Scott 24hr 2009

the head

Likes Bikes
I just rode both laps as per the map and the night was right on 18k's as stated but the day lap was only just 16k's, the lap times were about the same though. Don't know if they will add a bit somewhere for the day lap or if it will just be a bit short?

If it does end up being 16k's it may get a bit busy, Pork Barrell was a bit knocked around, be interesting to see if it creates a bit of a traffic jam. Still aside from a couple of little sections the tracks look like they'll be great.
Are you sure you didn't take a "short cut".

the head

Likes Bikes
Is that the one that was on the blue lap last year?
Not really. Pork Barrel begins right up near the top of the mountain. There is a section towards the lower north-western side of the mountain (double dissolution) that appeared in last years blue lap and looks like it will be used again this year as part of the day lap.

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
I'm trying to sort out my food requirements for going 24solo. Do the commentary pimps normally hand out free gu to solo riders?

tex72

Likes Dirt
I'm trying to sort out my food requirements for going 24solo. Do the commentary pimps normally hand out free gu to solo riders?
I wouldn't count on it. You might get 1 or 2 promos in your race pack. Otherwise you need to be pretty lucky as random 'prizes' are given out in transition (where solos' don't really spend much time haning around)

My tip: fend for yourself

wittman13

Likes Dirt
Well last year, as a solo rider, you didn't go past the dudes on the mic, so no schwag for the soloists. Better of to bring your own, or you might end up having to bum one of a random rider when you bonk mid lap.

frensham

Likes Dirt
I am a bit concerned about all the talk of having ridden or going to ride the course when it says not to ride on equestrian trails until the friday before the event......

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I think the day lap does not go on any of the equestrian roads. The night lap does, but im pretty sure your not going to come across anyone, and if you do they don't seem to care.

smokeybear

Likes Bikes
I am a bit concerned about all the talk of having ridden or going to ride the course when it says not to ride on equestrian trails until the friday before the event......
We probably need some official clarification on this one as the signage I've looked at seems to indicate it's a multi use area that is open to both cyclists and horse riders, the obligation is on cyclists to stop and give way to horses and their appropriate operators.

As far as I can see its not possible to ride the Stromlo trunk trail without crossing an equestrian trail so its seems reasonable to ride there with the obligation on cyclists to give way. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
We probably need some official clarification on this one as the signage I've looked at seems to indicate it's a multi use area that is open to both cyclists and horse riders, the obligation is on cyclists to stop and give way to horses and their appropriate operators.

As far as I can see its not possible to ride the Stromlo trunk trail without crossing an equestrian trail so its seems reasonable to ride there with the obligation on cyclists to give way. Correct me if I'm wrong.
There are some fire roads that cyclist are not aloud to ride along as they are for hoarse riders. In the same way, they aren't allowed on the single track, although I have seen poo on some of the tracks.

the head

Likes Bikes
There are some fire roads that cyclist are not aloud to ride along as they are for hoarse riders. In the same way, they aren't allowed on the single track, although I have seen poo on some of the tracks.
Are there? I'm not taking the piss. I had no idea that we weren't allowed on every fire trail out there. Is it sign posted?

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
I rode both day and night laps yesterday and not once did I see any sign or anything else to say I couldn't ride it all.
What equestrian only trails? I have never seen a sign that says that...

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Hate to be a party pooper but...

Map of equestrian trails is on the interactive map:
http://www.stromloforestpark.com.au/maps/spf_InteractiveMap_001.swf

And if you go here:
http://www.stromloforestpark.com.au/equestrian/conditions_of_use.php

you'll read the following:
-
Wow, some signage would have been nice ;) I imagine there is some somewhere, but stuffed if I have ever seen anything to say you can't ride those fire trails... so if there are signs, they aint workin'.

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
Wow, some signage would have been nice ;) I imagine there is some somewhere, but stuffed if I have ever seen anything to say you can't ride those fire trails... so if there are signs, they aint workin'.
Unless things have changed, mtb trails are marked with blue posts, and horse trails are marked with orange posts... Yes this could be better sign posted and last time I looked it the horse trails also included the section under the bridge just before the start of the berm trail.

mtnbike

Squid
stromlo

when down there recently i heard that it took 2 years to decide upon the signage that pleased all parties ... mtb'ers, horsies and other.
Speaking of the Scott 24 - with it coming up and if people want to ride it before the big race we've got a trip heading down on Sat 3 Oct and coming back Sun 4 Oct. we're going to do a night ride over at Strom so people can get use to the conditions. we'll also have some lights for demo - nothing like a little extra power with radical lights!
More details about the trips from Syd to Canberra check out www.mtnbike.com.au
cheers - Will

the head

Likes Bikes