Simpson Desert Bike Challenge thread.

DW-1

Dirt Works
There is a wealth of information on the Simpson Desert Bike Challenge web site http://www.desertchallenge.org/ but take it easy as you digest it. There is a lot to consider.

Elvis on this thread is the guy to ask about buying a fat bike. He looked after the SDBC participants with specials and moved mountains to help me when I destroyed a couple of race tyres right before the event. He is also a wealth of information on competing in the race and upon reflection, every piece of information he passed onto me was spot on. Thanks Elvis!
awwwwwww... thanks George.

to anyone thinking of taking on the Simpson Desert...

I would say find a quiet rainy weekend and start at the beginning of this thread and work your way forward. You will plenty of time and space wasting, back and forth between riders posted. (probably plenty of that from me)

But you'll also get plenty of solid sound advice from people that have actually ridden the event. (I'm a three time victim, for example) Besides... you can always skim past the pointless posts and click forward to the next page.

If you want to talk specifics... ask away. That way the info can be shared with others who may be considering the same silliness. However... if you're the shy type... you can always shoot me an email. elvis@dirtworks.com.au

Elvis.

Last edited:

DW-1

Dirt Works
so...

who's up for it?

my wife tells me yesterday, that she's organised time off from her work in late Sept/early Oct... (I think she was trying to give me a hint)

Elvis.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Time to get back on the training programme?
in a scary way... yes.

But I know what I have to do... and maybe... for once... I'll do it 8 months in advance instead of waiting until the last 12 weeks...

on the bike front though, this time I'm taking two bikes. if the course is the *actual* Simpson... it's Pug' time. (with a 4.7" wide big fat larry on the front)

parts_tire_bigfatLarry.jpg

Ain't no fatbike fat enough for real serious sand.

On the other hand... should the course (once again) be diverted onto less "deserty" places... perhaps, places of ass destroying corrugations, then I'll have a nice Salsa Spearfish dual suspension 29er with me running 2.4" tyres.

Thinking about bikes is my way of deluding myself into ignoring the training pain that is to come.

How about you alchemist? SS CX category perhaps?

Elvis.

DW-1

Dirt Works
will the BFL fit in there, the pug I mean, they're huge (on a clown shoe they are anyway)
they will fit in a Moonlander fork. Easily fitted to the front of the Pug'.

The rear will fit (just) if I switch cranks to the Mr Whirly MWOD

parts_mwod.jpg

Not sure if that's on a Rolling Darryl or a Large Marge though...

Maybe a Moonlander is the better choice? Start with Clown Shoes and chuck an Alfine 11 in the back end...

or maybe just start training first.

Elvis.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Ain't no fatbike fat enough for real serious sand.

On the other hand... should the course (once again) be diverted onto less "deserty" places... perhaps, places of ass destroying corrugations, then I'll have a nice Salsa Spearfish dual suspension 29er with me running 2.4" tyres.

Thinking about bikes is my way of deluding myself into ignoring the training pain that is to come.
If you go down that road Wayne, do all of your MTB training on fat and road riding on spoofy.

I carried a spare dual suspension bike just in case but then when the event took a turn, it dawned on me that I'd done little training on the dually and was unwise to start the event on it. Mind you, Melanie enjoyed having the bike to toodle around on and was zero hassle during her support duties - so it wasn't a complete waste.

DW-1

Dirt Works
For 2012... we're making plans to head up to Coober Pedy via the Oodnadatta Track this time. Instead of the faster, but seriously more boring, route of Port Augusta and then the highway. Plan is to stop at Coward Springs overnight and I'll head off on the bike the next morning at 6am.

Support car to follow at around 2pm and pick me up when they catch me.

May even do that a couple of days in a row. Would be a nice way to ease the draining effects of the drive out and get some riding in at the same time.

A nice way to stretch the legs on the way out...

Actually a hot tip is to carefully time your drive to the start. Plan to hit Dalhousie 1st thing in the morning (after staying at Mt Dare overnight). That way you can have a quick swim, then get on the bike for the ride out to Purnie Bore. A nice (soft) introduction to the sand hell that is to come...

(working on the assumption that the event will actually make it back to the Simpson Desert proper this year...)

Elvis.

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
I'd fancy being on somebody/s support crew, moving a vehicle, stuff like that. I think I'd be available too.

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Free bump...

I'll probably be there as a volunteer medic.

Trying to figure out the transport thing, I don't have my own 4x4. Someone did mention a possibility of riding along in someone elses car... I might be able to borrow a 4x4 but I need to see if they'll comp me some fuel costs actually, don't really want to spend all that money when I'm already volunteering my time...

Hugor

Likes Dirt
This event is on my bucket list. Unfortunately I'm out of the country right now but due back shortly. I really hope it survives.

DW-1

Dirt Works
so despite me best intentions... this year has ended up being a bomb.

Currently dealing with a broken hand. So definitely no desert for me.

This year.

Elvis.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
There's a little video on last year's race at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXKO7TmPrH0

With the desert being closed in 2010 and 2011, the event had to be rerouted through different desert areas and the flavour of the race changed. They were both bloody hard rides but what they did miss out on I think was that feeling of being totally and comprehensively exhausted, sore as hell, struggling to breathe, all alone and standing there with an ocean of dunes ahead of you and the very essence of your being just dragging you to stop, sit down and cry. This year should see a return to the monumental challenge that 120km a day in sand and dunes brings.

Oh and in that video, you will see what true love and sacrifice is all about. When I arrived at the Charlotte waters camp I was covered in sweat, snot and stink, crusty with salt and sporting a filthy red-dust stained toothy grimace, my darling wife greeted me with a beautiful soothing kiss. Moreover, that was after she had - on her own - already set up camp with my soft bed at the ready, prepared the shower and a glorious spread of food and chilled drinks.

This is so much more than a bike race. It's one of those occasions, when your maturity, self awareness and perception of life and of things around you - and the yardstick by which you measure all makes a leap, like a mathematical step function, to a level that is unprecedented and unexpected. I reckon that everyone should experience what this brings.

batesy

Squid
as above, respect mate, awesome write up george, would love to do it one day, looks like an unreal challenge...

cheers