Scott 24hr 2009

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Technically I didn't "win" as I was the only one in the category - not that I'm going to let a technicality get in my way of claiming glory.

As for the bruises and scratches, I'll just have to learn to push back a little harder next time.
Kris
What SS were you on??
Were you on the orange Sir??
If so I was the guy who came past and commented, "Nice Sir".
I was on the black Salsa Mamasita.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Kris
What SS were you on??
Were you on the orange Sir??
If so I was the guy who came past and commented, "Nice Sir".
I was on the black Salsa Mamasita.
I was on a blue Fuji which my lovely LBS converted for me free of charge so they could laugh at me.

I was passed by so many people, with so many comments I don't recall them all - mostly of the variety of "you're on a SS and you're a girl?"

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was on a blue Fuji which my lovely LBS converted for me free of charge so they could laugh at me.

I was passed by so many people, with so many comments I don't recall them all - mostly of the variety of "you're on a SS and you're a girl?"
Yep, remember seeing you at some point.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Highlights for me were ... and seeing my 12 year old daughter (who does almost no training) power in with a 65 minute lap. Even her fourth lap was a solid 67. Shameless plug I know, but I am one proud mum! :D
So you should be. When this one was 12, she rode in the (then) Mont in a team of 6 and delivered 3 laps which were faster than the average male day lap time. Without knowing the average male day lap time for 2009, you'd have to think that Zoe would be close.

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
Yeah, Bec is a great role model for all the young girls getting into the sport - I know my three girls always follow her results and look out for pictures of her in the mags. Zoe met her at the ACT Interschools and now they are friends, which is really nice. Its good when you see the top athletes in our sport taking an interest in the younger kids because it gives them a real boost. Good on you, Bec.

Without knowing the average male day lap time for 2009, you'd have to think that Zoe would be close.
I do feel vaguely sorry for the many "average males" that she must have passed. :)

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Yeah, Bec is a great role model for all the young girls getting into the sport - I know my three girls always follow her results and look out for pictures of her in the mags. Zoe met her at the ACT Interschools and now they are friends, which is really nice. Its good when you see the top athletes in our sport taking an interest in the younger kids because it gives them a real boost.
Its a natural progression :) This is a young Bec being "role modeled" by then 24Hr Aussie Champ Tory Thomas some years back.

Attachments

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Congratulations to all the juniors who raced on the weekend. Some of your times were a blast and I know how hard some of you rode! One female junior in our local team lost her back brakes on the descent, and rode down just on her front brake.... She took a spill or two but made it back to the bottom... Gutsy effort!

One down side in terms of discouragement was during the award presentation of the schools teams the announcer was mid stream naming the various riders names and then dropped in an 'etcetera', as if to speed things up during the announcement. Then for the rest of the teams didn't bother naming the young people. This was very disappointing for riders, friends and family :mad:.
(Maybe less preliminary bumpf of handing out freebies....)

I hope the junior rider who was riding in front of me and whom I saw go over his handle bars as he made a last minute decision to go down the 'B' line at Pork Barrel was ok.

Back to awards - how about a decent individual medal/trophy for each individual team member? A single trophy is a bit hard to divide except with a saw. My son has a nice momento of his efforts at the ACT schools. I realise that these things will gather dust - but for some they will be tangible momento to look back on, whereas drink bottle holders etc will soon go the way of most things...

Last edited:

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Technically I didn't "win" as I was the only one in the category - not that I'm going to let a technicality get in my way of claiming glory.

As for the bruises and scratches, I'll just have to learn to push back a little harder next time.
Pffft! Details! The thing is... you won!

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Yeah, Bec is a great role model for all the young girls getting into the sport - I know my three girls always follow her results and look out for pictures of her in the mags. Zoe met her at the ACT Interschools and now they are friends, which is really nice. Its good when you see the top athletes in our sport taking an interest in the younger kids because it gives them a real boost. Good on you, Bec.

I do feel vaguely sorry for the many "average males" that she must have passed. :)
Having perfected the art of being extremely average since 1973 I just got used to the fact :rolleyes:

ebuk

Likes Dirt
This sums up the event pretty well for me. (quiet day at work today :)).

Thanks to everyone involved

• The sportograf guy after the echidna gap yelling alez alez alez!
• The pump track finish of each lap
• Polite and friendly people that pass. The huge majority.
• Stopping half way up the climb, leaning the bike on the barricade and watching the riders go past.
• having a shower at 6pm on the sunday night. oh yeah!
• Dickson noodle house, beef laksa (what's a laksa? :))
• chatting to the other soloists and telling them to keep smiling and having fun riding 6 laps with your wingman and chatting to any and everyone
• yelling 'skids are for kids' at all the riders locking it up for corners
• abusing the one major dickhead that passed me, I was calling him a fuckhead and enjoying it cause I know it is true
• annoying the 2nd major dickhead by chasing him down and tyre rubbing him up the trail for the next 500 meters and asking if he really needed to be such a cock when he pushed past me and watching him do his hardest to pull away from me. This must be what a dive bombing magpie feels like :).
• chatting to the roving marshalls, especially the one with two hooters
• teddy bears on track
• the wheelie contest / honk if you're horny camp.
• riding with one gear
• a happy and smiling group in the pits
• soloing solo
• pizza and beer for energy and comfort
• how many silly wheeled bikes that were there. perfect track for it too.
• actually enjoying 90% of the start climb, although I'd love to see an alternative way of going up that mountain.
• watching my wingman blast ahead on anything fun or technical
• cleaning that really sucky section of the night lap after the downhill
• the peoples champion jason english trying to track down who the barfer was
• camping sunday night. the whole place to yourself.
• Seeing a big smile back from anyone working at the event when giving them a thank you
• cruisy rides round the crit track monday morning
• watching a certain rider put away his tent ;).

Dislikes
• no hour glass format. it wasnt the concept we didn't like, it was the track that was chosen in 2008 that was bad
• no water signage up? I know I wasn't the only one walking round looking for the bright blue flags
• ratio of toilet to people. 2500 entrants + support crews + families + kids = lots of 1's and 2's
• how quiet people were on track. you'd pull behind a conga line and none would say anything
• the start. it was ugly being in a group of 170+ soloists, can't imagine how bad it would have been for the teams
• hearing that people were rude or abusive to volunteers.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Shortly after riding through the two rocks atop Mt Stromlo there is a left hand turn that meets a fire road that is crossed, then onwards down the hill. This LH turn has a large parallel rut in it – get caught and you’re toast – I saw a female rider come to grief here – she was OK but shook up a bit. Wombat junction for both laps seems too rocky approach, lots of people were hooked up there in both directions. The rocky LH turn near the end of the lower section of the course to gain a short section of fire trail – lots of people got hooked up here – not too dangerous, again just a bit untidy. That mud section near the end – better bridging was required.

I think Stromlo demands a minimum amount of riding experience. How this experience can be vetted I am unsure. People turning up having not ever ridden a night lap? Come on…! I do a bit of running and the longer events demand proof of experience – you cannot rock up to an Ultra without first providing evidence of other events attended (showing how you have worked your way up the ‘ladder’). What is the worst that can happen running – trip over? Heat Stroke? Sprained ankle? What is the worst that can happen riding - Broken back and legs? Smashed pelvis? Brain damage? It can get serious out there…

Stromlo ain’t no Sparrow Hill. And that’s the way we like it! More variety!
No worries, I might get that looked at as part of the post-race maintenance. This is the first I've heard of it so in future events please speak up and we'll sort it! Unfortunately once the race is underway it's too late but if you find it in practice (and this is true for all events, not just the Scott) then please speak up.

There is no real minimum experience for most MTB races, particularly as the Scott is targeted at a wide 'participation' audience. I know what you're saying but it would limit the race to the crowd it is not necessarily intended for.

Fully agree about Stromlo v Sparrows. Sparrows may be gob loads of fun, but it ain't technical!

Cheers!

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Yeah - without wanting to name names, but the Sunday afternoon joke out there was, "How many world solo champions does it take to fold up a tent?" :)
Snicker, I've watched this exercise before...

...without wanting to name names either, apparantly clicking on the "unlock" button of your car key doesn't help you get into said tent either.

Cheers
Gonz

DaGonz

Eats Squid
the start. it was ugly being in a group of 170+ soloists, can't imagine how bad it would have been for the teams
Actually that's a good point. I'm fearing the worlds start next year now :( 400+ soloists?

Cheers
Gonz

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
So I've had time now to think of a meaningful response to the 2009 Scott 24 and here's my two cents.

Good Stuff.
Firstly, Neil Dall and his team were bloody awesome. As a race director myself I know how hard this can be and can only imagine how much harder it is when it's as big as the Scott. Neil is to be FULLY congratulated, and thanked massively!
The course, was unreal. Even though I wasn't competing, I had the chance to ride both laps on Friday and loved it... Jess also loved it.
Amount of sponsorship. To be able to attract the number and quality of sponsors you have... and to attract NON MTB sponsors is truly a credit to b
CORC in general... This is the benchmark club of Australia, and you guys continue to impress with your professionalism.
Catering
First Class... these guys were prompt, well priced and cheerful... also, the Pizza guy was friggen awesome and Jess loved her little piece at 8pm... and we support guys loved our 3-4 pizza's we smashed!

Bad Stuff.
Friday night LIVE BAND... I'm sure many solo riders will join with me when I say that who ever thought it would be a good idea to have a LIVE BAND playing till 11pm on the Friday night... CLEARLY has never had any experience in riding in a 24HR race before.
This was the single most stupid thing I've ever seen at the many, many races I've been to. The band was scheduled to play until about 11pm, and thankfully due once again to the professionalism of Neil Dall this was stopped at 10pm. CORC entertainment organiser please listen... THIS WAS SILLY
The Course... The figure 8 last year was in my opinion the best and ONLY method of being able to fit this many riders onto Mt Stromlo. Solo riders shouldn't be left out on a 20k course, therefore the only way is a figure 8 multi lap config.
Timing.
I will show my hand first... I'm a big fan of Russ' software and think it works a treat. I'm also a fan of using electronic transponders... which Russ' software could use without any problem. Not have ANY results at all for many hours was not just a JOKE... but brought the entire event into question. Then when the results were available... the interface used to display them, was amateurish and lacked detailed information...(fastest laps etc). Further when things were going wrong... instead of trying to fix them, it appeared that nothing was being done to rectify... Jess went some 4 laps without being recorded before I was notified... this was by another support person. There are other issues with the timing but I'll leave it there.
Overall bling to the race.
I've always known the Scott to be the PREMIER race. This year lacked many of the little things that made this... like the screen... dis-organised solo pit area... camping area getting locked too early on Sunday night, lack of toilets for solo area.. and generally too few toilets... etc etc.
Website.
I'm a web developer and have been for many years... I have learned long ago... that the only people who care about fancy graphics on a home page that take too long to load, is the graphic designer creating them...
Viewers don't CARE about pretty graphics... they just want information to solve their problems. As of Tuesday 6pm, there still isn't any obvious RESULTS link to be seen... or any POST RACE wrap. Forget the fancy graphics... and just make a website that has relevant information when people need it.

Again, I need to once again say, that Neil Dall and his team were awesome. My comments are not meant to discredit him in anyway. Thanks for reading.

Last edited: