Scott 24hr 2009

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Shower times

A quick question. Why were the showers open during the day and not night? I would have thought having them open from say 10PM-4AM would have been a more reasonable idea?
I think having them open during the day was quite unnecessary, and would have thought having a shower before the majority went to bed would have been more ideal. I'd sure have liked a shower before bed at 5 :)
On a better note, overall I thought the event was run well, well worth the 8 hour drive up to! It was awesome to come and be able to compete against a large group of school teams and have a great race with them!
Well... One was to avoid them being used by people to warm up, the other was to avoid the $$$fees of having a Mr Hanky Mobile come out during the night.

Still, it's on the "To do - better" list for next year...

Master Nick

Likes Bikes
Thanks to the great people

I'd like to thank every one who helped out especialy these two:

First was the very kind lady who stopped and helped me strech at the top of the hill after suffering a double hammie cramps which were the worst i"ve ever had.
Seccond was the bloke who stoped and lent me a tube when i managed to get a double flat front and back at the same time. I offered to give him one at the end of my lap and he just said not to worrie about it.

What a great event. Look forward to next year thanks everyone.
Nick:D

frensham

Likes Dirt
Wow! Lots of feedback! I thought the day lap was awesome but must admit to being concerned for the newbies around Pork barrel etc. The major issue here is that this is a very fast piece of track and it must have been quite uncomfortable for the not so experienced riders trying to come to grips with the rocks etc only to have some super fast racer wanting to get past. I did feel that the vibe on the track was awesome and only had one negative incident when a female rider fell over in front of me and the rider behind me got off his bike and proceeded to walk over her! Her language was justifiably blue!!
I was the unfortunate witness to a guy going over the bars on the B-Line at pork barrel, he said he had broken his collar bone - I do hope he is ok. Luckily we were able to get first-aid to him pretty quickly. Now, to all those riders who saw this poor guy on his back and asked "are you ok?" but didn't wait for an answer......WTF?
Didn't like the night lap after Skyline, no rythm, too rocky.
I did actually enjoy the last loop through the camp site despite the climb - it went right past our tent and we were able to call the next rider out knowing the lap was over in a few minutes - great for the night lap as the next rider didn't have to wait too long in transition.
My only major gripe was with the dickheads next to us using an industrial generator and being reluctant to turn it off after 11:00pm!! What wonderful, considerate human beings!

GREAT WEEKEND despite the amateurish timing and total lack of vibe at the transition area.

Optimus

Likes Bikes
I think though as a soloist, we should start approx halfway around the track like they did at Kowen one year, I dont know how feasible it would be.

The only problem I had was giving space for 1 rider to pass only to find there were 2 or 3 trying to squeeze past without them telling me how many there were, do i need a rearview mirror?
When I was going to pass a slower rider I would tell them there was 2 or 3 of us and it made for pleasant passing all around.
Am taking a guess that next year the start for soloists (well the majority of them anyway) will be 15 minutes before the teams, which is the 24 hours of adrenaline way. Even if they end up having a completely separate course for the worlds, having the earlier start means an awesome crowd to start in front of.

I also hate it when the rider in front of you only makes the call for themselves. Surely it's not that much harder to call "riders" instead of "rider"... Yes, it can mean that the opportunity to pass is further down the track to allow everyone to pass, but I believe it has to be done as a safety issue.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Thanks to all and sundry...

First up - thanks for the weather (you know who You are). It was perfect: lots of rain leading up; a couple of days of drying wind; then cool mornings and light winds under partly cloudy skies for the race.

This meant the track held up better than in previous years, with much less dust and soft loose corners. There was a short downpour just before presentations too but, by some freak of wind and nature, no-one seemed to get wet.

Secondly, thanks to all the riders who made this event a success. On track attitudes were reported as, on the whole, friendly and relaxed. Patience was shown; consideration was given; there were numerous stories of assistance. This always warms the heart.

Next, the sponsors were generous beyond what is normal in the industry. Cash prizes were matched by superb product give-aways and an amazing finishers prize. This ensured that everyone went home a winner.

Finally, please thank the volunteers who gave their time freely so you could enjoy your ride. They seemingly donated days of unpaid effort for not much more than coffee and a few trinkets. However, theirs was the greater reward: the satisfaction of sharing in the event's success.

Thank you all. Now, I'm going to sleep.

morto1980

Likes Dirt
Patience was shown; consideration was given; there were numerous stories of assistance. This always warms the heart.
Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to the event team - it was one hell of a well oiled machine. The only downside (in the eyes of a punter) was the absence of Mr Baker on timing - you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Secondly, in relation to the quote above, I should mention that I saw Willo overtake in perfect fashion. At the top of Joey's return he passed me and I tailed him down and we hit a train of slower riders.

Now most impatient wannabes would try and barge past causing all sorts of mayhem (and accidents) but Willo patiently waited and blasted past on a bit of firetrail (he had to wait a fair while, too!) Well done, sir!

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Some results correction

I'll try to post things that haven't been said already - and are positive! My experience was very positive - yes there was congestion, but the overwhelming impression I had of the atmosphere on the course was very friendly and supportive, and I was out there for long enough to judge. Thanks to all the great people on the course! :)

Shame about the few bad exceptions that can cause bad experiences / hurt others (get well Kylie!). This is an odd suggestion, but maybe there could be a bigger hot lap format, so the need for a (not-so) fast lap can be exorcised.... and in a way that could provide some perspective.

I feel it's necessary to correct the men's solo rankings: 4th actually went to Brett Bellchambers, racing single speed. There's no "solo overall" list. And, as many have observed, we need a special awesome award for Bec on her rigid Stumpjumper. Seriously inspiring rider! There was also another lady without gears - hopefully this is the beginning of singlespeed female categories. :cool:

Timing - I might just throw in here that the guys who did the Angry Doctor (Multisport Australia?) did a really good job, and their tags were tiny and didn't fall off. That said, I never had any reason to bag out the previous setup.... and quite liked the nicely laid out PDFs.

Oh yeah, last positive thing, the weather. Commuting in the rain today was ironic really... in my (cold-weathing-lovin) view, it was perfect, even with the freak sunshower at like 8am. :D

I don't have much to compare it to - being my first participation in a 24hr race - but loved it!!

The atmosphere was great and I didn't have too many experiences of fast people forcing their way past - the way I figure its up to the passer and the passee to be considerate.

The night laps were my first experience in night riding but was wondering if anyone else thought the night lap was technically harder than the day?

I'm not sure why there are so many complaints about the last bit of the lap going through the camp and out again - it was great getting cheered by total strangers and whoever said enduro events were supposed to be easy?!

All-in-all a truly fantastic event that could only be improved by the addition of more toilets.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I have a few emails. Online results are available at www.onlineresults.com.au I'm told that the Scott website content will soon be updated to contain a set of .PDF documents.
Who do we get in contact with to get our laps hooked up to a team? There are two people in my team who's laps aren't showing up in the team results. No doubt we had our times recorded but they just aren't linked to the team. It won't make a difference to the final standings so I didn't want to bombard them with the request just yet.

chops007

Likes Dirt
24hr race to a 24hr read..

chasin this thread is a true enduro event..

last 2km.. sucked in my warmup lap..(it was nearly a world championship finish) but then it was part of the race and trying to wash off speed at the end of the fireroad was fun with the lil kicker on the leftside and the lil pump track was fun..
traffic# for some reason it didnt bother me there was a hell of alot and it was part of th challenge if both riders work together it should go ok....most of the riders were going to to much (on one lap i only had one rider from the top of the overpass tunnel to the finish) its boring riding alone...

megs really summed up alot of points i wanted to cover (no big screen :( i over heard it cost 25k)... no showers was a surprise water restrictions...i seen u canberrians were under your target for the week couldnt we borrow some.(id be happy to pay next year for one) so wat did last year cost us???? because this year was run very cheaply....3rd in category to win some frameskin a chain protector n some chain lube... def enjoyed thepoduim pic more.... the piece of firewood was nice... didnt think stromlo had any trees to share around.. nice paint job of a chain ring on them (im a frenchpolisher>>contact me if you would like a pro job done :))

so who won the free stuff >>>>>heres more gu>>>>> lol i justcouldnt last the length of the prezzo...

JUST CHOPS :)

The last climb was fantastic - plenty wide for overtaking, and enough to get the heart rate right up again after the diddle down the side of the 4X - loved it - masterstroke of the course designer!

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
For the organizers and reviewers of this event - how about a well structured online survey emailed to all entrants to get a broader perspective on the pros/cons of this event?

There are certain comments that are being repeated on this forum - but this is only a snippet of what must be going through the minds of those who competed at the Scott. I'd suggest the sooner the better.

Over to the forum as to areas of concern/delight that might be included in a survey:eg -

• What did you think of the information supplied via the official website?
  • Camping and Vehicle Access logistics.
  • Start - solo vs the rest. Perhaps start certain other categories staggered? (eg schools and ??)
  • Length of track?
  • Aspects of track that worked-didn't work.
  • Time keeping and results posting?
  • Keeping tabs on rider type? Coloured/numbered number plates?
  • Marshalling? Were they always in correct spots?
  • What to do with serial and blatant track rage offenders?
  • Food Vendors? Too many-too few? Type etc etc
  • Toilet/Shower arrangements?
  • Prizes-Awards?
  • Etc.... other suggestions?

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
...how about a well structured online survey emailed to all entrants ...
[/LIST]
Well, a survey doesn't have to ask everyone's opinion - just a representative sample. That's why we only put 200 survey forms in your race plate envelope. That made it pretty good odds of winning a $1000 TV, so the incentive was there to complete the survey - regardless of whether you liked or hated the event. A survey that invites input without reward is unlikely to gain a representative cross-section (usually gaining the opinion of rabid extremists of both the positive and negative persuasion).

rangie

Likes Dirt
should mention that I saw Willo overtake in perfect fashion. At the top of Joey's return he passed me and I tailed him down and we hit a train of slower riders.

Now most impatient wannabes would try and barge past causing all sorts of mayhem (and accidents) but Willo patiently waited and blasted past on a bit of firetrail (he had to wait a fair while, too!) Well done, sir!
willo passed me and two others late on sunday up the long climb, very swiftly and with no drama and was gone...

remember they also won the mens foursomes !