Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

nicklouse

Likes Dirt
How much ground clearance is there for the front undertray?
well at the time of the build the requirements were for 45mm of clearance and no body part could touch the ground with one tyre fully deflated (excluding any splitters or spoilers).

so not much ;)

top_dog

Likes Dirt
That book is pretty full on. I'm a third year engineering student (not mech. but I've still done all the maths and dynamics shit) and I need to really concentrate to understand that book. Its very mathematical, and not normal maths either.

Question.. in terms of air intakes, does bigger effectively equal better? At least in terms of surface area?

In the second picture you can see the trumpet I am talking about just in between the headlight (our right) and the bonnet latch. As you can see, it draws not from the nice big gap (see pic 1 - in line with the Pug symbol), but rather from the shitty little space below the level of the headlights/just above the bumper.
I wouldn't worry about it leitch. Car manufacturers don't usually go out of their way to make their cars struggle to breathe, and I would think hard about putting a pod filter on it.

I know with the Clios that the stock air intake is the best you can get. People have done dyno runs back to back with different brands of pod filters and the stock airbox with its paper panel filter and lose up to 8Kw. And your Peugeot one doesn't look too dissimilar to my Renault one. Main difference is the part you're concerned about though.:rolleyes: The Clio has two hoses with trumpets, one goes collects air from below the headlight, the other from under the battery. Each is about 2" dia.

So in practice you could cut two holes of the correct size with a holesaw in the bottom (dirty) side of the airbox and that should do the trick, I'd think, though the inlet tract may be the length it is for a reason...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I wouldn't worry about it leitch. Car manufacturers don't usually go out of their way to make their cars struggle to breathe, and I would think hard about putting a pod filter on it.

I know with the Clios that the stock air intake is the best you can get. People have done dyno runs back to back with different brands of pod filters and the stock airbox with its paper panel filter and lose up to 8Kw. And your Peugeot one doesn't look too dissimilar to my Renault one. Main difference is the part you're concerned about though.:rolleyes: The Clio has two hoses with trumpets, one goes collects air from below the headlight, the other from under the battery. Each is about 2" dia.
Yeah I was not very keen on going down the pod filter road for the fact that it's apparently a bit of a pain in the ass to take the airbox out (not a difficult job but brackets in crappy positions etc) and for the fact that I'd like to keep the engine bay looking as stock as possible. The Pugs apparently aren't that great with pod filters either unless you go closed system because (like the Clios, I guess), the engine bay is pretty little. Anyway, I cut the trumpet to make the intake area larger for a bit more air and have put a K&N panel in to replace the shitty paper and it feels noticeably more responsive at the throttle and makes a bit of induction noise when pushing, too. :p

PS... What power does your Clio make?

Last edited:

mtb1611

Seymour
^^^^Not sure what state you're in but in NSW pod filters are defectable and are one of the first things police look for when inspecting a vehicle. Granted, the Clio isn't exactly high on their hit-list, but it's a mod that needs to be approached with caution irrespective of power loss or gain.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
^^^^Not sure what state you're in but in NSW pod filters are defectable and are one of the first things police look for when inspecting a vehicle. Granted, the Clio isn't exactly high on their hit-list, but it's a mod that needs to be approached with caution irrespective of power loss or gain.
Qld, legal as long as they don't move by more than 10mm in any direction as far as I know.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here in vic i ziptied mine into position, still moves about 80mm any way if you try to move it haha. Passed rwc and vicroads no worries, ziptie excess uncut and all.

Sliding went well today, had a ball.
sr20det is so much different to a 4ac(1.6l carby corolla), but when i worked it out a little more i had heaps of fun.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
PS... What power does your Clio make?
Not sure about mine in particular, never dynoed it. But the official figures are 128Kw at 6250rpm, and 200Nm at 5250rpm. Kerb weight (ie with fuel and fluids) is 1035kg, so thats where the performance comes from.

Most stock RS Clios tend to dyno about 100Kw at the wheels.

Is your 306 2.0L?

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
S3
Intake/exhaust/timing
32 GTS-T brakes front/rear
Koni shocks, king springs, swaybars, bushes
Stripped interior from front seats rearward
Momo steering wheel + gearknob
Bucket seat
Rebuilt LSD
16's

You could replicate it with a pretty low budget and have a nice package.
Makes me wet.

Do you have any pics?

How did you go with fitting a bike in with the stripped intertor?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Is your 306 2.0L?
Yeah 2.0L 16V, so very similar to yours - that's why I asked when I saw the stamping on your engine. They're officially 100kW, but crazy poms have seen them up above the 200HP mark which is pretty cool for such a light car - the kerb weight is 1140kg so again, similar to the Clio. I would have loved a GTi6 Pug, but they're impossible to come by oer here.

Should start a Euro Hatch club :p

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here in vic i ziptied mine into position, still moves about 80mm any way if you try to move it haha. Passed rwc and vicroads no worries, ziptie excess uncut and all.
In Vic, it's one intake modification isn't it? So, I could have a pod filter (without being enclosed or anything) without any other intake mods?

Before I heard the previous piece of info, I was always under the impression that pod filters were illegal no matter what.

Arete

Likes Dirt
Grr argh! We're trying to sell my girlfriends car (1994 mx-6). I hate it. Had some douche leave a voicemail this morning offering 2/3rds of the asking price. I rang back and told him that I was happy to negotiate on price after he inspected the car. He then proceeded to go on an abusive swearing rant about assholes who put negotiable on the price and refuse to negotiate. I told him we'd prefer to keep it than deal with him and hung up.

In other news, my car fund has sort of turned into scuba fund after the boss let me play with a closed circuit rebreather - $7k, but damn it's an amazing toy.

bowzaa

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In Vic, it's one intake modification isn't it? So, I could have a pod filter (without being enclosed or anything) without any other intake mods?

Before I heard the previous piece of info, I was always under the impression that pod filters were illegal no matter what.
Correct, i was able to get away with it as i'm just running a stock sidemount cooler, as soon as i go to a front mount i'll have to track down an airbox to make it more legal.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Makes me wet.

Do you have any pics?

How did you go with fitting a bike in with the stripped intertor?
Don't really have any pics. Started out as a blue S3 with fucked paint and grey bumpers, ended up with a free respray and decent 16's, hiding the different coloured bootlid for the first time. Winning time trials in a 31 with different colour panels, shitty silo wheels etc = fun.

Never really put bikes in it, but it would have been damn easy, lots of room when there's no back seat taking up space.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Yeah 2.0L 16V, so very similar to yours - that's why I asked when I saw the stamping on your engine. They're officially 100kW, but crazy poms have seen them up above the 200HP mark which is pretty cool for such a light car - the kerb weight is 1140kg so again, similar to the Clio. I would have loved a GTi6 Pug, but they're impossible to come by oer here.

Should start a Euro Hatch club :p
I saw a GTi6 once, in the Valley. Looked pretty neat.

I was thinking about your improved throttle response. Did you notice a loss of torque or power at the same time? A shorter tract usually improves response to the detriment of torque.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter

its one of those rules that well is a bit up in the air... and cops tend you defect ya for it, and put you through the hassle of it, when really its possibly legal!.

"1" intake mod could mean that you have removed the air box and put a podfilter on, but if you change the intake pipe from the air box to the engine, can be said as a second intake mod... and bang.. defected..

easiest thing, if you have the ability, keep your air box in stock position, and just make a hidden CAI down into your front guard.. or where ever... but be warned, a 90mm pvc cai pipe, low in the front guard, and driving through puddles can be bad... never actualy heard of anyone getting in to strife with water through it, but can see it happening....

you think selling a cars hard arete... try buying one!

somepeople think their cars are worth WAYYYY more then they are, some people will neogiate down in price, and then next day when you go to pay, change their minds...
some people advertise their cars in good conditon, and you drive 2 hours to view it, and the thing looks like its fallen from the sky,...

the best is when you go view a car, and its apparnty done 80,000kms, but the drivers seat is worn down to the foam, all the dials and buttons on the dash can no longer be read, the carpet under the pedals is no longer carpet......

etc etc etc.

problay end up living with my car till im off my p's 3 months'ish, and buy a gc8 wagon. or a b4, or a gtb wagon. as they are all JUST over my 125kw per tonne limit i can have... ffs, a 98-00 classic wrx wagon, is .7kw over the limit!!

its proving to hard to find my self a bugeye onwards wrx, in decent conditon for under 15k!..

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
I was under the impression that the power-to-weight rules were now replaced by the no forced induction/modification rules?

Wonder how my car would fare with that.