rock trail gp at stromlo

krisko

Likes Dirt
My point is that its funny that the worst maintained trails in Canberra are at Stromlo, which are also the only funded trails !

It has nothing to do with the recent rain, Im talking about in the last 6 months maybe longer.

I would write a letter but Im guessing that I would get the same response and effort that they put into managing the park! OK Flame over.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
Rocky trail events tend to be aimed at newbie racers getting into the sport, so their courses are pretty friendly where possible. The race field is super friendly, as are the organisers. You've picked an awesome first event :)
Ok - well. I hope that what I'm about to write is 100% due to a lack of skill, but would I be right i saying that the course wasn't very newb friendly? I really struggled on the uphill sections and spent a lot of time on my arse. I had to ask around as I've never done a race before and it seemed to be the consensus that is was pretty tricky. I only managed 1 3/4 laps before a went head firs off the trail into a rock (thank you helmet) and removed a lot of skin off my right arm and shoulder.

The event appeared to be run very well and check in was a breeze. First aid guys were brilliant too (spread honey on my arm as an antibiotic!) But I dunno - are all races this difficult? Geez I need a lot more technical practice if that's so.

rideabike

Likes Bikes
What a great day out, big thanks to the organisers, volunteers, and friendly fellow racers to make the race what it was.

Loved:

-Music playing all day (great atmosphere)
-The course (minus a few dodgy sections)
-The course PARTY LINE.
-Cool drink bottles
-Getting a cold beer handed to me coming through the finish line.

Definitely looking forward to next round.

Keep up the good work RTE.

cgrade

Squid
Ok - well. I hope that what I'm about to write is 100% due to a lack of skill, but would I be right i saying that the course wasn't very newb friendly? I really struggled on the uphill sections and spent a lot of time on my arse. I had to ask around as I've never done a race before and it seemed to be the consensus that is was pretty tricky. I only managed 1 3/4 laps before a went head firs off the trail into a rock (thank you helmet) and removed a lot of skin off my right arm and shoulder.

The event appeared to be run very well and check in was a breeze. First aid guys were brilliant too (spread honey on my arm as an antibiotic!) But I dunno - are all races this difficult? Geez I need a lot more technical practice if that's so.
I'd say, given the track conditions, that was about the most technical race I've done. Lots of fun though!

If you're in Canberra I'd recommend checking out the regular CORC races - they always manage to put together a beginner friendly track.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
I'd say, given the track conditions, that was about the most technical race I've done. Lots of fun though!

If you're in Canberra I'd recommend checking out the regular CORC races - they always manage to put together a beginner friendly track.
Ok cool - that kind of eases the pain (both physical and embarrassment ) of crashing. I' from Sydney and am thinking it'll take more loops of Manly Dam (which I struggle with) before I'll have a crack at Stromlo again.

Thanks for that cgrade

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt

dude, go jump into western sydney clubs 4 hour series over summer.... you'll will enjoy yarrumundi, its less rocky than stromlo

kilaton

Likes Bikes
stromlo

had a great time at stromlo , first time I have rode there . was a bit scary as i do not have much ability , but did 2 and a half laps before a mechanical put me out . saw on the web site the first race next year was at mt annan , is this correct and have you anymore dates and venues . only rode two races this year , del rio and stromlo , both were great and very well organised . hope to do all races next year
well done team rocky trail

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Another great event from Rocky Trail :D and what awesome weather! Well done to any newbies out on the trail, it was not an easy trail even by normal Stromlo standards and I hope even if you found it challenging it was still fun. I think the recent rain and high traffic on those trails during the Scott made it pretty tricky. I loved the second half of the track, well everything onwards from the Willo trail just fast and flowy through waist high flowers!!!
See you next year.

muvro

Likes Dirt
Was an awesome weekend!!!

Well done to all involved, both competitors and organisers/vollies. Such a great and family orientated event. :)

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
a few pics

Thanks Rocky Trail for a great event and doing some fun raising.
Im glad I had flats not clips save me a few times Im too old too unclip.
I even got a flat like plenty other to lower pressure didnt check. And I though I only had to do 4 laps be got back with 15sec to go CRAP 5laps and 5 hours.
SO NO PICS OF DAY RACE TOO WORN OUT
My view, first try at night pics
Martin has all the pics Friday night and all preso pics
Cheers Neil

muvro

Likes Dirt
Awesome pics!!!

I love that sunset pic over the redbull tent! Stunning shot!

ALSO,

Just wondering, if anyone picked up a long and thin Silver pump on Sunday?

I had it when I started the Time trial, though can't remember if I had it after that, or if I had it at the Slalom.

I think it's a Air research? I can't remember.

It could've also been left on the stone wall above the toilet block on the southern side.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
To the guy who gave me some chain links closer towards Muck raker PM me please - I didn't get a chance to stick around at the end of the day to find you and buy you some beers.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
By the way - a big thank to whoever found my brand spanking new Pro computer. It flew off my handlebar at stack number 3 or 4 - I cant be certain! :)
The odometer reading on it was 1.2 kms! I contacted Martin this morning and he has said he will post it back.

Very much appreciated whoever you are - I owe you one.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
By the way - a big thank to whoever found my brand spanking new Pro computer. It flew off my handlebar at stack number 3 or 4 - I cant be certain! :)
The odometer reading on it was 1.2 kms! I contacted Martin this morning and he has said he will post it back.

Very much appreciated whoever you are - I owe you one.
I've also lost my PRO bike computer somewhere out on the course :( Not new, somewhat scratched... probably 1100km on the ODO.

Slezoj

Likes Dirt
RockyTrail Entertainment

Hi guys thank you for again perfectly prepared event from Friday till Sunday. We stayed whole weekend and had a great fun. Cannot wait for new season to come.