Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Ninteen ninety one. 28 years ago.

Nah. EVs won't go anywhere.

Fascinating documentary:

I didn't know the lead BMW i8 designer left & took half his workforce to China...

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
More interested in that E30 - what’s going on where the number plate would be?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know about that. These are proudly front and center in a future mobility display.

The video makes a lot of good points about the legislation driving the change. Something that has been pushed against deaf ears in Australia.
People still have to buy the cars, at the moment they would rather buy SUV's.

BMW have tried to selling plug in hybrids of the same variant at the same price point as the combustion engine version. People still shy away from them.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Plug-in hybrids are stupid. You need to go full EV to get the benefits of EV.

The thing is, I can't go into a BMW or Merc or Audi or VW dealership & buy an EV today. And I can do that with other brands. It's bullshit when it's said people aren't ready. They aren't ready because the product isn't there.

Germany has lost the plot.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Someone around the corner from me has an i8 - quite a striking car in the metal.

Sometimes it goes by silently, sometimes with the engine runnnng.

Hybrid certainly seems to work well for performance like in the Porsch 918.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plug-in hybrids are stupid. You need to go full EV to get the benefits of EV.

The thing is, I can't go into a BMW or Merc or Audi or VW dealership & buy an EV today. And I can do that with other brands. It's bullshit when it's said people aren't ready. They aren't ready because the product isn't there.

Germany has lost the plot.
How is the i3 not an EV?

Full electric MINI is on its way!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
i3 is an EV now, remember it had that range extender motor? Another sop to those "who are not ready". Ze Germans.

I'd own an i3, but I think I'd prefer the Peugeot 208 EV or the Vauxhall equivalent.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i3 is an EV now, remember it had that range extender motor? Another sop to those "who are not ready". Ze Germans.

I'd own an i3, but I think I'd prefer the Peugeot 208 EV or the Vauxhall equivalent.
i3 was always available without range extender, its now only available without range extender. People bought the one with the range extender.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I like the idea of a hybrid. If it had 60km battery range then I'd almost never run out of battery, but for the couple of times a year I need to do a long trip then I can still get there without having to stop. Best of both worlds.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
i3 was always available without range extender, its now only available without range extender. People bought the one with the range extender.
I know. But the non-RE model had a really lousy range because BMW put a tiny battery in it.

They are now offering a large battery swap-in IIRC.

You trying to convince me that the German car industry is doing EV well because of the i3? :p

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope, just pointing it out that there is options and has been for a while, but not many in this country want them yet.

Original i3 battery size was fine for its intended use, was always planned that as battery tech got better range would increase.
I drove one for my 30km each way commute without issue. Programs were in place to make conventional vehicles available for out of town trips, but in reality most owners have a 2nd car anyway.