Sleep: How much do you get a day?

How many hours of sleep do you get a day?

• 9-10

Votes: 40 13.0%
  • 8-9

Votes: 61 19.9%
  • 7-8

Votes: 101 32.9%
  • 6-7

Votes: 54 17.6%
  • 5-6

Votes: 37 12.1%
  • Less than five!

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • None, I'm on gas!

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters

foxx-racing

Likes Dirt
...I managed to get my thumb caught in the drill when I was half asleep the other day. I'm damn lucky I only came out with a huge bruise.
One of my friends wasn't so lucky when the same thing happened and lost half of his thumb, lucky he found it and got to hospital quickly.

It was quite amusing though, he came home and told his wife that he had cut half of his thumb of and she thought he was just being silly and that he had only cut himself. Apparently she turned white when she saw it - I could believe that.

dhr_matt

Likes Dirt
6 hours on average for me, not proud of it at all but i'd have to go to bed now to get 8 hours and thats just a waste of time.

anyone heard that not much sleep causes cancer too :rolleyes:

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt
One of my friends wasn't so lucky when the same thing happened and lost half of his thumb, lucky he found it and got to hospital quickly.

It was quite amusing though, he came home and told his wife that he had cut half of his thumb of and she thought he was just being silly and that he had only cut himself. Apparently she turned white when she saw it - I could believe that.
I know someone who put his hand in a blender. Lost half his finger. Well i didn't know him but i knew his brother.

pinned--->

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, compromising personal time for works' sake is something I'm not prepared to do.

Funny story. I turn on my alarm every night before going to bed, double checking the current time, alarm time and am/pm setting. Last night I fucked it and set the current time two hours earlier than it actually was. So I wake up to an alarm buzzing in my ear look up and think "shit, is it 5 already?". I then hop out of bed, get dressed, have a quick coffee and clean my teeth and put my boots on. As I was walking out the door I turn on my phone and the time says it's 3:15am.....I think "faaark no way, some pricks messed with the time", run and check the house clock which reveals that the time really is 3:15am. Fuck. Undress, lay in bed and wait until 5:00 and then do the same shit again...
Even worse when you wake up to the sun beaming in your eyes. When usually its still dark 30 minutes after you start work. :eek:

Breaka,
I have done that before, except it was on a saturday... Luckily I only opened the fridge to get breaky
before I realised it was the weekend.

Nathan_

Likes Dirt
i can happily sleep 12+ on w/e's

During the week 5-6 hours, cant seem to get to sleep before 1, then i get sucked into late night tv :p

Raw Toast Man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends if im training in the morning :eek: Normally 5-6 hours if I am. After I finish work its hard to sleep.
I havnt had a sleep in* for ages.
*past 830/9 am

Bocaj1994

Likes Dirt

During the week 5-6 hours, cant seem to get to sleep before 1, then i get sucked into late night tv :p
"Would you like cleaner and smoother looking skin in just three days with only 5 easy payments...."

Tomas

my mum says im cool

Mine sounds very similar at the moment with uni holidays. 1-1 sleeping = nice.

Mine sucks.

Thurs-Saturday, im never in bed before 2 and have to get up at 8 for work = death!

During the week, (pending late uni classes), i can get a solid 7 hours which is alright.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At home I have 7-8 hours per night. Whilst at work it varies. At present, my sleeping pattern is all fucked up as I have had 12 hours sleep in 3 days. I want to go to sleep but I can't dammit! Roll on Tuesday when I get off this noisy, rusty bucket of shite.:mad:

Viv92

Eats Squid
I get heaps of sleep, but I don't sleep in, it makes me feel bad. Not much to do at night for me so I go to bed between 8:30 and 9, sometimes even earlier. I usually wake up between 6:30 and 7. I get up once at night for 10 mins to go to the toilet and get a drink, otherwise I'm like a log.

After a big XC ride or a whole day DH'ing I can get up to 11 hours. :eek:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
When I was working nights in the pit I use to Stay up Sunday (didn't want to waist part of my weekend)

So Get up Sunday Morning go to Work at 11pm get 3-4hrs a day Monday to Thursday. Maybe 1 or 2 friday, depending what was happend before crashing heavily friday night...

It took it's toll. I constantly felt like crap and if I didn't go for a ride when i got up I felt even crapper.

When I moved through to Arvo it took about a month to get back into a proper sleep partern and suddenly I felt like super man. Worked out I was getting 24hrs extra sleep a week....
Which was great for my health but suddenly I had 24hr less a week to ride or get things done

Studies have shown that sleep deprivation is accumulative and missing just 1 hr a night takes its toll on concentration (I think it was 1hr a day for 7 days had a similar effect to being 0.05 blood alcohol level)

And the boss use to wander why more machinery got damaged on night shift...

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
One of the guys I use to work with was happy with 1 or 2 hrs a night but once a month he'd get home friday morning and go to bed a 9am and wake up Sunday night for work.

warrior

Likes Dirt
I can usualy get 8 hours a night on week nights. I'd like to thank full time uni for that. On weekends i work in a pub/club so friday and saturday nights my sleeeping pattern is pretty messed up. Makes it hard on sunday because i have to force myself to sleep. 1st weekend of work i didn't sleep for nearly 40 hours, this included a shift at work, dh session, drive back home, a party, drive back to uni and reversing into a 4wd :p

On another note: I always find myself to be tired. Even throughout the week when i get 7-8 hours per night. I always wake up feeling like shit, never feel recharged or refreshed. Is this just the usual thing?

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
Relevant dig......

For the past few years I've had the typical teenage laziness ie. sleep in whenever possible, for as long as possible, alarm doesn't do much good. Late nights & early starts, struggling to stay awake & focused when at Tafe, come home exhausted.

It's the weirdest thing. Past three nights, gone to bed at ~midnight, waking at 6:30 - before or even without my alarm, I'm not tired, and I can spend 9hrs a day at Tafe and still remain focused. I feel awesome, even at the end of my day.

The only thing that's changed is I made an attempt to wake myself up in the morning by putting my alarm clock on the other side of the room, so I actually have to get up to turn it off. It didn't even work, because the first 2 nights I did it, I woke up before the alarm anyway, and today I actually forgot to turn it on, and I still woke up around the same time.

Sub-consciously waking myself up or something? Still doesn't explain why I'm suddenly not tired anymore.....

Thoughts?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because when an alarm wakes you up from REM or whatever that deep sleep is called it messes with your head. Since schoolies last year I don't think I have actually gone to bed before 2 or so, then 7 30 starts makes it painful. But whatever, I pimp coffee for a living so that makes it all better.:)

Ben Hopkins

Cannon Fodder
Is this true?

I heard of someone that, in the military they train people to be able to sleep for 15mins and hour, this allow them to keep going all day and night?
Not sure how long you can sustain this sleeping pattern though.
Ben

Matt H

Eats Squid
I heard of someone that, in the military they train people to be able to sleep for 15mins and hour, this allow them to keep going all day and night?
Not sure how long you can sustain this sleeping pattern though.
Ben
I have heard of a similar thing where you have small amounts of sleep, say, five or six times a day. It takes about a fortnight or so before you stop feeling like absolute shit though. The exact name of it evades me though...

dirtrider_

Likes Dirt
Normally during school week, 9-10 hours :)
Weekends no less than 12.
after an adventure race (AROC) last week I got up to 15 and a half hours :D