Skewing the olive

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Is that one of those tools that cuts the hose as well?
nope, this one

A combo tool would be good, but these were available at the time.

Shimano does a combo tool but it's $100. The jagwire cutter and needle driver cost $50ish together (now about $65 for both). I might have done local pickup at a bikebug store, but if you buy over the threshold ($100?) it's free delivery anyways (no I don't work for them), just bought a lot of stuff sometimes same or cheaper than CRC etc

stirk

Burner
Cable cutters is what you need for cutting gear cable and outers and brake hose. Cuts perfectly and does not fray the gear cable. A hammer sorts out the barb, not a poodle sized hammer just a little one will do.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Olive is not straight. Do you manage to slightly ovalise it so it's not able to seat. Looks like it's had a few beers.
I KNOW THAT! One of us definitely had beers after. Ciders actually as I don't drink beer.

ausdb

Being who he is
The olive needs to be a bit further down the hose so it can compress onto the hose at both ends. Compare yours to Mooreys samples and yours is only on the end of the hose which is why it is going cock eye as you tighten it up.
Next attempt assemble the connection lightly and whilst you start to tighten the nut keep pushing the hose into the port on the lever as you are doing it up. Only release the inward pressure on the hose when you feel the olive start to compress.

DMan

The olive needs to be a bit further down the hose so it can compress onto the hose at both ends. Compare yours to Mooreys samples and yours is only on the end of the hose which is why it is going cock eye as you tighten it up.
Next attempt assemble the connection lightly and whilst you start to tighten the nut keep pushing the hose into the port on the lever as you are doing it up. Only release the inward pressure on the hose when you feel the olive start to compress.
I'll try having the olive lower. I was holding the barb in against the lever while tightening it but maybe the olive needs to be lower than I initially have it.

moorey

call me Mia
I'll try having the olive lower. I was holding the barb in against the lever while tightening it but maybe the olive needs to be lower than I initially have it.
It’s not something I’ve ever consciously done...yet never had an issue. Like falling off a bike. I also crush that.

DMan

Don't think so. The nut locates the olive as far in as it can go as you tighten it.
Pushing the hose and barb right in seems to ensure the olive sits back a few mm. That’s all I got.
That's what I thought. The nut pushes the olive in to where it seats and squishes it I thought? So it doesn't really matter where the olive is.