Still not sure about buying from CRC?

sukebe

Likes Dirt
I bought a wheelset off CRC last year. Absolute bargain and less than half of what I would have paid locally (free postage)

It said on the blurb (which I read) that I should have the tension checked after a couple of running in rides, which is what I did.

My guy said that the tensions weren't great - a bit hit and miss
He said I wouldn't want to be hucking off anything with the tensions the way they were.
For the bargain price, I was happy that with a spoke tension I was ready for anything.

Ready to roll in CRC speak means you don't have to put them together yourself. Doesn't mean they'll replace it if you taco the wheel. Like they say - run the wheels in, then get them checked.

Honestly, buying online needs to be undertaken with a due diligence clause.
You're getting a bargain, but with that bargain is the acceptance that it doesn't come with all the benefits of your LBS.

edit. Yeah, maybe it was after one ride. Anyway, the blurb isn't there to wipe your bum on. It's there to read.
I also read the blurb, I am very particular with "the small print" on anything I buy - particularly things I buy online. The wheels never made it through "a couple of rides". My biggest gripe with CRC was not the wheels being poorly built, it was with the inept service I recieved after the fact. Then, when I finally got replacement parts, was provided with "seconds" rims and odd length spokes. This resulted in having to purchase another set of spokes from my LBS to get the things built, negating any savings I made by buying from CRC.

I will buy from CRC again, but it will only be things I consider "low risk" parts as trying to make a warranty claim with them is a process I never wish to go through again (this goes for any online store I guess).

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
Definetely keep buying from CRC as I have been doing for quite sometime.

It's been a while since I walk into a bike shop and today, been a nice day and having a quiet day at the office, I decided to walk into a couple of well known bike shops in Sydney CBD and HOLY F**K!!!! I nearly had a heart at attack after seeing the prices!!! $10K for a standard AM rig and $249 for some shorts??? WTF??? I can keep mentionining more products...

It has been mentioned many times, but it doesn't stop amazing me how expesive cycling products have become in Oz. Shame we can't support the locals......

piggy pie

Likes Bikes
lbs+crc

i agree completely about suporting local stores as much as possible, but the fact is that we will never have the same buying power, no matter what the situation, we just dont have the population to compare.
just a bit curious as to why bike shops dont just purchase a lot of the overpriced items from crc, even with taxes it has to be a lot cheaper

sprocket

Likes Dirt
only issue I have had with crc is my last order with some brake pads, as they didn't send the right ones and were 4 pairs short... emailed them and sent them a pick my order and what the receit said and what the code on the packet said, few hours later got a reply and they express posted the correct ones out and after all that i didnt have to send the wrong ones backk... sweet!!!!

rayza

Likes Dirt
just a bit curious as to why bike shops dont just purchase a lot of the overpriced items from crc, even with taxes it has to be a lot cheaper
distributer/supplier contracts & non existant warranties.. theres more to it than this, but its a fair part of why..

Lilley

Likes Dirt
1) The bike shop would still have to put a markup on the product. So it wouldn't be that much cheaper.
2) They wouldn't gain support from the local supplier
3) They wouldn't be supporting the local supplier who they may have an ongoing relationship with.
4) They would essentially be supporting their competition which would only give CRC more buying power and your local shop less.
5) Their can be issues with cross importing products a supplier has exclusive rights to.

CRC are very hard for local shops (and suppliers) to compete against, they just turnover to much product with lower overheads per item.

Just remember that when you local shop has higher prices then CRC it isn't because they are trying to sting you, it is just what they have to do to make money (which is the purpose of a business unfortunately).

toodles

Wheel size expert
1) Just remember that when you local shop has higher prices then CRC it isn't because they are trying to sting you, it is just what they have to do to make money (which is the purpose of a business unfortunately).
Then what are CRC trying to do? Run a charity?

I've bought Aussie made products cheaper from CRC than from Australian bike shops. Go figure.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Then what are CRC trying to do? Run a charity?

I've bought Aussie made products cheaper from CRC than from Australian bike shops. Go figure.
Exactly it's absolutely ridiculous, tryed to buy Velocity Deep v's got quoted $450 from the lbs, then got quoted $350 including postage from overseas and they're bloody made about 10 minutes drive away from where I live.... :confused:

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
Ordered $500 worth on the 21st of December. They would have been here on the 25th had it not been Xmas day. They were delivered by aus post at 8am on the Tuesday which was the first business day after the break. Made another order last Sunday. Im expecting that order should be here by Friday.

I agree that we need to support LBS but I'm not agree to throw away my hard earned money.

I just bought a brand new DHX 5.0 Air for 200 bucks + $14 shipping through Ebay from Taiwan, that is from the very place where almost all the parts are made. I suppose the guy that sold me the shox got some money from the transaction (probably more than 100% profit). The same part is on a local online website for about AU$800.

About 5 months I also bought through Ebay a brand new 2009 DHX 5 coil from AU$350 this time from US. Here, it was around AU$550.

I also built my DH bike for less than a half of the price of a similar bike here, running full Saint 2009 setup and Mavic wheels. I bought almost everything from CRC without any problem.

Around 6 months ago I was researching about the Saint brakes locally, I friend of mine that works in a LBS gave me a "friend quote" that was what I paid on CRC for a complete set of Saint brakes, shifter, cranks, bottom bracket, and rear derailleur.

Yes, probably the warranty is going to be an issue with some parts, but on the other hand, I can totally destroy some of them and I will be able to replace them up to 3 times for the same price that I would paid here for one.

Yes, this is probably something that is not going to last forever, but meanwhile, it is working for me.

By the way, this also giving me the opportunity to learn about new parts and stuff and also some bike mechanic skills.

Last edited:

delbified

Likes Bikes
the LBS gets the parts cheaper than what you see them for on CRC, so they wouldn't save anything from buying online retail.

they then mark the wholesale price up massively to help pay for shop rent, staff wages, etc. when you buy off online stores, you save money by forgoeing the luxury of a physical shop and someone to talk to in person.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Another thing that must be remembered when comparing OS online store prices Vs LBS... is that often what you are buying is OEM products. That is products that were supposed to be destined for bicycle components for a complete bike.

Ive seen many examples of this lately, where the products come without any packaging, incomplete minus manuals etc... and it's mostly because these items are OEM.

So whilst I'm a big advocate for supporting the LBS and for that matter the Australian distributors also, I'm also fully aware that it's an expensive sport and saving money is important... however just remember that often the prices you are comparing against, is NOT apples and apples.

alexk123

Likes Bikes
I do most of my purchasing from overseas. I compare all my prices with crc, crc hasnt once compared to the prices. Ive picked up great deals on alot of my bike parts what crc cannot match. Its fair to say crc are a good online store but there are many others out there.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
the LBS gets the parts cheaper than what you see them for on CRC, so they wouldn't save anything from buying online retail.
Not entirely true - I bought a set of Shimano XT cranks (FC-M770) for $180 from CRC. My regular bike shop said he couldn't buy them from Shimano Australia that cheaply - he'd have to order multiple sets to get the price down to $230.

The LBS is being held to ransom by the local distributors.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Not entirely true - I bought a set of Shimano XT cranks (FC-M770) for $180 from CRC. My regular bike shop said he couldn't buy them from Shimano Australia that cheaply - he'd have to order multiple sets to get the price down to $230.

The LBS is being held to ransom by the local distributors.
This can sometimes be, because the local distributor is NOT selling OEM products, rather full retail after market prices, which are vastly different prices.

There have been at least one online store in recent times who have had to change their practices because of this.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Couldn't agree more....

BTW, just saw this article in pinkbike today:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Chain-Reaction-Cycle-25-Years-2010.html
er... that would be the entire reason for this thread :) (see 1st post)

things is, I wouldn't know numbers, but CRC is pretty big, big enough to order in batches big enough to compete with manufatures and get teh OEM prices, probably buy more at a time than the Australian distibuter. Volume is where the buying power is... and Australia just doen't ahve it.

(don't quote me on that, its just a hypothesis)

m0ntague

Likes Dirt
Wow, I thought CRC was big but that's incredible. Their great to order from and the free postage on expensive orders is especially good for keeping the extra costs down. I'm waiting on 2 orders from them at the moment.:D

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
er... that would be the entire reason for this thread :) (see 1st post)

things is, I wouldn't know numbers, but CRC is pretty big, big enough to order in batches big enough to compete with manufatures and get teh OEM prices, probably buy more at a time than the Australian distibuter. Volume is where the buying power is... and Australia just doen't ahve it.

(don't quote me on that, its just a hypothesis)
Yes you could be right... however this makes for an unfair playing field. You see OEM prices (and equipment) is supposed to be only provided from manufacturers for the purpose of building bikes... not selling the stuff in parts.
I need to add here, that I'm not suggesting CRC necessarily participate in this practice... merely that is does occur.

Last edited: