Rider etiquette sticky?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Seems to me, its the person wanting to pass who has to be the polite one - i've never had any difficulties.

A gentlemen who doesnt seem to have any troubles at all is jason english - he comes up behind you and talks, pleasantly, makes small talk, and people let him know where to pass.

Mike, your name has been mentioned twice already since your post - are they taking the piss, or are you holding on too tight?

Should always tell girls/p platers to hold their line and ride normally I think - they easily crash when pulling over, better for em to ride normally and the better skilled rider to make the space.

0psi

Eats Squid
Should always tell girls/p platers to hold their line and ride normally I think - they easily crash when pulling over
Funny that. I had a shocker at Rock Wallaby last year (Broken hand, sternum and non-terminal broken bike) but being the stubborn prick I am I was determined to finish. Whenever a rider came up I tried to get off the track immediately as I was just trying to make it back and didn't want to impede anyone at all, however this did result in one particularly spectacular crash which saw me stuck in a bush upside down pissing myself laughing.

I think it's the duty of the better rider to find the space to pass. Don't expect an inexperienced rider to know what to do, they are after all, inexperienced.

Edit: I would also like to point out that it's usually those who think they are fast that are the tossers. Properly fast blokes (English, Hatton and Gordo immediatly spring to mind.) are usually pretty nice.

Last edited:

Delmar

Likes Dirt
It's only a race for a select few. Others just think they are fast and expect people to jump out of the way at their whim. They need to get over themselves. Hey Mike?
That's hardly fair. You dont know him, how fast he is or how hard he trains. His post can't be seriously characterised as wanting people getting out of his way at his whim. Feel free to explain how you can read him this way...

Pharmaboy I mentioned mike's name in the previous post as he was knocked off by another rider (not deliberately I'm sure) going a reasonable pace, then rode off without stopping and no more than a muttered sorry. Not the done thing, I would suggest (As it happened his bike was disabled and a podium went begging).

As for it not being a race for any but the select few?? That may be your personal attitude, but I would back the opposite view for the majority all the way! We pay substantial fees and get race plates, there is timing, prizes, etc etc. How is not a race? In all the years and in all the races I've done the vast majority are there to push themselves, race mates, race strangers, race last years time, race! In the huge crew of people Ive raced with over that time whether a backmarker or front runner, prep with endura or prep with beer, people have not been in 'social ride' mode. Doesn't mean you get cranky or obnoxious or anything but pleasant, but you should be excused for attempting to race! I can social ride anytime for $0...

[edit: I'm trying to say I find racing a friendly, grin inducing, comeraderie thing... not a hostility cranky thing. I find most people are the same].

I don't think I'm fast, but I do expect people to get out of my way once Ive had a chat, asked politely and there is a good spot. I'm sure I need to get over myself in all sorts of ways, but not this one...

Last edited:

Clyde Dave

Likes Dirt
Don't need to explain, it's pretty obvious.
If your "racing", takes precedence over common courtesy, all for the sake of bragging rights with your mates, maybe you should read into the no dickhead policy a bit more.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Pharmaboy I mentioned mike's name in the previous post as he was knocked off by another rider (not deliberately I'm sure) going a reasonable pace, then rode off without stopping and no more than a muttered sorry. Not the done thing, I would suggest (As it happened his bike was disabled and a podium went begging).

thx for clearing that up Delmar -i did think it may have been the opposite - type written words and all that... ;)

as for passing - noisy freewheels FTW! :)

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Don't need to explain, it's pretty obvious.
If your "racing", takes precedence over common courtesy, all for the sake of bragging rights with your mates, maybe you should read into the no dickhead policy a bit more.
Way to go putting words in my keyboard. My "racing" never takes the place the place of common courtesy (OK, there was this one time at 2:30am... :)). I never suggested it should. I reckon 99% of people manage to "race" with complete common courtesy 99% of the time. It's not either/or, surely? If you think so, feel free and no need to be rude about it... just enjoy your "social riding" with entry fees and race plates! :)

Last edited:

goryden

Likes Bikes
It's only a race for a select few. Others just think they are fast and expect people to jump out of the way at their whim. They need to get over themselves. Hey Mike?
Dave that's very true. I was talking to a cycling legend today and he had some wise words on this. Most people come to a "RACE" for the vibe, to meet others and ride amongst a really big bunch of like minded souls which is cool, even us competitive types love a big field. The race doesnt even come into it. That's why Gran Fondo's are so popular in Europe. You have 200 fast guys off the front smashing each other and then 2000 social riders having the time of their life and everyone's happy.

At Gary, yep least they could have done is stop and offer a genuine sorry about that mate, can I help you to get going again. :eek:hwell:

goryden

Likes Bikes
Choc Foot

On review, one thing I must clear up is that I did paint Joe Ward's rider briefing in a rather poor light. He did talk about communication being the key which has been the main thrust of my argument. Joe and the team run an awesome series as evidenced by the hundreds who turn up to every event and to infer that poor rider etiquette is somehow the organisers fault is just not fair. Humble apologies mate.

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
The technical abilities of riders varies considerably, particularly at events like the Convict 100 which I did on the weekend. Courtesy goes both ways. Slow riders should also ask the faster rider behind if they would like to pass, they know they are there. Numerous times I came up behind a train of 8-10 riders through technical sections because the slower rider at the head wouldn't pull over for a couple of seconds when there was opportunity, to allow the faster riders pass. If a faster rider comes up behind me, I always ask if they want to pass and then get out of their way asap. They have paid their money also and being trapped behind slow riders for km after km is extremely frustrating.

BTW, I don't expect anyone to get out of my way mid way through a technical section, particularly when it is unsafe to do so but when it is safe, please move over and let the faster riders through.

The other thing is competitors that think they have the right to walk the riding line or work on their bike on the race line is just plain rude and inconsiderate. If you can't ride the race line or want/need to work on your bike, get out of the way of those that are riding or if you do insist to walk the race line, have the presence of mind and courtesy to move out of the way of riders coming through.

mrricho

Likes Bikes
The technical abilities of riders varies considerably, particularly at events like the Convict 100 which I did on the weekend. Courtesy goes both ways. Slow riders should also ask the faster rider behind if they would like to pass, they know they are there. Numerous times I came up behind a train of 8-10 riders through technical sections because the slower rider at the head wouldn't pull over for a couple of seconds when there was opportunity, to allow the faster riders pass. If a faster rider comes up behind me, I always ask if they want to pass and then get out of their way asap. They have paid their money also and being trapped behind slow riders for km after km is extremely frustrating.

BTW, I don't expect anyone to get out of my way mid way through a technical section, particularly when it is unsafe to do so but when it is safe, please move over and let the faster riders through.

The other thing is competitors that think they have the right to walk the riding line or work on their bike on the race line is just plain rude and inconsiderate. If you can't ride the race line or want/need to work on your bike, get out of the way of those that are riding or if you do insist to walk the race line, have the presence of mind and courtesy to move out of the way of riders coming through.
I think its rude to block any line, race day or not. Just move to the side and everything will be sweet.

don't bring yor pets to bike parks please!

While on rider etiquette; it is not a good idea to take your pet to the bike trials for a run. Perhaps stick to the fire roads!

TonyMax

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget
I'll be talking this over with some of my local contacts, but what are people's thoughts about me cable tying a cut down L plate to my camelbak or seat rails?

I've many years experience on road bikes, and some experience in my early years (20+ years ago) on BMX style bikes but I'm now almost 48 and venturing into MTB for the first time.

When I'm riding the trails socially for experience/fun it might give people behind an inkling that I'll let them past as soon as I can, but what about in a race? I'm possibly entering an off road duathlon in a month or so, and while my bike leg in normal triathlons has me one of the fastest I'll be probably quite slow on a MTB and it will be in a race situation.

Will people care about my novice abilities in a race or will the red mist descend and they want to get past me at all costs? Thankfully I'm pretty sure not much/none of the race course is single it's all dual track or fire trail, but still...

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Will people care about my novice abilities in a race or will the red mist descend and they want to get past me at all costs? Thankfully I'm pretty sure not much/none of the race course is single it's all dual track or fire trail, but still...
I'd find an L plate humorous and understand what it means - and if you did something wrong 'etiquette' wise I wouldn't have an issue. If your fit in the pedally sections getting passed wont be a massive issue, the technical climbs and descents maybe, depending on your skill.

When riding casually you'll come across the occasional stravahole who thinks they own the trail, but I imagine most people will be pretty mellow, if someone asks to pass, just yell-out yup, and pick a spot that's safe for you to move across and if need be slow down a little to help them get by. No need to swerve off the track immediately, at least on a casual ride.

If its a race situation, i'd personally get out the way pretty fast as I don't hold up anyone else whos actually fast.

And, judging from the anger in another thread here, never ever stop on the track and block it!

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
Rode You Yangs last weekend & interacted with a number of riders seemingly annoyed with having to share trails. We were riding uphill (trails 4 & 14 specifically), and they appeared irritated to move/share, let alone even stopping to give way to us.

We came across a lot more riders who were very comfortable with sharing the trails.

clockworked

Like an orange
Rode You Yangs last weekend & interacted with a number of riders seemingly annoyed with having to share trails. We were riding uphill (trails 4 & 14 specifically), and they appeared irritated to move/share, let alone even stopping to give way to us.

We came across a lot more riders who were very comfortable with sharing the trails.
I really don't like two-way trails, but I always thought that the rider descending had right of way and the rider climbing should be pulling off.

Is that a widespread thing?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I really don't like two-way trails, but I always thought that the rider descending had right of way and the rider climbing should be pulling off.

I used to see signage in Brisbane that suggested quite the opposite for trail etiquette. Just be courteous, climbing or descending.

None of us are heroes but some of us are wankers.

I seem to give way to at least 5 riders to each one that gives way to me, maybe I’m just a pushover. So long as pleasantries are exchanged it’s all good. When I give way to someone and they don’t even acknowledge that gives me the shits.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Usually climber has right of way. Easier to restart going downhill.

The thing that grinds my gears is people trying to force their way past, rather than being waved past. Coincidentally most of the people I see trying it, ride Specialized, the BMW of the mtb world.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slowmick

38-39"
I used to think it was down gave way to up but i am beginning to think it is very much trail dependent. I don't think there is a rule that works for all trails.
There are many trails i feel are down hill trails and others think are uphill so I've given up trying to figure out who is doing the "normal" thing. Have got to the point where i give way to pretty much everyone. Being old, fat and slow makes it an easy choice.