Snakes

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'm jsut going to tkae the smaller number for my sanity. Now someone answer the other bloke and tell us how long we have to live?

easy. you move, you die.

get bitten on your own, bandage without moving leg and call for help. that would not be easy.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
my cousin who is a nurse in far east victoria was telling me it's been a bad year for tiger snakes already, she's seen three people die in hospital.
I thought there had only been 1 or 2 deaths from tiger snake bites Australia wide since the introduction of anti-venom and improved first aid treatment in the 80s, though haven't seen stats from this year.

While the potential is there we really do play the danger up a lot. Most "deadly" lists place 8 or 9 Australian snakes in the top 10. The saw scale viper doesn't get into the top 50 yet is responsible for the most deaths per year and on a per capita basis kills more people than all the "top 10" Australia snake put together. Awareness, first aid and medical know how helps but also our snakes tend to like to be left alone, don't step on them or try and pick them up and generally you wont get bitten.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yeah, our snakes rate highly because their venom is insanely toxic & the "danger" is calculated on how many people could theoretically die from the venom in one bite. Thankfully for us they try not to use it that often.

Does anyone know what sort of time you would have in a snake bite? I often ride alone deep in the bush of the Northern beaches of Sydney, so red bellies would be the most common venomous snake. Say I get bitten in the rare case, I wrap it up well how long would I have?
I was thinking how long it would take for me to get out or someone to get me.
I don't know the time you have, but the thing going in your favour, relatively speaking, is the fact that your local snakeys are Blacks. They're one of the species least prone to bite, and if they do get narked enough to do so, the venom is relatively mild compared to Browns, Tigers, Taipans & the like. It'll still make you bloody crook, could make you dead, but it gives you more time up your sleeve with proper treatment.

Last edited:

will2

Likes Dirt
I don't know the time you have, but the thing going in your favour, relatively speaking, is the fact that your local snakeys are Blacks. They're one of the species least prone to bite, and if they do get narked enough to do so, the venom is relatively mild compared to Browns, Tigers, Taipans & the like. It'll still make you bloody crook, could make you dead, but it gives you more time up your sleeve with proper treatment.
Hence my general disregard to getting bitten, they just toodle off and are visible from space when lying on a trail.

Has anyone actually ever been bitten by a venomous snake here? Even a non-venomous snake would make me shit myself.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Hence my general disregard to getting bitten, they just toodle off and are visible from space when lying on a trail.

Has anyone actually ever been bitten by a venomous snake here? Even a non-venomous snake would make me shit myself.
Kingie (Don't know if he's on here any more) got tagged by a red belly last year. No sense of smell for a while not sure what other complications he had.

Former MTBA pres Tony Scott got hit by a Brown. He recovered OK, not sure about the snake

oriion

Likes Dirt
I was bitten by a brown in armidale a few years ago - lucky my dogs were with me, they ran back to the entry point and alerted for help whilst I bandaged my leg and didn't move.

Not the most pleasant experience i've ever had, but if you are riding alone, be prepared. Was also no mobile reception either where i was bitten. so thank god for the dogs.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Bonus awesome excellent Blindsnake Ramphotyphlops nigrescens on the trail the other night...300mmx6mm in size. thanks to Piker for definitive identification.

Fairly dodgy vid sorry, little fella was freaking.

[video][/video]

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Love snakes, took this photo with an iPhone (yes, was close...he was very lethargic):

I think I posted this shot earlier in this thread (can't be arsed looking):

He was a *big* red-belly. Really big. Also dopey.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Soft mate, you need to do a selfie with the said snake.

Does Bruce still hang around youies? Has he woken up yet? I've never actually seen him but the photos of him here are pretty epic.

nakedape

Likes Dirt

Yes - parasuta spectabilus got me, venomous but not dangerous. But, they have the nasty habit of looking almost exactly like a baby brown snake - treated it as such too, till we got a positive ID (WHICH was easy enough given that we were on a research trip with our very own herpatologist).

You really should pack a snake kit in your pack - and know how to use it. One bloke was kept alive in remote area after being bit by a king Brown for over 8 hrs till help arrived. Another nearly died when he took his bandage off prematurely. They will save your arse!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Soft mate, you need to do a selfie with the said snake.

Does Bruce still hang around youies? Has he woken up yet? I've never actually seen him but the photos of him here are pretty epic.
I was there today and kept my eye out for Bruce. I think he is shacked up with Nancy and Lou Lou at the top of Rockwells. Last time I saw him- we heard him before we saw him. He was hissing at us to move on so he could cross the road. Huge balls has Bruce

Ideate

This guy.. *:wacko:

[video=youtube;avtZJKydB-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtZJKydB-E[/video]