Scott 24hr 2009

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Well, a survey doesn't have to ask everyone's opinion - just a representative sample. That's why we only put 200 survey forms in your race plate envelope. That made it pretty good odds of winning a $1000 TV, so the incentive was there to complete the survey - regardless of whether you liked or hated the event. A survey that invites input without reward is unlikely to gain a representative cross-section (usually gaining the opinion of rabid extremists of both the positive and negative persuasion).
Good point. :) Sorry I didn't get one. Please consider an online survey as well?? An exit survey online could still have been emailed within say 24-48hrs and still also had a great incentive prize attached. It's easier to put one's thoughts together after a period of rest and reflection, rather than maybe being knackered at the event. Out of interest, of the 200 forms - how many did you get back?

Just a thought:)

Good work!

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Result corrections

How many emails are they going to wake up to today?:)
I believe Russ could attest to, lots. No matter what timing system you use there is always something(s) to correct. I've found numerous errors from various endurance events after comparing the official results with the official pizza box lap recordings :eek:

But when your team is not going to effect the top 10 ranking it's nothing to lose sleep over. But it IS nice to have your results correctly entered into history ;)

WildWassa

Banned
Watch ... found at Blue Gums.

At the Scott 24 a watch was found at Blue Gums on the red track. The lug in the wrist band is bent, so it looks like the watch came off after a fall.

Send me a note and I'll post your watch to you. The watch is perfectly fine except for the bent lug in the wrist band ... just a $2 fix at any watchmakers.

I've also posted this in 'Lost, Found and Stolen' ... but the riders are here.

Warren.

Last edited:

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Lost 'n' found

At the Scott 24 a watch found at Blue Gums on the red track. The lug in the wrist band is bent, so it looks like the watch came off after a fall.

Send me a note and I'll post your watch to you. The watch is perfectly fine except for the bent lug in the wrist band ... just a $2 fix at any watchmakers.

I've also posted this in 'Lost, Found and Stolen' ... but the riders are here.

Warren.
We had quite collection of things in the lost and found box yesterday, pumps, glasses, clothes, a bike computer, a mobile phone, multi-tools. If you have lost something then email via http://www.scott24hr.com.au/contact-us/ and Neil should be able to get it back to you if we have it...

Knopey

Likes Dirt
as pi11wizard's wife, my experience of the weekend was one from the pits
packing up camp through the use of a children's buggy (thanks ebuk, b-rad) strapped to my bike was amusing, but handy (knopey - i think it was you letting me through the gate all sunday morning?). also made it much easier to hit the road early for the drive back to newie.
Glad to help :) I felt sorry for all the tired people who had to trudge their stuff up, but at least some did it with a massive grin on their face :D

Unfortunately, in my brief stint as volley I am sorry to say there were some absolute selfish arrogant bastards around on Sunday morning and people like that make you wonder "why bother". It's unlikely any are on RB but if they happen to read this - go screw yourselves you self-centered assholes :mad: Think about what you're doing to future events if you turn people off volunteering like you just did.
On the other hand, thanks to the people who said "thanks" :) But so many bad apples made it an unexpectedly horrible experience.

PURSUTE

Squid
The night laps were my first experience in night riding but was wondering if anyone else thought the night lap was technically harder than the day?
I agree. I have had only a little night riding experience (mostly at the Mont this year), so found the night lap quite challenging. Some of my team mates found it even more challenging, and ended up walking parts of it.

I understand that it is supposed to be difficult, but considering that this event is marketed to a lot of n00bs like me, maybe the course designers could cut out some of the more technical parts at night.

However, my overall experience was great. The atmosphere was was great, friendly and supportive to us less experienced riders.

I also loved that last climb through the camping area. While my legs were burning like the fires of hell, it was a good distraction to have the chears of strangers and the funny signs and mascots.

Good job all 'round Scott 24 team.

ladytoast

Likes Bikes
I know the Mumnuts (2nd place in Female 6's) were emotionally devastated after they entered a category with 4 teams in it, but because two of those teams changed to other categories at the last minute, they did not get to podium at all. They waited patiently with excitement at pressos to get called up, but then, nothing.
We had the same thing in the 40+ male 6s. We checked the computer an hour and a half after the race and we were in third place. We were all so excited, waiting around for the call up at presso, only to find our names were never called. We were all really disappointed... apparently some transponder error on one of the other teams meant we got bumped down to fourth :(

I'm still in counselling.

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
I agree. I have had only a little night riding experience (mostly at the Mont this year), so found the night lap quite challenging. Some of my team mates found it even more challenging, and ended up walking parts of it.

I understand that it is supposed to be difficult, but considering that this event is marketed to a lot of n00bs like me, maybe the course designers could cut out some of the more technical parts at night.

However, my overall experience was great. The atmosphere was was great, friendly and supportive to us less experienced riders.

I also loved that last climb through the camping area. While my legs were burning like the fires of hell, it was a good distraction to have the chears of strangers and the funny signs and mascots.

Good job all 'round Scott 24 team

I loved the night lap. Overall I thinked it lacked the flow of the day lap but was still a great lap with a few challenging rocky parts at night. My night lap was faster than my day lap so I may be bit biased. I agree climb through the campsite was awesome really pushing you on to the finish.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
The night lap was great - but it would have been even better if it could have been ridden in daylight hours as well. And yes it was a bit more of a challenge with some rock gardens to contend with...

Mixed feelings about the last climb. Some laps the climb was a pain in the neck to do - other laps I enjoyed the challenge to push a bit harder, to then really enjoy the final stretch out on the downhill fire road. For a while I thought it must have been only me who found it a bit of a challenge but then heard other riders moans....:D

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The night lap was definitely less technical than day. Being lucky enough to be a local I've ridden Pork Barrel (day) and Skyline (night) many times in daylight and darkness. Pork Barrel has plenty of stuff that'll bite at night if you don't see it coming and switching to Skyline was (IMO) a good idea.

Whilst the Scott is indeed marketed at a wide range of skill levels I would hate to see the night laps dumbed down too much. Most people know at least 3 months out they are doing the event so there is plenty of time to get some night laps under your belt. Night riding is a skill unto itself and should be practiced. I applaud any n00b who has a crack at a 24hr event and don't for a second criticize any rider who finds the course tough, but I've gotta say that those people who rocked up to the event having never done a night lap were pretty dumb.

PS: Pursute - this isn't aimed at you as you have obviously done some night stuff before, I just quoted you for context. Stick with the night stuff, once it clicks you will find there is nothing more fun than a hot run down Skyline at night. For me the absolute high point of the Scott was rounding the 1st corner of Skyline at around 10pm to see empty track in front of me.

Captain Kirk

Likes Bikes
We had the same thing in the 40+ male 6s. We checked the computer an hour and a half after the race and we were in third place. We were all so excited, waiting around for the call up at presso, only to find our names were never called. We were all really disappointed... apparently some transponder error on one of the other teams meant we got bumped down to fourth :(

Well Lady Toast you beat us, 'cause we were 4th then 3rd at the finally 5th.....I gave up caring after arguing with castech for half an hour in their tent about missing laps and riders and having a real surely attitude back....:(

It would have very exciting race with live and accurate timing as we only had 2 minutes between 3 of the team in the top 5....

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Well, I had fun. I dreamed a few extra laps on Saturday night that obviously didn't get picked up by the fine people at Castech ;) (and the climb up through camp wasn't any easier from the comfort of my sleeping bag)

Thanks to new friends like shineslike and Mrs wittman13, and old faces that I look forward to seeing every race.

But so many bad apples made it an unexpectedly horrible experience.
Unfortunate.

If I missed you out there Knopey, THANKS STACKS. These events wouldn't happen without selfless people like yourself.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
For me the absolute high point of the Scott was rounding the 1st corner of Skyline at around 10pm to see empty track in front of me.
Yeah how cool was that. I got the same at about 3am. Shooting across Skyline with just my noisy drivetrain for company was very sweet.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
As a volunteer at this years Scott, I loved it. Overall, everyone was so much more polite and considerate. There is always one or two that spoil it for others.

To everyone who came through the rego tent, thank you:
  • For your patience as we hunted for you team details;
  • For listening to us repeat ourselves ad nauseum about the number plates, transponders and our ‘threat’ of chasing you down to collect the $50 for any that go missing; and
  • Special thanks to the team who, when asked to return in “half an hour” so I could prepare their last minute entry, returned with a coffee - you were a god send.

As a participant (woo hoo, I won the solo singlespeed female category), I’m amazed at the helpfulness, the encouragement from other riders and particularly to Bec who shouted at me to “stick it” on a switchback I struggled at on the last lap – I wouldn’t have made that one with out you.

I apologise to those that I held up, and thank those that passed me carefully and with plenty of notice.

To the delightful chap who decided that overtaking down Pork Barrel was a smart idea. I hope it was worth it.

And finally, thank you to my fellow volunteers who were my support crew. Volunteering can be a thankless task, but you all do it with grace, resilience and a damn good sense of humour, event after event.

rangie

Likes Dirt

Dont understand, there were other categories which had only one person/group/team etc and they were awarded 'prizes'. Others had two, and both called up..or am I hallucinating ?

Whats with the one trophy lark ? Surely, people in a 4 person team for example can be given something too as a keepsake. A bottle, spray, or similar is pointless as most will get what they want from LBS. A little doodad, is a lot more precious. Perhaps a neat divider, so each member can get a slice of the trophy on offer as a momento :confused:

or as someone mentioned a time share :)

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt

That is simply rank :(

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
We had the same thing in the 40+ male 6s.

We need more chix in our sport, so I really hope you girls come back and aren't put off by this one bad year (it's not always like this I swear!), I am sure they will learn a lot from this year and address these problems for next year.
Um er, Ladytoast is an old bloke, we gots plenty of them in the sport :p

Last edited:

Tazdevil

Likes Bikes
Stromlo wrap up

Sorry if I repeat what others have said:

Overall the event was great and I’ll be back for more – God willing..

Positives
1. Good weather (!)
2. Good course variations.
3. Good rider manners by the majority.
4. Great efforts by volunteers – they cannot be thanked enough.
5. Bike Culture – what great guys!

Negatives
1. Poor starting method – dangerous – people getting “run” down.
2. Track too short for the number of riders.
3. Timing problems – but to be fair this seems to always happen – chip timing is the way to go without a doubt.
4. More track tweaking required – some parts just need a little more tidying up prior to commencement of the event.
5. Too slow to enter the venue by car – too many separate marshals to stop at (three???) – come on! Adherence of the no movement of cars after 9am Saturday that are not in the outer car park???
6. The bullshit throwing out of free junk prior to the presentation. This was piss poor – who give a flying hoot about GU! Presentation should start on time (1.30pm in my opinion) and be quick – 1 hour at the MOST. People have long distances to drive home. Finishing at nearly 4pm is simply unacceptable. This happened last year too. It is the last time I bother attending. I agree each winning team member needs a better memento.
7. This has happened every year for the last 4 years at least. Poor website. Too late. Everything is last minute including maps etc in the last week. Simply having some slick front page with half empty entries elsewhere on the site is not a good look when you are trying to promote such a massive event. People want to know what is going on. What happened to the live web updates? What happened to web enabled phone updates? (My Nokia did not work…) The web site is still yet to show race results??
8. Radio: 99.5MHZ. I could not get it to work on my digital tuner – was it my location? (300m away, but line of site with the pavilion)
9. At one of the world's largest MTB events and no Jersery for purchase? What happened to that nice little sticker you could put on a tool box? They were groooovy.

Suggestions
1. Stagger the start by categories – eg fastest to slowest, 1 or 2 minutes apart, soloists last (or 10 to 15 minutes out front – get ‘em up and over the hill out of the way…. but we still love them…). You could still have a running start for the sheer entertainment if you must… (no more than 100m pleeeeease!)
2. Go for the disposable timing chips. (Angry Dr had them I think). Place another timing mat/s along the course.
2. More toilets. What happened to the far end of the camping area – were there any loos there? (there was the other year)
3. I agree – forget the showers – hardly anyone uses them, and most that do, abuse them anyhow (and are soft!)
4. Go back to figure 8 course. This solves two problems: Congestion and deceleration of track deterioration.
5. Get a new web page designer/manager. (CORC for that matter too.)
6. Better bling... (not more, even less, but just better...)

Again, our team of 4 had a blast. You have to have fun at these events – it is a bit of a production to simply attend and ride – if there are too many negatives perhaps people will shy away. With some simple improvements the event could be even better than it already is. :)

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Pork Barrel has plenty of stuff that'll bite at night if you don't see it coming and switching to Skyline was (IMO) a good idea.

I applaud any n00b who has a crack at a 24hr event and don't for a second criticize any rider who finds the course tough
That course is deceptively difficult I dare say. It seems "easy" in that just about anyone can ride it slowly, but IMHO it's punishing both to mistakes and to poor pacing. Very easy to wind it up too much on those climbs, which are middle ringable to most, and over cook those descents! Pick a poor line, slide a little too much and you're in for a world of pain I'd suggest! I would suggest come sunday morning there wasn't a solo rider in the park that wouldn't have called the course tough.

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz