Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
MAD MIKE :)
You can do an automotive engineering degree in Oz (Melb only for the last year i think). I chose Italy coz i have Italian citizenship. Its a 3yr (compared to 4yr in Oz) European degree course (not a cereal box degree) AND over their as a citizen itll cost me under $5kAUD for the ENTIRE 3yr course (compared to $30kAUD+ in Oz). Being wog aint so bad, PLUS the North Italian girls are hawt as hell and ill be in the Alps (big ass mountains for boarding and biking!!) GAME ON ;)

Mark :)
I was always looking at engineering so this sounds like a good option, I have done some research and I will have to move to melbourne or adelaide, it will probably be the latter as you can do a double degree with mathematical science, and I am very mathematically savy so it should be a handy course to have, and will most likely help with the engineering course.

But on the other hand, there is awesome riding spots in and around Melbourne:D

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Heya FAIRY!!

Yeah i know a bit about roll centre and its effects.
I have moved the roll centre in my RX3 a fair bit and it made quite a positive difference!!

$100USD is alot for a book man, scan the net first, their is SHITELOADS of info around. Just be wary of the source, being the internet, it might be some P-plater expert modding his mums magna...

Changing the mini to 4link is a decent job man. Ya gotta think is it REALLY worth it?? There are shedload of components for minis around and if you need more than what they can offer, then changing the suspension geometry would be next on the cards. Unless your really getting into top end racing, leave the suspension geometry as is IMO and save the headaches!! It will be a great learning experience, but alot of work.

VWNUT!!
50mm = 2"
Thats about as much as most lowered springs go anyways. Ofcourse you can get the KING superlow series etc, but i wont sell them unless the customer buys shorter travel shocks coz they will shag shocks quite fast.
2" drop isnt an issue for more people and i think the rule is fair. Too many idiots out there droppin their cars waaaay too low not understanding anything about the dangers of massive bumpsteer etc

nskz

Likes Dirt
Hopefully they are semi sensible about this lowering thing, IE you just have to go and get it inspected/ticked off at the RTA and not need to go through a blue slip. Either way I bet you will have to now pay a little extra to the RTA for the privilege of having a lowered car.

Anyway I've been reading this thread for a bit with interest, thought I’d throw up my daily.

- Manual VL Wagon, Stock, unopened NA RB30 230,000Km (at time of turbo install), standard head gasket, 9:1 comp

Mods:

- Standard T3 turbo off a VLT (I run it at 12psi)
- VLT injectors
- VLT ecu, with nistune chip installed
- 3” exhaust from dump pimp back (one straight through muff), modified stock VLT dump pipe to flow a bit more, removed casting ridge etc.
- Front mount 600x245 (I think)
- Few air box mods
- wide band lambda sensor
- VLT brakes

The whole basis of the project was 'how to make my daily shitter just a little bit more exciting with a minimal outlay of cash'. It also had to look totally stock, hence hidden gauges and the cooler hidden/painted black etc. Basically I just bought a turbo conversion off ebay and then made some parts myself/modified a few things to get the maximum potential out of it. Total outlay was about 2K including the front mount and the wideband (i already had the car obviously).

To achieve this I made most things myself (engineer) and fitted it all myself. Tuned it on the street (hence wideband + a set of brake pads ;) Result; 190rwkw and plenty of fun, 9.5/100km on the highway 12L/100km city cruising (lots more if you pin it). Purrs like a kitten and surprises a shitload of people because A) the paint/panel is average at best b) the VL is a pretty light car at 1280kg so with 190rwkw it goes alright 

For a long time I’ve considered throwing a GT35r and a set of GTR injectors or something like that on it and winding it up but have not got around to it.

Here's a few pics from the build http://picasaweb.google.com.au/cjwood007/VLWeb?authkey=Gv1sRgCNP-ssHdg-2WngE#

floody

Wheel size expert
How do you go for injector duty with the 270cc ones at 12psi nskz? I just bought a tidy stock R31 wagon and want to do a low blow RB30E+T for it. Probably largely as above but with darkhalf VLT reflash of the stock ecu rather than the nistune one (which I've got in my HR31 coupe) and probably only 8-10psi.

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nskz, I think I love your idea of gauge mounting, genius! What sort of gauge is that on the left? Is it by chance a Calibre gauge?

And that sucks to be in NSW, having to get something checked over/engineered like that would potentially have the inspector looking through the rest of your car while they're at it.

On another note, is it illegal to mount gauges on your dash? There's a spot to the right of my speedo and stuff on the top surface of my dashboard which I'd like to mount a gauge on and was wondering how it would go with the po-po. From what I can see though, it shouldn't be within my line of sight through the windscreen, as in from the angle I look at it, I can still see the bottom of the windscreen.

Thoughts?

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Well guys, Dad's given me his S2 R31. :D

I'll get some pictures next time I go up to his place.
Score dude!

Nice working tuning to 190rwkw reliably yourself nskz, also interested to see what the duty cycle is.

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
NSKZ!!

FINALLY, someone that knows how to use lockwire!!
NSKZ, your few and far between, keep up the good work :)

Mark!!

nskz

Likes Dirt
How do you go for injector duty with the 270cc ones at 12psi nskz? I just bought a tidy stock R31 wagon and want to do a low blow RB30E+T for it. Probably largely as above but with darkhalf VLT reflash of the stock ecu rather than the nistune one (which I've got in my HR31 coupe) and probably only 8-10psi.
To be honest I've never checked but I know people push them a lot further, which is why I never checked. Having the wideband in that situation is a pretty big help because you can see when you might have fuel problems, which I've never had, or even come close. I took a lot of fuel out of the top of the stock map anyway; stock map is pretty rich up top as they added fuel to keep things cooler (no cooler on a stock vl).

At 8-10psi on a stock RB30 will be safe as houses, VLT injector wise. The biggest thing to be careful of is timing. You'll need to take a fair bit out of the map up top, not so much at 8psi, but when you hit 10+ the poor old T3 is getting out of it's efficiency range and generates pretty high intake temps.

nskz, I think I love your idea of gauge mounting, genius! What sort of gauge is that on the left? Is it by chance a Calibre gauge?
Gauge on the left is a wideband lamba gauge. Having a wideband lambda sensor enables you to see the instantaneous air fuel ratio. The gauge just displays this ratio. The gauge is a bit of a wank really as it's not as important as being able to log AFR vs RPM to the laptop....which is obviously done via a cable.

nskz

Likes Dirt
NSKZ!!

FINALLY, someone that knows how to use lockwire!!
NSKZ, your few and far between, keep up the good work :)

Mark!!
Tie Wire for the win ;)

Most stock turbo setups (vl included) have studs and those retarded castellated nuts. I hate them and am a huge sucker for cap screws, just have to retain them :)

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recaro in, extinguisher bolted in, put a drift button on.
Mounted another exhuast tonight, so far it sounds ok (moved it all of 5m as am still waiting for the glue to dry), but ran into the problem that from about the diff all the way to where the front pipe raises up to the turbo = no mounts.
Meant the cat hung about 30mm off the ground. Just hoping i can get a local shop to make a bracket or 2 to hold it up tomorrow.
Also have to get a thinner cushion for my recaro or my head will be touching the roof with a helmet on.
All slowly getting there, drift day on sunday though, can't wait!

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Just hoping i can get a local shop to make a bracket or 2 to hold it up tomorrow.
Also have to get a thinner cushion for my recaro or my head will be touching the roof with a helmet on.
All slowly getting there, drift day on sunday though, can't wait!
Ghetto mods...
Wire the exhaust up with a coat hanger if need be, better than fatiguing welds etc!!

Take the seat rails off the Recaro to get more helmet space. I removed mine in the RX3 and bolted the seat directly to the mounts. It took some measuring and dummy fitting to get it right, but i now have more than enough helmet room, saved more than a few kg (those Recaro seat rails weigh a ton!!) and most other people cant drive my car coz there is no seat adjustment ;)
WIN WIN WIN... (although illegal for the street in NSW, your supposed to have longitudional seat adjustment)

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
fairy1 thanks for the You tube Vid. great way to waste a few mins.

My Project car....

well i took the front of the other day.

Good old A series power.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Rad mini nicklouse, nice ghetto hole in the front end.

What is that silver thing, Lotus/MR2? Brain not switched on yet.

Hey slip, what did you do to your R31? Was it S1/2?
S3
Intake/exhaust/timing
32 GTS-T brakes front/rear
Koni shocks, king springs, swaybars, bushes
Stripped interior from front seats rearward
Momo steering wheel + gearknob
Bucket seat
Rebuilt LSD
16's

You could replicate it with a pretty low budget and have a nice package.

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
Slip cheers

forgot this. added Fiat Panda heater fan ;) oh and the front is just resting there and is not fitted.

and the sliver thing os a Opel speedster (Vauxhall VX220 or something)