWD, that isnt a commo or a falcon. I like the look of the gen 4 subie wagons, but I am a bit worried about the power. A 6 cylinder lib would be great but they are a few grand more and I wont be able to stretch that far. Should I look elsewhere?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Those of you that have driven the N/A 4 cylinder 2/2.5L gen 4 liberty/outbacks, how did they go power wise? Were they badly underpowered?

Need a p plate legal car in the future and I want something manual, with a bit of space, AWD or RWD, that isnt a commo or a falcon. I like the look of the gen 4 subie wagons, but I am a bit worried about the power. A 6 cylinder lib would be great but they are a few grand more and I wont be able to stretch that far. Should I look elsewhere?
Neither are powerhouses but the 2l is very ordinary. The first one I drove (looking for a first car for my son a couple of years ago) I thought had a worn out engine. Turns out the car is just a bit much weight wise and every 2 L I drove was the same.

I got my son a 2.5 gen 3 (we couldn't quite stretch to the Gen 4 at the time) and find it a nice drive in manual (Autos are plain gutless). I much prefer it to my tweaked Commodore.

The 6 cyls are more powerful but very heavy on fuel and they have had a chequered history re reliability. Gen 4's are better than earlier ones in regard the latter.

Pretty sure all Gen 4 6 cyls are auto. The auto's are very, very expensive to fix.

Subies are pretty reliable if serviced according to the book but all models can suffer center diff failures, a $1300+ repair, which becomes a $3500 gearbox repair if not picked up early enough).

Suspension is notoriously short lived (especially the rear shocks and sometimes springs, esp. on outback). Dampers are usually well and truly done by 150,000k (rebound is weak new) so allow replacement in the budget.

Pays to get any prospective purchase checked out by a Subie mechanic (not RACV!).

As I stated earlier, once you have experienced all wheel drive, two wheel just doesn't cut it any more.

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Thanks mate, some helpful advice. All the 6cyl outbacks are auto, but the 6cyl lib is available in manual. Definitely dont want an auto, I much prefer driving manual and it seems that most autos are more expensive to repair than their manual counterparts.

I have a good mate who is an auto mechanic so Ill be sure to bring him along when I go to check one out and give it a good check over, anything we are in doubt about we will check with subie.

Plow King

Little bit.
I had a 2.5l 4cyl N/A subaru before ny current car and it was slow as balls and handled like crap.

If that helps lol had the same fuel consumption as my sti. Not sure how that works.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I had a 2.5l 4cyl N/A subaru before ny current car and it was slow as balls and handled like crap.

If that helps lol had the same fuel consumption as my sti. Not sure how that works.
Compared to an sti, everything will be slow as balls and handle like crap, true?

redbruce

Eats Squid
Compared to my 2002 CR125, all three have a poor ability to get through gaps less than 1 meter.
Like!

What my Commodore lacks in go is more than made up for by my VFR800.

I havent pitted it against a GT-R (or an Evo) but it dispenses Clubbies, STI's, FPV's and hot hatches OK.

But then Fireblades, Gixers and the like make my VFR look slow and handle like crap.

Last edited: