Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'd forgotten my Sherco 290 is made by the Frenchies. So I do like something motorised and French. Indeed, it's been so reliable that I completely forgot its French-made. I have cracked a few Excel front rims but they're made by the Japanese.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Had a run on a Sherco when I was competing, preferred my hrc. Must be me.
We all have our preferences, and trials is definitely one of those sports where being comfortable on the bike is huge.
Was the sherco a bad bike or did you just not gel with it?

I can’t handle honda mx bikes but KTM and yamaha just seem to work for me.

Haakon

has moral fibre, who'd have thunk that?
Modern computerised cars... Got flywheel target programmed (accelerate to 4000rpn in third, coast down to idle and then accelerate again, sets the torque calibration in the ecu or something...) that cured 80% of the pinging it had (last 20% is 14 month old fuel...). Idle still wonky. Surges with the MAP sensor connected, drives well without it so hoping a new MAP will sort the idle.

An hour freaking out about an ABS ecu fault code complaining about an invalid injection multiplex signal. Turns out that was just the ABS ecu feeling some solidarity with the engine ecu and when the fault code for the unplugged MAP sensor was in the engine ecu the ABS pump also complained. I guess the ABS computer does traction and stability control and needs good engine telemetry...

Dales Cannon

Odious Geriatric
Staff member
We all have our preferences, and trials is definitely one of those sports where being comfortable on the bike is huge.
Was the sherco a bad bike or did you just not gel with it?

I can’t handle honda mx bikes but KTM and yamaha just seem to work for me.
Bike was fine. Owner moved from a very lowly C grade bike to the Sherco and we swapped for a play. He was a bit whelmed by the change. I just wasnt comfortable. The hrc had more bottom end torque and the engine came on stronger but the Sherco had more oomph at the top. It was just a get used to it thing. Both bikes way more capable than me. I had spent many hours on the hrc by this time and it was the norm. Both bikes scared my mate who was used to 175cc of normal 2 stroke tune compared with nearly 300cc of trials tune. Sat my bike on its arse first run, ah let's not use 1st gear unless you are climbing a vertical wall.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Bike was fine. Owner moved from a very lowly C grade bike to the Sherco and we swapped for a play. He was a bit whelmed by the change. I just wasnt comfortable. The hrc had more bottom end torque and the engine came on stronger but the Sherco had more oomph at the top. It was just a get used to it thing. Both bikes way more capable than me. I had spent many hours on the hrc by this time and it was the norm. Both bikes scared my mate who was used to 175cc of normal 2 stroke tune compared with nearly 300cc of trials tune. Sat my bike on its arse first run, ah let's not use 1st gear unless you are climbing a vertical wall.
One day I’ll have a go on a trials bike. A new one anyway, my uncle has an old montesa cota that I’ve had a play on but these new sherco’s, gasgas’s and whatever else is around are next level cool.

Totally different to the 125mx’ers and big thumper enduro bikes I’ve owned, I’m sure I’ll make a fool of myself but that’s ok.

Haakon

has moral fibre, who'd have thunk that?
Brother had a Bultaco briefly back in the day. Gear and rear brake levers on the wrong side was my enduring memory..

link1896

Wheel size expert
Haakon don’t give up how

Surely French ebay has a cheap megasquirt ecu with loom good to go? Then you can enable anti lag.

My own tale of woe drags on. Cut into the fuel pumps wiring loom and added a connector. Ran the pump from a spare battery. Pump isn’t priming. She was super low on fuel when this drama started, I’ve since poured in 40 litres.

Need my lovely assistant to hold down the Schrader valve on the fuel rail while pump is running to see if we get any fuel through.

Failing that, road side under lights fuel filter replacement here we come.