Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i

problay end up living with my car till im off my p's 3 months'ish, and buy a gc8 wagon. or a b4, or a gtb wagon. as they are all JUST over my 125kw per tonne limit i can have... ffs, a 98-00 classic wrx wagon, is .7kw over the limit!!

its proving to hard to find my self a bugeye onwards wrx, in decent conditon for under 15k!..
Just buy a decent car...phag!

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
I was under the impression that the power-to-weight rules were now replaced by the no forced induction/modification rules?

Wonder how my car would fare with that.

depends when you got your P's, i got mine in 2006, of which then there was the power to weight rules, engine displacement to weight rules ..

from July 2007, it changed to something else, and then July 2008, it changed to the red p's/green p's, of which you pretty much cant drive anything.

basically if you read the website, there is 3 page's of classification (different liscence periods). i dont think they wanted to create the uproar, and make everyone who could legaly drive a car, who owned one, have to sell it when they bought out new rules for new drivers...

and breaka, fuck commo is getting worse, when im on 80km, and accelarate, so im sitting on about 2krpm, then it drops a gear and up to 3krpm it feels like im driving over those line/bumps on the side of freeways! for about 2 seconds.. but only from say 78-82kms.. its freakin weird

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rule is now out the window, kiddies can drive 8's, s/c cars and turbo'd cars, as long as they are under the 125kw/tonne thing and if the car is any of the above 3, it has to be a 'family' car. Mercedes got the rule changed as you weren't allowed to drive a c180 kompressor due to the s/c, which they were unhappy about due to it's excellent safety rating.
On that note Sawtell, a gen3 b4 might fit safely into that category, pretty sure a gt forester does. Then again, be careful, we've had this convo with cops before and some agree, others say its crap.
As for trying to find a bugeye hatch in v. good condition for 15k, your asking for a fair bit aren't you mate?
When i was shopping for one 6 months ago, i drove a bunch and found that to get a good legit one, i was looking at about the 17k mark or there abouts. Sure it might not seem worth it, but thats how much they all seem to sell for so that's a pretty accurate market price. Maybe times have changed a lot since i looked though due to GFC and any other crap we want to blame:p.
Out of interest, how do you find them? After being 100% set on getting a bugeye hatch, i drove a bunch then canned that idea, wasn't excited enough to justify the expense.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Rule is now out the window, kiddies can drive 8's, s/c cars and turbo'd cars, as long as they are under the 125kw/tonne thing and if the car is any of the above 3, it has to be a 'family' car. Mercedes got the rule changed as you weren't allowed to drive a c180 kompressor due to the s/c, which they were unhappy about due to it's excellent safety rating.
On that note Sawtell, a gen3 b4 might fit safely into that category, pretty sure a gt forester does. Then again, be careful, we've had this convo with cops before and some agree, others say its crap.
As for trying to find a bugeye hatch in v. good condition for 15k, your asking for a fair bit aren't you mate?
When i was shopping for one 6 months ago, i drove a bunch and found that to get a good legit one, i was looking at about the 17k mark or there abouts. Sure it might not seem worth it, but thats how much they all seem to sell for so that's a pretty accurate market price. Maybe times have changed a lot since i looked though due to GFC and any other crap we want to blame:p.
Out of interest, how do you find them? After being 100% set on getting a bugeye hatch, i drove a bunch then canned that idea, wasn't excited enough to justify the expense.
hadnt heard of that rule?
a b4 is far over the kw/tonne rule by about 20 or soo.. the foresters, well should be legal, as they really aint that fast stock standard... id say a stock 2000 ish commo would beat them in a straight line pretty easy.
its one of the issues with the no turbo rule.. for instance, my mums slk, is S/c, and its not .. ..that fast. id say a modern 6cyl holden wagon would take it down in a straight line, but around twist's n shit its a diff story, for a RWD, that thing handles like its.. well on rails.
ive never like the no turbo no sc, rule... the power to weight is FAR better, in every way.

When you say family car, do you mean "your familys car" or a car which is aimed at familys?

and in regards to the hatch, TBH its a hard decision.
I do prefer the drive of the GC8's, (old shape), for spirited driving, they feel much more direct, and.. go kart like.
thing is this is will be my only car, and i do long distance driving, and i find the newer wrx's alot more "dampened" and comfortable on the freeway.

idealy id prefer a my03 onwards, of which they are starting to come down in price popping up in the 15-20k, for somthing with a few kms on it (150+).. but cant really justify that kind of money, while im at uni, like yeah i have it to spend, but i do like knowing i have a buffer of cash sitting there if something goes wrong with anything in life.

inregards to the true "bug eyed" wrx prices, if you watch car sales, plenty have popped up latly for the 15k mark, in pretty good nic, i jsut keep missing them.

mtb1611

Seymour
^^^^Best bet is GC8 hatch, preferrably MY00, though you can get some absolutely killer bargains on MY98/99's; you just have to be prepared to be patient. Bugeye hatches understeer something shocking. If you do buy a GC8, fit a 22mm rear swaybar as your first mod, the degree to which it addresses understeer is phenomenal. If you're buying a hatch add a rear strut brace into the equation.

norco01

Likes Dirt
Rules are different again up here in qld(as far as i know).

No power to weight ratio, you can't drive a turbo'd car, a v8 or more until your 21, and if you're on your p's the car has to be under 200Kw.

On another note, im in grade 11. A kid in my grade just got a BRAND NEW sv6 ute, bought by his daddy! $38000 worth of car being driven by a 17 year old? load of crap. He won't know how to handle 195kw + his gear shifts are worse than my farts after a night of curry.

I hope he gets rear ended and the tray needs replacing. Take that, stupid father!

norco01

Likes Dirt
You're right, grade 11 is quite clearly too young for ANYTHING requiring half a brain :rolleyes:
I'm missing the point, I've been on camp all week so im a bit sleep deprived. Are you referring to the new tray part? or am i missing it altogether?

195kw in a ute is too much for a kid my age who has next to no driving experience to be let out on a road with no one supervising him. It's just dangerous. Sure, i'd love to give it a spin, but i wouldn't have it as my first car, nor would i trust myself with a $38000 car.

mtb1611

Seymour
I'm missing the point, I've been on camp all week so im a bit sleep deprived. Are you referring to the new tray part? or am i missing it altogether?

195kw in a ute is too much for a kid my age who has next to no driving experience to be let out on a road with no one supervising him. It's just dangerous. Sure, i'd love to give it a spin, but i wouldn't have it as my first car, nor would i trust myself with a $38000 car.
Mate I was being sarcastic; I agree with you that it's WAAAAAAAAAY too much car for such an inexperienced driver but was having a go at your desire for him to be rear-ended. If he was rear-ended a) it wouldn't legally be his fault and b) someone could actually get hurt!

mad_mike51

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The price of a decent z32 300zx has become too extravagant for me as I can't afford to pay for comprehensive insurance. Has anyone had any experience with the z31's? As they are a fifth of the price.

norco01

Likes Dirt
Mate I was being sarcastic; I agree with you that it's WAAAAAAAAAY too much car for such an inexperienced driver but was having a go at your desire for him to be rear-ended. If he was rear-ended a) it wouldn't legally be his fault and b) someone could actually get hurt!
Oh i dont desire for it to happen. He's a mate of mine, he knows where i stand on the issue and we joke about it. Bit of a personal joke i guess.

Probably not likely, but not worth starting a new thread. Anyone had any experience with jeeps? moreso the cherokees? It's what im looking at for a first car and for 8 grand for a 2000 model it looks pretty good.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
I hope he gets rear ended and the tray needs replacing. Take that, stupid father!
Again, you're an idiot. Keep quiet until you've got something to contribute instead of being a jealous cry baby because someone got a standard V6 Commodore. Like a standard Commo is too much for a learner anyway...

The price of a decent z32 300zx has become too extravagant for me as I can't afford to pay for comprehensive insurance. Has anyone had any experience with the z31's? As they are a fifth of the price.
Don't do it man! Everyone I know that's done them has had regret, so many reasons not to get a Z31.

floody

Wheel size expert
Don't do it man! Everyone I know that's done them has had regret, so many reasons not to get a Z31.
Yep, heaps of shit, slow, barge handling, weird, electronics issues, engine fire issues...And will cost a billion gazillion to insure since its a 'sportscar'.

Only dodgy pricks of mediterranean descent with a lot of oil in their hair and lots of faux bling drive things like that.

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Anyone had any experience with jeeps? moreso the cherokees? It's what im looking at for a first car and for 8 grand for a 2000 model it looks pretty good.
I just got a 03 grand cherokee a couple months ago. Like it so far.

But the cherokee is just awesome. The 4.0L motor is bullet proof (make sure the cooling system is in good shape and the rest will hold together for a long time). The transmission is also solid, but the rest of the car may need a bit of attention. Make sure the transfer case is in good nick too.
Dont expect a smooth ride out of them on the road, but they are very decent off road, and there is a huge aftermarket.

floody

Wheel size expert
So do I swap my $800 skyline wagon to get my old TE72 Liftback back again?
For reference:

T18 has 4 months rego, skyline has 6 weeks. T18 is a little shabbier than it was in that pic, but nothing I can't deal with. No longer has those cool 3 piece Riverside mags but I'd probably hook up some 13x8 superlites.

Only issue is I can probably tart the wagon up and make quite a bit of cash off it...but a straight swap is easy too.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
alright i'm stumped, I have been trying to start my telstar all afternoon with no luck at all.

things I have checked
-spark (plenty)
-fuel (plenty getting into the barrel and right mixture)
-compression (heaps put a new copper gasket in)
-timing (dead on perfect)
-exhaust is sealed properly

so before I drop to the floor and throw a tantrum or die from exhaustion from trying to bump start it all afternoon, does anyone else have an idea of what the f*** is going on?

Four - Twelve

Likes Dirt

Not too up to date with holdens but wouldnt it be closer to 195hp, ba falcon utes have about 150kw and I can't see the holden being that much more powerful.

Secondly, but probably invalid as you obviously know the kid, dont you think its inappropriate to judge a driver by some plastic P. Perhaps excluding your case the young driver could have learnt to drive in something a lot more powerful like an ss for example. To support this my friend learnt in a M5 cause in NSW the are no restrictions on L's. Another mate went to a track day and there was a kid of not even 17 driving his dads porsche gt3 and had won several titles ect.

Also in many cases although the drivers dont have years of experience, there reaction times ect can often be better, helping them in potential accidents.
However I will finish by saying there are a lot of wanker platers on the road who constantly thrash their cars and are a hazard for other road users.