Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Slap some coilovers on the subaru and its much of muchness really
Well no. Not according to my mates at Centreline suspension (Melbourne).

The Imprezza is a good car for what it is but there are design compromises that the Mitsu (and I'm guessing the GT-R) didnt have to accommodate within the design brief.

Also a recent dyno day in Melb with Subie forum members highlighted that a stock Mitsu outshines even STI's with huge money thrown at them (> $45K in one case).

My sons mate has had STI's and currently owns a worked Liberty GT B, APR tuned Golf GTI and a Makinen Evo VI special.

The GT B is for sale if anyone is interested (no expense spared, 250Kw at the wheels - unopened engine on 21psi boost) to finance another project car.

Last edited:

camzh

Likes Dirt
Speaking of slow and handle like crap.
I just bought a new (2004) Volvo and looking to replace the stereo.
It's been 5 years since I did any stereo work and it would seem that all the regular places to buy after market stereos have disappeared...
Can anyone suggest a good place in Sydney to go and have a look at some stereos ?

Aussie_Ryder

Likes Dirt
Well no. Not according to my mates at Centreline suspension (Melbourne).

The Imprezza is a good car for what it is but there are design compromises that the Mitsu (and I'm guessing the GT-R) didnt have to accommodate within the design brief.

Also a recent dyno day in Melb with Subie forum members highlighted that a stock Mitsu outshines even STI's with huge money thrown at them (> $45K in one case).

My sons mate has had STI's and currently owns a worked Liberty Spec B, worked GTI and a Makkinen Evo special.

The Spec B is for sale if anyone is interested (no expense spared, 221Kw at the wheels).
What the F**k did the bloke spend the $45k on? I've driven both current cars in their stock form and I thought the STI was faster. I didn't like the evo at all but then again I hated it before I got in it because of the badge.

redbruce

Eats Squid
What the F**k did the bloke spend the $45k on? I've driven both current cars in their stock form and I thought the STI was faster. I didn't like the evo at all but then again I hated it before I got in it because of the badge.
Build journey (warning lots of pages - start at page 38 for current engine):

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

It made 270kw at the wheels (2.5L) on 98 RON fuel and over 300 on E85 (RTR Dandenong http://www.roadtrackrally.com.au/store/about)

Power is only limited by turbo size currently (for reliability).

Your seat of the pants impression is also supported by numerous test reports. In objective measurements, those reports have generally found the Evo to be quicker.

Last edited:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Cosworth was mentioned along with a whole heap of turbo and telemetry stuff I'd never heard of.

It made 270kw at the wheels (2.5L), 50kw more than sons mates for an additional cost $30K. Supposedly built to go 300Kw but (allegedly) no one in Melb with skills required to tune it.

Most of my sons well heeled rev head mates use some guy in Sydney for tuning.

Your seat of the pants impression is also supported by numerous test reports. However in objective measurements, those reports have generally found the Evo to be quicker.
$45k and it only made 270?? Prob could have left the big gay chromies off it ey.

Mate of mine used to have a 450awkw (race fuel) liberty (engine got reshelled into a bugeye wrx) but at the time was one of the most powerful ejs in australia (diablo was number 1)

Was a fucking beast. 3rd gear at 120 and it would jump over 3 lanes as soon as it came on boost. What a hoot

Plow King

Little bit.
Cosworth was mentioned along with a whole heap of turbo and telemetry stuff I'd never heard of.

It made 270kw at the wheels (2.5L), 50kw more than sons mates for an additional cost $30K. Supposedly built to go 300Kw but (allegedly) no one in Melb with skills required to tune it.

Most of my sons well heeled rev head mates use some guy in Sydney for tuning.

Your seat of the pants impression is also supported by numerous test reports. However in objective measurements, those reports have generally found the Evo to be quicker.
Theyre exactly the same power 0-60 in stock form. Nfi what he spent 45k on. Did the budget include stickers and subwoofers?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

redbruce

Eats Squid
$45k and it only made 270?? Prob could have left the big gay chromies off it ey.

Mate of mine used to have a 450awkw (race fuel) liberty (engine got reshelled into a bugeye wrx) but at the time was one of the most powerful ejs in australia (diablo was number 1)
Race fuel (130 RON) would make a huge difference (eg while the car in question only made 270wkw on 98 RON, it made over 300 on E85)

Must have also been big bucks; this gives an idea of what is required for 600whp (450kw) and not be a hand grenade.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1103_subaru_ej_series_engine_tech/viewall.html

Last edited:

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I've never really understood why people try to build engines to numbers. "I want xxxkw at the wheels". I don't know how many times I've heard "it made 195 on the dyno but I wanted 200 so I spent another $5k to get it". Power figures mean dick and as far as I'm concerned are just another my Internet dick is bigger than yours affair. It seems in this Internet age the reason we build cars has changed somewhat. Sure there's always been trailer queen showcars but it seems that average guys these days actually modify their cars to be worse. Too much chasing of numbers not increasing drivability and reliability and don't even get me started on coilovers and "stanced" cars.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Race fuel (130 RON) would make a huge difference (eg while the car in question only made 270wkw on 98 RON, it made over 300 on E85)

Must have also been big bucks; this gives an idea of what is required for 600whp (450kw) and not be a hand grenade.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1103_subaru_ej_series_engine_tech/viewall.html
Tbh it was a self built engine (guy now runs a subi workshop and races in rally aus) and was being developed for a good 18 months. Not as much money as you'd think (but if you wanna buy any dumb ej cams I may know a guy) but lots of time and effort. Afaik the motor is still going, detuned, maybe 2 years after he got rid of it

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
I've never really understood why people try to build engines to numbers. "I want xxxkw at the wheels". I don't know how many times I've heard "it made 195 on the dyno but I wanted 200 so I spent another $5k to get it". Power figures mean dick and as far as I'm concerned are just another my Internet dick is bigger than yours affair. It seems in this Internet age the reason we build cars has changed somewhat. Sure there's always been trailer queen showcars but it seems that average guys these days actually modify their cars to be worse. Too much chasing of numbers not increasing drivability and reliability and don't even get me started on coilovers and "stanced" cars.
Mate people have always done shit jobs at modifying cars. Look at bigs n littles on hotrods. Sure it looks dope as hell but try taking a corner at speed?

Also, fyi, drag racing is an old school dyno. You mph is directly related to your hp and it can be worked out surprisingly accurately from a few runs down the strip.

In cars, power is king. Don't kid yourself

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hmmm.

I think I get the thrust of your comment, but you still need a specification to design/work to.

I'm old school. Spent the late 70's though 80's involved with the auto (performance engines) business (rev heads, road reg, club and a bit of drag racing). The internet didn't exist, we learn't by trial and error and hands on training (a big thankyou to John Bennett and Head Mod for those of you old enough to remember - Moffats Lotus Cortina and Coke Mustang, Ron Harrop howler, contribution to Aussie bike racing http://www.ozlaverda.com/john-bennett-head-mod-engine-development-t97.html, etc)

However, the reason we built cars was exactly the same. Nothing has changed.

We always understood what the goal was. You may not quite make it, but you knew what had to be engineered in so it wasn't a hand grenade if (generally when) it did.

By way of example, a blueprinted cleveland 351 could make 160kw at the rear wheels using stock components and careful assemble. However one capable of 300+ kw at the rear wheels needed fundamental mods to the block and support ancillaries before even considering manifolds, cam, fuel supply and exhaust.

Most of us also understood driveability (appropriate torque delivery and reliability/consistancy of tune for purpose).

Maybe the internet has skewed the system toward the posers a bit more but element that always existed anyway.

Coilovers, not a panacea for all evils (way too many are shit) but the good ones are just that (but not cheap). We actually used to make our own from Koni, Bilstein and Pedders underpinnings.

Stanced. Fashion over function. Refer to my comment (in a general sense) below on hotrods.

Mate people have always done shit jobs at modifying cars. Look at bigs n littles on hotrods. Sure it looks dope as hell but try taking a corner at speed?

Also, fyi, drag racing is an old school dyno. You mph is directly related to your hp and it can be worked out surprisingly accurately from a few runs down the strip.
Hot rods are all about looks and straight line. Who cares if they can be turned around.

Shit jobs on mods is nothing new. There have and will always be wannabe's, shysters and those with NFI.

Drag racing (includes timing over a long straight in circuit racing). Absolutely correct there, we used to ground truth the dyno (and our installation engineering) by this method all the time.

Last edited:

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I've always approached building from a balance point of view. Power is good but not if the rest of the car isn't up to it. I guess that's what lead me from FR to 4WD(AWD). Traction is the key to speed and that's essentially what everything other than the engine serves to provide. Trans, diff, suspension, and brakes are all there so we can get that power to the ground. This is what I was aiming at in my earlier post. Too many people these days go to a workshop and want a power figure rather than a well balanced car.

camzh

Likes Dirt
Speaking of slow and handle like crap.
I just bought a new (2004) Volvo and looking to replace the stereo.
It's been 5 years since I did any stereo work and it would seem that all the regular places to buy after market stereos have disappeared...
Can anyone suggest a good place in Sydney to go and have a look at some stereos ?
Anyone ?

10 char