Simpson Desert Bike Challenge thread.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Hey all,
I'm starting to get the car ready to go as medical support for this trip. As I'm already volunteering my time and laying out a fair bit of cash for fuel I'm trying to save a bit of coin and if anyone has any of the following that I can borrow for two weeks for the trip it would be much appreciated:
- fridge - Engel, Waeco etc.
- battery pack to run a fridge off
- vehicle side awning - the type that mounts on Rhino racks
- spare wheel to suit pajero/delica
- spare jerry cans for fuel and water

Cheers

Edit: BTW, based in Brissy.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Hey all,
I'm starting to get the car ready to go as medical support for this trip. As I'm already volunteering my time and laying out a fair bit of cash for fuel I'm trying to save a bit of coin and if anyone has any of the following that I can borrow for two weeks for the trip it would be much appreciated:
- fridge - Engel, Waeco etc.
- battery pack to run a fridge off
- vehicle side awning - the type that mounts on Rhino racks
- spare wheel to suit pajero/delica
- spare jerry cans for fuel and water

Cheers

Edit: BTW, based in Brissy.
Good on you for giving so generously! Do you mind dropping me a note on the contact form at http://www.isi-carriers.com? Let's chat and see if I can wrangle some equipment for you (except for the spare wheel).....

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
The race started yesterday morning with a glorious day's weather.

After day one, Lynton Stretton is leading the field. Lynton is a well weathered man, well into the 50+ category and with superhuman strength and stamina. He is a past winner of the event and riding a skinny(ish) tyre Scott Spark XC race bike. Behind him are a hungry pack of fat bike riders.

Unfortunately two riders were swept up which puts an end to their quest for a 100% medal. That'd be tough to handle on day one after all the effort gaining physical and mental toughness to compete in the event.

Today though is a really tough day for the competitors and I fear that more will fall victim to the tougher track conditions and the 40 deg temp forecast. I reckon that the fat bikes will do well today. That said, Lynton is the sort of bloke who can throw the bike on his back and run up the sand dunes fast than most can ride up on fat bikes.

The morning 80km of soft dunes will be over and the competitors will be getting ready for the start of the afternoon 50km leg. Today's lunch stop is by a big clay pan and hopefully the wind is gentle so that the riders can rest and support crews do their thing in peace.

It's a tough ride for sure.

Damn it I am so there in spirit.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
memories

ahhh, the memories,
and how I got beat by 9% of the desert.

I might have to go back to win next year.

DW-1

Dirt Works
You will have to wait in line there Dreggsy. There are a bunch of us already planning our victory speech for next year's race. Isn't that right Wayne?
speak for yourself George. I'm just hoping to get to the starting line...

DW-1

Dirt Works
results are in:

SDBC results 2012.jpg

Congrats to all riders. This years course was back to the desert in a big way.

Special note should be made that of the top 10 finishers... 8 were riding FAT. And one of the skinny riders was Lynton "hard as nails" Stretton. Who led the race until day 4. Amazing effort.

You will note that only 7 riders got the coveted 100% medallion. Well done everyone.

Elvis.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
A great event all round and a real pleasure racing with Lynton again.

Terry Flaskos took stage 9 and made over $14,000 for the RFDS!

Lou McLaren, 74 years young took the final stage. Despite all those years of experience he still suffered from a sore arse. Some things never change.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
A great event all round and a real pleasure racing with Lynton again.

Terry Flaskos took stage 9 and made over $14,000 for the RFDS!

Lou McLaren, 74 years young took the final stage. Despite all those years of experience he still suffered from a sore arse. Some things never change.
So pleased to see Muz and you getting up and winning Al. You two are desert Mafia. Always together side by side, sitting tall in the saddle, arms wide and pulling tall gears. The both of you always look so relaxed on the bike.

Now I must comment on you last sentence and how this race - like no other that I am aware of - brings such a strong a sense of community, camaraderie, self sacrifice, whatever the right word is. I saw that you stopped for some time on the Eastern edge of Lake Nappanerica on the final stage and now I see why. I bet that you all gathered there to collect the riders and have Lou ride in first into Birdsville. That is just fantastic!

Well done and how inspiring!

Last edited:

Olefin

Likes Bikes
I've said this before, the SDBC is a really about people, the whole crew, not just the riders. The challenge brings people together and brings out the best in them.

If we could spread "SDBC Spirit" around the world would be a better place.

Olefin

Likes Bikes
Listen to the wind blow, Watch the sun rise - Race Report 2012

http://letterfromaustralia.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/listen-to-wind-blow-watch-sun-rise.html

In 2012 I think I finally understand the Simpson Desert Challenge. It's not about the bikes, the tubeless conversions, the waxed chains. It's not about the dunes, the heat or the distance. It’s not about the riders, the support crews, the medics, the time keepers or all the hard work that makes it happen each year. These elements are all important but they only set the stage. The SDBC is really about the people. The backdrop, the challenge, brings out the very best in people.

IMG_3429.JPG