Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Here's a bit of hardcore pr0n for you guys. 170 classic/muscle/race/weird and wonderful cars (inc 5 or 6 bikes) being auctioned in Dandenong now.

https://www.graysonline.com/automot...25&cgu={ceaa6223-2262-4e68-9e0b-36232b623876}

View attachment 360424

View attachment 360426
I bought a 64 Beetle that was converted into a Baja bug in the mid 90's, I spent about 3 months doing the body up and the original motor was run out of oil so I replaced it with a modified secondhand 1500 motor. That motor sat for over a year before I installed it and it end up having a small crack in the engine case that pissed oil, I then bought another engine case, swapped the bits over onto it and took it for a few runs on the old farm we had and that case cracked in a different spot. I end up selling it for a big loss after that.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I bought a 64 Beetle that was converted into a Baja bug in the mid 90's, I spent about 3 months doing the body up and the original motor was run out of oil so I replaced it with a modified secondhand 1500 motor. That motor sat for over a year before I installed it and it end up having a small crack in the engine case that pissed oil, I then bought another engine case, swapped the bits over onto it and took it for a few runs on the old farm we had and that case cracked in a different spot. I end up selling it for a big loss after that.
I had a couple of type 3 wagons in the late 80's and had similar experiences. Broke 2 cases. A crazy man lived around the corner, and I hung out with him in his shed a bit back then. (never could afford one of his engines though) I moved on to a Datto 1600, then an LC Torana.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I had a couple of type 3 wagons in the late 80's and had similar experiences. Broke 2 cases. A crazy man lived around the corner, and I hung out with him in his shed a bit back then. (never could afford one of his engines though) I moved on to a Datto 1600, then an LC Torana.

hahhh stan pobjoy ehhh

Flow-Rider

Burner

The bloke I done my Apprentice with came from a VW performace shop, we used to get a few hotties come in from time to time, the power to weight ratio was great for back then. I actually bought a Mahle 1800cc barrel kit with the graphite coated pistons for mine but it was too costly on apprentice wages to go through with the engine build.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I helped my mate build a large dual port 2180 with forged, fully counterweighted needle brg crank, forged rods and pistons, silicon barrels, lumpy bump stick and 48 IDAs and a megaphone exhaust. It went from his off road racer to the buggy or road car with different exhaust.

Cost a fortune.

Wasnt that good though it spun out to 8,000rpm.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I've got a mate that has been into VW's on and off since school. Learnt way more about them than I ever planned to. His are always low though, not particularly fast. His first beetle caught fire from the ol' broken fuel barb trip while we were headed to a party. It had only been airbagged for a month or so, we thought the pop was a bag blowing until the smoke overtook us. He didn't appreciate me just grabbing my carton of beer and fleeing while he tried to put it out. He has a type 3 wagon now but it's broken and lives in his shed. Always liked type 3s.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've got a mate that has been into VW's on and off since school. Learnt way more about them than I ever planned to. His are always low though, not particularly fast. His first beetle caught fire from the ol' broken fuel barb trip while we were headed to a party. It had only been airbagged for a month or so, we thought the pop was a bag blowing until the smoke overtook us. He didn't appreciate me just grabbing my carton of beer and fleeing while he tried to put it out. He has a type 3 wagon now but it's broken and lives in his shed. Always liked type 3s.
They were a self ignitable car when people installed the incorrect battery in them, you're only meant to fit the batteries in them with the sunken posts as the rear seat frames short them to earth when a fatty sits on them.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Stan is a legend in many ways, ive bought heaps of him and mick motors in the past 25 years. I don't even want to think how much money I have spent with these guys... had wayyyyyyyy too many VW's in my life. Like I have been saying , time to pull back sell all my classics and buy an AMAROK.
:p:D:D

Flow-Rider

Burner
Stan is a legend in many ways, ive bought heaps of him and mick motors in the past 25 years. I don't even want to think how much money I have spent with these guys... had wayyyyyyyy too many VW's in my life. Like I have been saying , time to pull back sell all my classics and buy an AMAROK.
No wonder you're always broke :D, It was an expensive hobby before the internet days.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
They were a self ignitable car when people installed the incorrect battery in them, you're only meant to fit the batteries in them with the sunken posts as the rear seat frames short them to earth when a fatty sits on them.
When I was a baby ( like <1 y.o.) my Mum was driving along in her beetle and it decided to ignite.
I was in a cot/basket/whatever in the back seat.
Mum was a bit slow to realise what was going on and thought all the people were just being very friendly with all their waving and pointing.
By the time she realised and pulled over things were getting pretty smoky and warm out back....
She yanked me out of the back seat just before the small fire found the rest of the fuel and The Big German BBQ kicked off in earnest.

As luck would have it, she was right outside the local fire station and the fellas wandered out & put the bloody thing out of its misery.
It made the front page of The Manly Daily in '79 (woot woot!)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
When I was a baby ( like <1 y.o.) my Mum was driving along in her beetle and it decided to ignite.
Mum was a bit slow to realise what was going on and thought all the people were just being very friendly with all their waving and pointing.
By the time she realised and pulled over things were getting pretty smoky and warm out back....
She yanked me out of the back seat just before the small fire found the rest of the fuel and The Big German BBQ kicked off in earnest.

As luck would have it, she was right outside the local fire station and the fellas wandered out & put the bloody thing out of its misery.
I remember driving with a family friend when I was kid and we came across an early Kombi with the engine cover open and flames just starting. Pair of dumb looking hippies staring at it... We'd recently stopped at a servo and old mate grabbed the two litre bottle of Coke he'd just bought and ran to the Kombi shaking it like mad - made an effective fire extinguisher :) Job done.

Left the hippies to figure out the rest for themselves.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Oh boy, I'm glad that turned out well.

Yeah pretty common, I used to find evidence of charred rear seats on many beetles when checking the battery during a service. The soft padding on the seats is like a synthetic straw material and ignites real well, a lot of people fit incorrect batteries in them with the raised terminal posts and just throw a piece of rubber over the top of the terminals, the rubber eventually wears down and the seat springs short on the battery and then ignites the rear seat and you soon have a fire.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube