Spear Fishing.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt

1100 midhandle, neptonics handle skeleton and riffe mechanism. thinking of chucking an 8mm threaded shaft and pranger on it

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Nice one Joel O. Sweet looking gun you've got there.

What wood did you use, and what process did you use to finish/seal it? (the wood that is)

Did you make it from your own design, or did you follow some sort of instructions?

Hope it brings you some nice fish, Shorerider.

which forum. probably gonna go 8mm, 7.5 minimum. 7's don't hit hard enough for my liking
how long is the gun?
I have a 1.2 rob allen with a 7mm.
I'll PM you his detail :)

EDIT: Just saw it's a 1.1. Personally I think it's too small for a 8mm spear but it's entirely up to you :)

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wouldn't use an 8mm straight shaft, with a pranger/cluster head though you need a bit of extra weight behind it to drive the 6 points in where a straight shaft you only need to push 1 point through.

wood is just tassie oak, sticking with cheaper stuff until i'm confident enough to take to something a bit nicer with the power tools. just sealed with a few coats of polyurethane based floor sealer. not ideal but i will most likely decide i want something different before the water gets to it anyway. as for design i had a few ideas in my head but essentially just made it up as i went along.

i have a 1.2 RA with 7.5mm shaft aswell but wanted to have a play with a midhandle gun. can't use that shaft without modifying it though because the sear in the mechanism is different.

Last edited:

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
went out today, got cleaned up by a set of freak waves and lost 2 guns, camera and housing, weight belt, knife as well as snapped a carbon fin. one of the guns also had a brand new reel on it, first time i'd used it!

all up a little over $2k worth of gear gone in about 5 seconds. got washed over the rocks twice and surprisingly little damage to my spetton suit.

searched for about 2 hours but didn't find a thing.

anyone around batemans bay, theres a bunch of nice gear somewhere off the rocks at denhams beach, straight in front of the track down the cliff.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Fark me Joel!!:eek: I hope you didn't get too banged up. Must have been some nasty waves.

And to think I was having a winge only a few posts back, about loosing my mask and snorkel.:eek:

Maybe put up some flyers in the area about your lost gear. You never know, someone may find it washed ashore.

Goodluck, Shorerider.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
that sucks, alot of that stuff wash's up, is the camera housing a bouyent one? or a sinking case? if that makes sense.

it woul dbe much worth putting up heaps of flyers, evening paying a 500 dollar reward, still better then buying 2k worth of new shit!!!

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Spearfishing update.

It's been a while so I thought I'd post up an update on my Spearfishing.

I've found a spot which makes Port Phillip Bay look like a backyard pond with no water in it, in comparison. Lots of fish life, and sizable ones at that :D. I've been diving most weekends and will be going again this Monday (Interested Sawtell?).

One thing is certain, I've been riding a lot less :(. When I do ride I feel so slow and unfit. Mountain biking is such an all over workout compared to diving.

JoelO, did you end up getting any of your lost gear back? I would hope to think that some people are still honest.

I've included a couple of snaps of my catch so far. Sorry about the quality, they are from my phone. But you get the idea.

The pic on the left is of Two female Wrasse (top), and one male Blue Throat Wrasse (bottom). The male was 40cm, and just under 1.3kg.

The pic on the right is (from left to right) of a Sweep, two Leather Jackets and a Blue spotted Goat fish (Red Mullet).

Oh by the way JoelO here's an interesting story for you. I went diving with a fellow spearfisherman who had bought the exact gun I almost bought from Ebay. And low and behold it broke (the steel bridal broke in two) within 20 minutes of entering the water. No wonder the pic on the listing is from a distance. What a piece of rubbish. He now has the exact gun I have! Thanks for $$$aving me money.

I cant wait for summer.

Cheers, Shorerider.

Attachments

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
there soem good sized leatheries!! i di hear the red mullet are out atm.

thanks for the offer, but i have bloody work (i was a fuckign idiot to tell work i was on uni holidays!!!!)

is this place in PB, or is it out ocean way?

its pretty rare to get good sized wrasse any where except for fukin marine sancturaies aka popes eye

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Yeah, the big L/Jacket was a monnster. At least 40cm. The smaller one I shot on my way back in. The only reason I shot it, was to unload my gun (in a productive way). Although it was still a decent size!!!

It's ocean side, but in a sheltered area. So when it's rough, it's still reasonably calm, if you know what I mean.

If you're keen Sawtell, PM me your moblie number and I'll let you know when we're heading out there next.:D

Cheers, Shorerider.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
unfortunately no, didn't get any of the gear back. never really expected to. wasn't easily identifiable as belonging to me, i'd hazard a guess that most spearos in the area aren't on any of the forums and it was near enough to the clyde river that it could be just about anywhere within a few days.

trying to sort out a good deal on a century handle edge at the moment to replace the RA. also hoping to get down this weekend, pick up a couple of abs and crays and spend some serious time searching for jewies up in the wash.

on another note, in 10 weeks i'll be off to bali to target some serious pelagics :D

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 weeks and i'll be on my way to dive indo, can't farkin wait. got 3 full days guided boat diving booked with cyrus from adventureindo.com and will hopefully get out for a few more days either from the shore or on local boats. also picking up an Andre 145 gold series gun while i'm over there.

pretty much replaced all my lost gear now, bought a 90cm edge with merou handle and got a 110cm the same on the way. can't wait for summer and some warmer water and bigger fish.

anybody gotten out lately, any fish? got out a few weeks ago near ulladulla, plenty of mowies, drummer, goaties, luderick etc around, all good size. didn't take anything, just happy to be back in the water. did come across quite a few PJ sharks though.

Edit: didn't see the photos above last time, thats a decent sized goaty!

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Hey there Joel,

It's good to hear you've got some new gear, and that you are still in the water.

You're right about the cold water. I've still been diving most weekends all through Winter, but it's hard to find the motivation when its so dam cold.

Sounds like an awesome trip you've got planned. I'd love to do something like that. I'm most likely going to Port Douglas at the start of next year. I might see if I can get the ok from the misses :eek: to bring my gun.

Shot a 1.8kg Cuttle fish a few weeks back which was pretty cool. They are an amazing creature. It changed to this really striking "Camo/Scary" color after I shot it. It tasted great too!!!!!

Did you log your Shark sightings here?

If not, please do.:)

Cheers, and have a safe trip mate, Shorerider.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah been logging most sightings, still can't wait until i actually have something worthwhile to log...

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
I've only ever seen Swell sharks and Banjo sharks down here. Although, unlike you, I'm more than happy to keep it that way!!!!!:D

Cheers, Shorerider.

Joel O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well, picked up my new gun from andre's shop last week and am super stoked with it. very well finished, few nice little touches. once i got it in the water i was even more impressed. gun is really well balanced and feels great in hand. straight from the shop it fired straight and true. couldn't be happier with it.

as for the diving, more of the same. first day out of bali, only my 3rd dive in 9 months, about 30m vis, water temp i'd guess about 25 degrees. not a huge amount of fish around but i was just stoked to be in the water after a long and fairly cold winter. few doggies around but all at 30m+ i was diving with a 20m rigline so had no hope. not that i'd have much hope of getting down that deep AND getting a shot off anyway. the day finished up with our guide picking up a cobia around 25kg.

next dive was out of north bali at the FAD's, prefect conditions, slightly warmer water, around 40m vis in places and plenty of fish life around. we were there really early in the season but just about everyone managed to pick up at least one mahi mahi which were barbecued in the village for us that night. awesome day. pics to come when i get home in a couple of weeks.

can't wait to dive abck home again this summer

skivi

Likes Dirt
i've been a life long angler but this summer a friend and i are getting into spearfishing after he bough a gun in a spur of the moment thing a few months ago, we'll confine ourselves to the bay where we live (beaumaris, sandy, half moon wherever else is good) at first and see how we go.

any tips for a novice with only experience in snorkelling and angling (fresh and salt water)?

anyone watch "spearing the menu" on Channel 31 Sundays 9:30pm? i'm really enjoying it.

skivi

Likes Dirt
thanks man, that last link had details of a reef 10 minutes walk from my house on the bay!

on rare occasions i've seen fisho's drop a line down there at night when a big gutter forms on the incoming tide but i've always thought they were just muppets, looks like i'll have to get some swimming buddies and check out the reef, could be promising and awfully convenient, there's 2 big marine sanctuaries and a sheltered oyster farm within a kilometre of this spot, may have fish wandering from these havens to the reef.

Shorerider

Likes Dirt
Spearfishing is an addictive sport/activity. I'd been a lino, like yourself, for years. But now, I'd much rather go Spearfishing.

If you're going to get a gun, I'd suggest you buy something decent. Just read the start of this thread, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I've been Spearing for almost a year now, and my gun hasn't missed a beat.

You'll also need a few other things too:

Dive knife - To kill the fish once speared (More humane to kill a fish quickly).

Float with flag and float line - The float line is a 10-20m length of Nylon rope which attaches to the gun handle at one end, and the float at the other. The float is usually a fluro orange footy sized float, with a blue/white "Diver in area" warning flag for boaters and other marine craft.

Because the gun attaches to the float, you dont have to worry if you accidentely drop your gun. Just find your float, and your gun will be at the other end.

Wetsuit - Helps to keep you warm, especially in winter. You'll even need to wear one in Summer for dives longer than a few hours. Besides you wont have to wear sunscreen in a wettie.

I've bought heaps from here: http://www.legendary.com.au/index.php

Learn as much as you can, and enjoy.

Joel, if your listening, I've just finished making my first "Custom" Float line. Clear PVC tube, Dyneema inner, and Stainless fittings at both ends. It came out a treat. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it performs. Where are the pics of your trip???

Cheers, Shorerider.

Last edited: