Recommend me a high end socket set

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So I lost my Sidchrome 1/4 ratchet the other day. Was of the old and good Australian made stuff and has survived many many years of abuse. Very sad...

So need to replace it and want to get another 30 or so year from it. Have given up buying cheap tools...

Not sure I can quite justify Stahlwille though... Not interested in modern Sidchrome or Kincrome. Suspect Snap On not as good as the reputation suggests...

Hazet worth the dosh? What’s Bahco like?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Bahco is pretty good - we use it at work in a very tough environment. It holds up well.

Kinchrome is overpriced junk.

I have two 1/4" sets at home. One is Stanley, one is Sidcrome.
Both are used regularly, both are well made. The Stanley kit is surprisingly nice.

If you can afford it, the Proto range from Sidchrome/Stanley (same company I think) is exceptional. Boeing approved I believe...

Have a look at Teng Tools too, seem very good.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
1/4" you say?

When it was still available Husky 66604 would have been /Thread, even though it's more of a ratchet in bit-driver clothing.

I used to work on aircraft with Qantas, and we had colleague that used to bring about 10 - 20 of these back every time he went to the US. He would sell them out by the end of the day on his return to work just to people that had borrowed ones from other colleagues that had already bought them after previous trips.

1/4" and 5/16" bit driver, ludricrous POE, 1/4" square driver adaptor - and impossibly strong. I had to dislodge one I accidentally managed to get it jammed into a "no access to the reverse lever" scenario with a 4lb hammer and it's still in perfect working order even after another few years of regualar (inc. trade) use.

The VIM HBR5 looks to be an identical replacement, but quality unknown. I generally hate 1/4" bit drivers, but that Husky 66604 is so versatile and strong it's ended up being my all time favourite tool.

For a more conventional ratchet, the Snap-On items are still quite good (last bought ~5 years ago), but very hard to justify the price premium. They do take quite a while to "bed-in" and spin freely if buying the sealed head ones though.

Stahlwille and Bahco ratchets don't do much for me. Both are strong as an Ox, but feel sloppy and imprecise in use IMO. My Stahlwille ratchets (bought new ~12 years back) used to not engage properly and spin out too annoyingly often and leave me with sore or bleeding knuckles (back when I had tradie hands).

I would probably buy a Gearwrench set. I haven't actually owned a square-drive ratchet of theirs, but their reversible ratchet ring/combination spanners are excellent and normally if a company can mange to do them well a standard ratchet is a doddle...

Kinchrome is overpriced junk.
Agreed - with the following exceptions:

1) Their sockets are insanely strong for some reason. I have seen standard (silver, non-impact) 1/2" drive sockets adapted down from high-torque 3/4" air impact guns and they just keep going (Heavy Diesel applications, not on aircraft thank fark!). Old snap-on Impact sockets would've easily cracked or probably exploded in the same conditions, and the newer Snap-On ones just gradually blow out in the socket hex.

2) Kincrome hickory-handled mallets and hammers are excellent.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
@beeb
Bahco make a great little kit very similar to the one you pictured.
I keep one in the glovebox (or under the seat on the moto) for quick adjustments.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
@beeb
Bahco make a great little kit very similar to the one you pictured.
I keep one in the glovebox (or under the seat on the moto) for quick adjustments.
I still have two of the Huskys, but cheers. Would be interested to try the Bahco ones and compare the ratchet as that's what has me all swoony with the Husky ones. It feels like the golden-era of Snap-On but finer pitch and stronger. Serious tool boner for that thing, lol.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Why high end? 1/4" is never going to be heavy duty so I would look at anything servicable and feels good in the hand. You know what I mean you filthy filthy bastards.

I quite like the Force stuff I bought for 4wding. 36 POE. Not the ratchet with the rubber handle but the stainless stuff that sort of, kind of looks like SnapOn if you squint at night with the tool backlight.

Haakon

If you liked the old one why not look for a second hand one on gumtree etc.?
That was my first thought, but no joy finding the same one. Mine was from about 1992 I think.

It was good and I reckon if I hadn’t of lost it it would have gone for another 20 years. I leant on that thing many times way harder than I should have...

But - I figure things have moved on. Figure I’ll spend some dosh and get the modern equivalent :)

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Snap on ratchets are nice. I like them. Feel good, good poe and plenty of options for handle config.

For High end sockets, gotta go with stahlwille haven't you?
What about the park tool sockets?

Haakon

Why high end? 1/4" is never going to be heavy duty so I would look at anything servicable and feels good in the hand. You know what I mean you filthy filthy bastards.

I quite like the Force stuff I bought for 4wding. 36 POE. Not the ratchet with the rubber handle but the stainless stuff that sort of, kind of looks like SnapOn if you squint at night with the tool backlight.
High end as in “buy it once and never replace it unless I lose it again...”.

By lose, I mean “accidentally put it in the bin with some packing material and not realising until after the garbos had been...” Packing material for a new tool chest I was using the ratchet to assemble - Murphy is nothing if not ironic...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I dig Bahco but I'm just a lowly amatuer, and I suspect the rubber handles would expire within 30 years. I've been reliably informed that Teng and Wera are the dogs bollocks.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Metrinch. The absolute best 1/4 and 3/8th Kit. I’ve yet to wear/hurt even one piece.

As the name suggests, funky patented 6 sided sockets that work with both metric and imperial sized nuts.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
+1 gearwrench. Just had a squiz of a mates 3/8’ set and it’s pretty good.
Bachco are “meh” for me, I don’t get the hype. And the fish logo sucks. I’ve had the 1/2 drive ratchet let go on me and I fell on my arse.
Rubber handles suck. They look wonderfull for the first week then BAMN! They age 30yrs.

Wera good
Stahwille good.
Snap on overpriced
Repco good too.