Speeding is bad, mmkay?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
nah, right lane is for driving in, nothing more. it's courteous to move on over if someone wants to get past, but definitely not mandatory. if I see some dick in my mirror screaming up at 20+ over, I'll throw my slow banged up Ute right in front of them just like stirk there, good luck pushing me out the way, I'll give as good as I get.

the road isn't your playground boys, people use it for getting from one place to another and generally prefer to make it there alive. I've got a family that I don't want endangered by fuckwittery, and I've pulled a few knobs out of twisted and bent cars - you don't have the right to drive however you want on roads shared by everyone.

(yes, I've been a dickhead on the road in the past too, doesn't mean I have to like it now)
You make it your playground when you're in the right lane slowing people down slowing people down on purpose though. May not be mandatory, but how hard is to move into the left lane in your slow banged up ute... I do. Courtesy goes both ways.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
In a situation with an overtaking lane (the ones that run for a couple of keys before going back to one lane) I'll stay left and keep the peace, that's different. But if your driving up the Monash at 120, I'll stick my considerable girth right in front of you. It's not to wind you up, it's my little way of saying "settle down dickhead" because I clearly can't have a quiet chat with you about the merits if driving defensively.

Despite the signs, I'm still pretty sure it's nothing more than a courtesy. I don't think I'll be getting in any trouble with the law for preventing someone from exceeding the speed limit...

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Despite the signs, I'm still pretty sure it's nothing more than a courtesy. I don't think I'll be getting in any trouble with the law for preventing someone from exceeding the speed limit...
No, it's not - it's the law. Yes, it is enforceable with fines. It's not just in areas with signs either - any multi lane road with a speed limit above 80km/h is a keep left unless overtaking zone by default, signs or not.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In a situation with an overtaking lane (the ones that run for a couple of keys before going back to one lane) I'll stay left and keep the peace, that's different. But if your driving up the Monash at 120, I'll stick my considerable girth right in front of you. It's not to wind you up, it's my little way of saying "settle down dickhead" because I clearly can't have a quiet chat with you about the merits if driving defensively.

You cant do that mate, that's definitely just winding people up. Let them through, let them cop the speeding fine.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Which I do, unless holding up Mr dickbag. And I'd be technically overtaking if holding Mr dickbag up too, even if your right I doubt the law says anything about the rate I need to be overtaking to qualify. (I'd like to see more about this law, you have references I take it? I wonder if it applies while the Monash is moving along at 5kph?)

I'll add, before too many boy racers get their knickers in a twist, that this isn't something I do day to day. Most people drive more or less fairly sedately, so I'll stay my slow ass in the middle lane (by slow, I mean sits bang on the speed limit). But on the odd occasion I see Mr dickbag screaming up behind me, I will slow him down if I can. Fuck him ;-)

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight

Keep it up, you might be surprised.... With a fine.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Which I do, unless holding up Mr dickbag. And I'd be technically overtaking if holding Mr dickbag up too, even if your right I doubt the law says anything about the rate I need to be overtaking to qualify.

I'll add, before too many boy racers get their knickers in a twist, that this isn't something I do day to day. Most people drive more or less fairly sedately, so I'll stay my slow ass in the middle lane (by slow, I mean sits bang on the speed limit). But on the odd occasion I see Mr dickbag screaming up behind me, I will slow him down if I can. Fuck him ;-)
Haha, thats a pretty neat attitude ;)

Not everyone's a boy racer getting their knickers in a twist either mate... Its just unnecessary, people like you have too much time on there hands to start messing with others just for your amusement. :bored:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Doubt it ;-)

And if I did, I'd cop it on the chin and learn from the experience. If that's what the law wants to enforce then power to them, pretty sure they'd be more interested in Mr dickbag they just saw speeding and tailgating than with little old me sitting in the right lane slightly longer than I strictly need to be there.

Also, just clearing this up - it's not for my amusement or fun. If that was the case I'd be itching to see more fuckwits screaming around the roads. Nope, seeing Mr boyracer gets MY knickers in a twist and I put my angry pants on, there's nothing enjoyable at all about it. but fuck you Mr boyracer, I'll get in the way of your fun and make you every bit as angry as me ;-)

Last edited:

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doubt it ;-)

And if I did, I'd cop it on the chin and learn from the experience. If that's what the law wants to enforce then power to them, pretty sure they'd be more interested in Mr dickbag they just saw speeding and tailgating than with little old me sitting in the right lane slightly longer than I strictly need to be there.

Also, just clearing this up - it's not for my amusement or fun. If that was the case I'd be itching to see more fuckwits screaming around the roads. Nope, seeing Mr boyracer gets MY knickers in a twist and I put my angry pants on, there's nothing enjoyable at all about it. but fuck you Mr boyracer, I'll get in the way of your fun and make you every bit as angry as me ;-)
You sir, are a menace on the roads...

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Doubt it ;-)

I definitely see your point of view Plankman, and I used to do a similar thing. I still get immensely pissed off with people who use the roads as a racetrack, think they are more important than the rest of us, or just have a blatant disregard for the safety of others.

BUT, and it's a big but (snigger), you will not teach a boy racer a lesson or manners by deliberately blocking them. You will just cause them to behave even more outrageously, thus endangering yourself and others more.

I always try to keep to the left, but if I am overtaking someone I will do it at MY speed, and not be intimidated into speeding by the fuckwit tailgating me.

Which leads me to a LTIH: people who speed up in the left lane when you go to overtake them. WTF???

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Vic law is must keep left when signed or at any speed limit above 80 km's. It's very much the law, although since speed cameras can't book you for it, it doesn't seem to be enforced very often.

I also wont move left for an idiot doing 20-30 over the speed limit, drive the monash daily in the 80 zones, i'll sit 2-3 seconds behond the car in front usually doing slightly more than posted limit, dickhead tailgate me, I wont move out of the right in this situation - I don't have to either is the road is busy. One the open roads, i always stay left unless overtaking.

Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2009 rule 130.
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt6.nsf/DDE300B846EED9C7CA257616000A3571/2A57410F82D46474CA257A2C00192B8A/$FILE/09-94sra006%20authorised.pdf
130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multilane
road if—
(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or
(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.
Notes
1 Length of road and multi-lane road are defined in the dictionary.
2 Part 3 deals with speed-limits.
(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane
unless—
(a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
(b) the driver is overtaking; or
(c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left; or
(d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159; or
(e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or
(f) the traffic in each other lane is congested; or
(g) the traffic in every lane is congested; or
(h) the right lane is a special purpose lane in which the driver, under another provision of these Rules, is permitted to drive; or
(i) there are only 2 marked lanes and the left lane is a slow vehicle turn out lane.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.

scblack

Leucocholic
Which leads me to a LTIH: people who speed up in the left lane when you go to overtake them. WTF???
Yep that shits me too. You sit behind a fool for 5km, and eventually they pull over - but add 5-10kmh in the process. Why didn't you have the balls to add a bit of speed earlier, you goose? Just fuck off now.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
You sir, are a menace on the roads...
no, I'm reacting to people that are a menace on the roads. when was the last time you saw the headline "family killed when failing to overtake quickly on 4 lane road"?

if people move over for dickheads, then they get the idea that we all think it's ok for them to be dickheads. if people hold them up, then they're being given the impression that possibly not everyone condones their fuckwittery. they won't change straight away, but theres half a chance they'll grow up before they kill someone.

I'm not talking about holding up Joe citizen that's flirting with death at 5kph over, I'm talking about knobs that use the roads like a racetrack.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Vic law is must keep left when signed or at any speed limit above 80 km's. It's very much the law, although since speed cameras can't book you for it, it doesn't seem to be enforced very often.

I also wont move left for an idiot doing 20-30 over the speed limit, drive the monash daily in the 80 zones, i'll sit 2-3 seconds behond the car in front usually doing slightly more than posted limit, dickhead tailgate me, I wont move out of the right in this situation - I don't have to either is the road is busy. One the open roads, i always stay left unless overtaking.

Victorian Road Safety Road Rules 2009 rule 130.
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt6.nsf/DDE300B846EED9C7CA257616000A3571/2A57410F82D46474CA257A2C00192B8A/$FILE/09-94sra006%20authorised.pdf
130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multilane
road if—
(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or
(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.
Notes
1 Length of road and multi-lane road are defined in the dictionary.
2 Part 3 deals with speed-limits.
(2) The driver must not drive in the right lane
unless—
(a) the driver is turning right, or making a U-turn from the centre of the road, and is giving a right change of direction signal; or
(b) the driver is overtaking; or
(c) a left lane must turn left sign or left traffic lane arrows apply to any other lane and the driver is not turning left; or
(d) the driver is required to drive in the right lane under rule 159; or
(e) the driver is avoiding an obstruction; or
(f) the traffic in each other lane is congested; or
(g) the traffic in every lane is congested; or
(h) the right lane is a special purpose lane in which the driver, under another provision of these Rules, is permitted to drive; or
(i) there are only 2 marked lanes and the left lane is a slow vehicle turn out lane.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.
thanks mate, good info :)

don't think I'm breaking any laws with the way I do it, reckon I might just continue my reckless, reckless ways :p

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Yep that shits me too. You sit behind a fool for 5km, and eventually they pull over - but add 5-10kmh in the process. Why didn't you have the balls to add a bit of speed earlier, you goose? Just fuck off now.
this is a daily occurrence, bloody annoying since I would have been happy to sit behind them if they were doing the speed limit to begin with. usually a couple of profanities and cranking up some slipknot works wonders for anger issues caused by this situation.

stirk

Burner
Hi Stirk - you are a dick. A self confessed one too

Used to know someone who drove like that - got runoff the road in a road Rage incident
If driving at the speed limit makes you angry enough to run someone off the road you have big issues.

The traffic lights make speeding a futile affair. Anyone who thinks they are gaining anything by speeding in built up areas with traffic lights is a moron.

Flow-Rider

Burner
+1 more for this, gives me the shits as my old Hilux needs to ramped up to speed way before the overtake and all of a sudden they decide to go faster. These people are nothing but Chunts.

stirk

Burner
+1 more for this, gives me the shits as my old Hilux needs to ramped up to speed way before the overtake and all of a sudden they decide to go faster. These people are nothing but Chunts.
People often do this speeding up thing on the highway when an over taking lane is available.

Now that is annoying.