Speeding is bad, mmkay?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
License, double demerits, whoops.

thanks mate, good info :)

don't think I'm breaking any laws with the way I do it, reckon I might just continue my reckless, reckless ways :p
Good info?
How do you, as a licenced driver NOT know this?
When and how did you obtain your drivers licence?

Don't for a second think I'm condoning the clowns speeding, but people who fail to obey the keep left rules even as a courtesy in multi lane roads under the 80km/h are IMHO just as dangerous. The same for folks who sit in the right lane when overtaking but take 15km to actually make the passing move and somehow miss the 4km line of cars sitting behind them.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Good info?
How do you, as a licenced driver NOT know this?
When and how did you obtain your drivers licence?

Don't for a second think I'm condoning the clowns speeding, but people who fail to obey the keep left rules even as a courtesy in multi lane roads under the 80km/h are IMHO just as dangerous. The same for folks who sit in the right lane when overtaking but take 15km to actually make the passing move and somehow miss the 4km line of cars sitting behind them.
you know every single road law? dunno about you, but 15 years ago when I was 18 and going for my license, I had other things on my mind than studying every letter of the law. perhaps I should have taken then time to read up on all this since, maybe all the boyracers have the right of it because I've missed some law that states they can do 20+ over the limit because they want to?

"no officer, I was speeding because I wanted to"
"well that's ok then son, sorry to bother you, I'll go book that fella over there that's taking his time overtaking in the right lane"

boooo having to do the speed limit like the rest of the cattle, booooooooooo

Edit - sorry foxpuppet, that wasn't all for you ;-) and as i said, this isn't something I do day to day, I reserve my special brand of ashore behaviour for a special brand of asshole

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
+1 more for this, gives me the shits as my old Hilux needs to ramped up to speed way before the overtake and all of a sudden they decide to go faster. These people are nothing but Chunts.
I think when you are driving a hilux, that you have to face facts, your not overtaking anyone - always late in a 2.8 :p

my Navara is a speed demon in comparison to my old hilux, but my mum's daewoo lanos will still beat it with 2 of 4 spark plugs missing :-(

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
you know every single road law? dunno about you, but 15 years ago when I was 18 and going for my license, I had other things on my mind than studying every letter of the law. perhaps I should have taken then time to read up on all this since, maybe all the boyracers have the right of it because I've missed some law that states they can do 20+ over the limit because they want to?

"no officer, I was speeding because I wanted to"
"well that's ok then son, sorry to bother you, I'll go book that fella over there that's taking his time overtaking in the right lane"

boooo having to do the speed limit like the rest of the cattle, booooooooooo

Don't confuse police discretion with law, nor make excuses about not knowing the rules. In terms of "knowing every single road law", I'm sure there's technicalities that some of us may not be aware of, but the fact that this particular law is sign posted on every freeway, and most arterial roads in the country, there's no excuse not to know it.

Also, just because a particular law may have lower consequences for being broken, doesn't mean that you have the right to just ignore it either.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Again mate, not breaking the law, just read it and what I'm doing is not in breach so far as I can see. It didn't say anything about making sure I overtake quickly so I don't hold up people that want to drive 20kph over the limit. If I'm slowly moving past the person on the left, and make sure I'm a safe distance past them before moving over, pretty sure I'm still ok.

But you take it however you want, it's really no skin off my nose chief

Minlak

custom titis
Not getting into the debate at all but what are you basing your absolute infallible speed on? For example my Subaru Outback at 110 on the risk is 102 and at 120 is 110.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Gps test shows my Navara is bang on 100 at 100. Slightly worn oversized tyres make the ratio spot on so far as I can tell. I'm sure there's room for error but I doubt I'm off by much. If I somehow manage to get the slow ass thing over 100 by accident I'll slow it back down because I know how bang on it is. But also pretty sure even though speedo tolerance is pretty loose for manufacturers, that's still no excuse for speeding.

Get into the debate, go on, you know you want to ;-)

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Look, in relation to the original post, there is a lesson to be learnt.

Never agree to be the designated driver, just get all sorts of bent and talk shit with your mates. ;)

redbruce

Eats Squid
In a situation with an overtaking lane (the ones that run for a couple of keys before going back to one lane) I'll stay left and keep the peace, that's different. But if your driving up the Monash at 120, I'll stick my considerable girth right in front of you. It's not to wind you up, it's my little way of saying "settle down dickhead" because I clearly can't have a quiet chat with you about the merits if driving defensively.

Despite the signs, I'm still pretty sure it's nothing more than a courtesy. I don't think I'll be getting in any trouble with the law for preventing someone from exceeding the speed limit...

The fact that you clearly don't know the law (wrt lane laws) doesn't give your view much credibility.

I also suspect your view of attitude management ("its my little way of saying "settle down dickhead"..") is most likely to have the opposite effect.

With regard to attitudes, your posts seem to indicate its the pot calling the kettle black.

Last edited:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plankosaurus, despite your repeated rationalisations, you have no right to act as you do. You are not a policeman. You have no rights to enforce your desires, the road rules or anything else on anyone. Noone is denying that speeding can be dangerous. Blocking an overtaking lane is also dangerous as it causes drivers to become irate and possibly attempt dangerous manoeuvres they otherwise wouldn't have had to. Your best course of action is to drive in the left lane at the speed limit and just ignore what everyone else is doing. You seem to think there can only be one dickhead in any given situation, the reality is there can also be two.
How do you know a speeder isn't rushing to a hospital / late for a flight / attending some other genuine emergency? When you get a sherriff's star feel free to become an enforcer, in the mean time you're behaving like a dickhead vigilante.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Again, and again (and again?)

Not breaking any law and momentarily preventing someone from breaking a law is bad because? (a law justified with fact and evidence I'll add, however misguided a view much of the populace has on it)

Sorry we don't see eye to eye, but happy to be called a dickhead if that's the way you see it. Whatever, if a knob becomes even more of a knob, then they would have been a knob without me the second they got to the next car. Won't lose any sleep over 'causing' a knob to behave Like more of a knob by overtaking slower than I strictly need to.

I can't be certain on this because I haven't read as much on road laws as some of you clearly have, but I'm pretty sure rushing to get to a flight isn't a justifiable reason for speeding. If I'm driving a CFA vehicle, I can't do more than 20 over with lights and sirens, and I can't exceed at all around roadworks or school zones regardless of how big an emergency I'm attending. As a vol, I can't speed on route to the station, and if I'm driving minus lights, I can't speed either. Joe blogs late for his plane wouldn't get I look in I'd think.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
And don't you think possibly calling this being a vigilante is a bit of a stretch?

I mean seriously, I'm not playing batman here, I'm driving in an entirely predictable manner to the letter of the law (as stated before)

And fuck, what do you care if I hold up some vin diesel wannabe for an extra 13.2 seconds on the freeway? I'm sure it doesn't affect you since you know and obey the law?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't be certain on this because I haven't read as much on road laws as some of you clearly have, but I'm pretty sure rushing to get to a flight isn't a justifiable reason for speeding.... Joe blogs late for his plane wouldn't get I look in I'd think.
Not saying he'd get a look in with the cops. Just asking who are you to make him miss his plane?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
If you need to get to a plane, leave early

If you need to get to a hospital, call an ambulance (they can begin care when they arrive too, added bonus!)

There's no justification for endangering the lives of those around you by speeding. If you think there is, then you deserve to miss 5 minutes of little johnnies piano recital. Being a little late is always better than someone else missing the rest of their lives.

Ltih - society's tolerance towards speeding and Drink driving. I don't mind people endangering themselves, but it's pretty shit to bring others into it.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Being a little late is always better than someone else missing the rest of their lives.
I don't mind people endangering themselves, but it's pretty shit to bring others into it.
Yep. And when speeding driver swerves to the left and tries to undertake other drivers because someone in a rusty ute is blocking the OVERTAKING lane and causes a massive pile up you'll sleep well knowing it was completely his fault right? Except if you hadn't blocked the lane it would never have happened.

Just drive your own drive and stop interfering with everyone else. Police are employed to enforce laws properly, it's not your concern. Or maybe I should come around and defect your rusty heap of unroadworthy danger because I feel it's my right?

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LTIH: People who like to cut other people down, just because they can...

(Get outta the right hand lane you old rust bucket!)

DeBloot

Feeling old
In the Blue Mountains 80 means do 100, so much speeding as it is hard for the police to set traps. Blaxland and Lawson in the sweet 60 zones seem to be the favorite spots for the police to radar.

I'm one of those pricks who intentionally keep the right lane at the limit by blocking speeders with a car to my left meaning they can't pass me or the car on the left. Heh heh he he.
I hope you're joking, but as you live in the mountains you're probably not
The amount of mobile road blocks that sit in the right lane trying to exert their little bit of control in their life is truly exasperating

Why the fuck do you feel called upon to be the safety monitor
What business is it of yours what speed anyone does
Grow up and get out of the right fucking lane unless overtaking and concentrate on driving your own car

If you're not careful you may find someone who will exert their control by caving your head in
There's a lot of wound up people out there, especially in the mountains
Why do your best to cause trouble where there is none

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hope you're joking, but as you live in the mountains you're probably not
The amount of mobile road blocks that sit in the right lane trying to exert their little bit of control in their life is truly exasperating

Why the fuck do you feel called upon to be the safety monitor
What business is it of yours what speed anyone does
Grow up and get out of the right fucking lane unless overtaking and concentrate on driving your own car

If you're not careful you may find someone who will exert their control by caving your head in
There's a lot of wound up people out there, especially in the mountains
Why do your best to cause trouble where there is none
Well said mate - Thats what I've been trying to get out haha :/