rock trail gp at stromlo

kilaton

Likes Bikes
was wondering if anyone knew the length of the track to be used at stromlo for the rocky trail gp in november . also which tracks will be used , any information much apprecisted

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
We deliberately waited until after the Scott24 hour to set the track as we wanted to change it a bit to last year's. Juliane and I both really enjoyed the new Willo link section as well as Party Line. Those 2 are definitely in. Also the fast and flowy bits at the end won't be missed. That means that we don't climb all the way to the top using Blue Gum.
It will be around the 10-12km mark.
As soon as we know more we will post it.

kilaton

Likes Bikes
rocky trail races

going off on a different direction , was just looking at rocky trails web site and saw some dates for their gp series next year , by the way great events and organisation . one date was 14/8/11 , also on the wsmtb web site it had an event by rocky tail on sunday 8/8/11 after the 12 hour which is on saturday . was wondering are these going to be different races or will this be instead of the race on the 14 th of august .:confused:

sorry very confused was looking at last years dates

Last edited:

muvro

Likes Dirt
We deliberately waited until after the Scott24 hour to set the track as we wanted to change it a bit to last year's. Juliane and I both really enjoyed the new Willo link section as well as Party Line. Those 2 are definitely in. Also the fast and flowy bits at the end won't be missed. That means that we don't climb all the way to the top using Blue Gum.
Awesome!

Can't wait!

What about the track with the doubles in it (double disolusion?) and the other one with the mini table top style jumps. Those two were also a hoot. The down hill section in the last couple of kms was also seriously fun!

Also, the 4X track on the sunday, is it going to be XC bike friendly, or is it going to be a bit gnarlier? ie does it need a burlier bike?

I read on the site, it only incorporates part of the 4X course, I'm guessing that the bigger drops and gnar bits have been excluded.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe we could just do the exact same lap as the Scott 24 - then us soloists can see what we were missing out on!

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
This will be my first Enduro and to be honest I'm filling my pants! Been sniffing around the Scott 24 hour thread trying to get a verbal feel for what the course is like (and will try and get there to have a ride round stromlo at least once before the race.

And first post too!

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
This will be my first Enduro and to be honest I'm filling my pants! Been sniffing around the Scott 24 hour thread trying to get a verbal feel for what the course is like (and will try and get there to have a ride round stromlo at least once before the race.

And first post too!
Rocky trail events tend to be aimed at newbie racers getting into the sport, so their courses are pretty friendly where possible. The race field is super friendly, as are the organisers. You've picked an awesome first event :)

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
Rocky trail events tend to be aimed at newbie racers getting into the sport, so their courses are pretty friendly where possible. The race field is super friendly, as are the organisers. You've picked an awesome first event :)

Oh good! It was really a timing thing but Its good to hear that about the event.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The obvious exceptions being the Sydney 24 and Del Rio 8 Hour:p

Super friendly organisers - understatement of the century!

And first post too!
Have no fear DaSchmooze, the RTE events really are top notch - also, Mt Stromlo is an excellent venue for your first Enduro - because it is so developed there are B Line options for everything that is tricky - which means you can race in absolute safety (and if anything goes wrong you are in close proximity to two major hospitals:))

BTW, welcome to Rotorburn, be careful though, once you got involved here you can never leave!

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Thanks for all the praise! Team Rocky Trail is at the Crocodile Trophy atm so a bit slow in responding to all the emails and threads. We will be back next week and do it all then. 4 stages down, 6 more to go. The longest stage was today with 157km and it was a smashfest. Loved it - legs are getting a bit heavy now but it's all part of the fun. Tomorrow is the "rest day" with only 100km of riding :)

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
hey trailburner,
would there be anyway of gettin the actual course off u for practise??? pm me

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
hey trailburner,
would there be anyway of gettin the actual course off u for practise??? pm me
Martin's slogging away in Far North QLD at the moment at the Croc Trophy and Juliane is support crew so you might not hear back for a few days, but they will put the course details up on their Rocky Trail website once they have set the course. They are pretty good at getting that kind of info out.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Given the previous discussions which suggested Party Line etc would be used, your best bet in the mean time is to get the map of the Teams Course from the Scott 24 Hour race this year - you'll get to see the technical/descending sections of the likely course + a climb which is either the actual climb or one more difficult than the actual climb. ergo if you can do that lap you'll be fine

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Given the previous discussions which suggested Party Line etc would be used, your best bet in the mean time is to get the map of the Teams Course from the Scott 24 Hour race this year - you'll get to see the technical/descending sections of the likely course + a climb which is either the actual climb or one more difficult than the actual climb. ergo if you can do that lap you'll be fine
I reckon they'll cut out some of the more techy bits of the Scott teams course, they are pretty clued into what newbie racers can attempt and find fun and challenging vs what newbie riders find scary and unmanageable. Don't worry J3$$3 I'm sure the course will be manageable and fun, plus I'm sure it'll be published in time for a practice or two. :D

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon they'll cut out some of the more techy bits of the Scott teams course, they are pretty clued into what newbie racers can attempt and find fun and challenging vs what newbie riders find scary and unmanageable. Don't worry J3$$3 I'm sure the course will be manageable and fun, plus I'm sure it'll be published in time for a practice or two. :D
I dunno, Del Rio has that section through the valley that I still find a bit white knuckle + the 661 S bend (which is awesome but not exactly newbie friendly unless you have somebody to follow) - I dont think RTE tracks are necesarily easier than any other Enduro series track,
I do think the environment is a little more conducive to new riders having a crack at it i.e. not even the wanna-be-elite types mouth off if they get held up behind someone picking their way through a rock garden because everyone is just in too good a mood - that atmosphere breeds confidence (and hence ability) in the newer riders - thus they clear obstacles they normally would not - giving the allusion the tracks are easier

hows that for an endorsement from a customer/rider -> RTE events make you a better rider instantly* (improvements may wear off at the conclusion of the event)

muvro

Likes Dirt
That's gonna be a wicked course!!!

Can't wait!!!

Are we able to park our car in the camping area if we are intending to sleep in it?

Last edited: