Still not sure about buying from CRC?

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Only problem was when I needed some things in a hurry and 1 of the items was not in stock out of about 5 items. They then hold the whole order until the other part arrives which was close to 2 weeks for a shirt from memory. Trying to get through on the phone or email was a bit trying but got there in the end, asked them to cancel the shirt, then the stuff shipped and was in Aus in about 5 days.

hey, i just ordered a custom wheel the other day and i was just wondering if anyone knows roughly how long it would take to arrive, and i presume with it being christmas time and all it will probly take a bit longer?

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Had no problems with them, until I needed to make a warranty claim. Bought a set of Hope Hoops which were advertised as "ready to roll straight from the box". Having never bought non shop-fitted wheels before, I believed them. I pretzeled the front wheel on the second ride due to low spoke tension.

CRC claimed it was crash damage and refused any kind of warranty claim. They offered new rims and spokes at a slight discount as a show of "good will". From sending the first email to recieving replacement parts took 3 months and over 20 emails to incompetent service staff. I was very patient throughout the ordeal and really felt they were deliberately making things difficult in the hope that I would just go away and stop bothering them.

When I finally got the new parts, I took them to my LBS to have the wheels built again only to find that the rims provided were clearly seconds (several points of cosmetic damage, still serviceable but not sellable as "firsts" stock) and the spokes provided were in 4 different lengths. Having gone through such pain to get those parts I could not be bothered trying to deal with them again. I ended up spending a total of around $850 and a lot of time and frustration on the wheelset, which originally cost $450.

Have not had any issue with other parts I have bought from them (but have not had to make any claims either).

Lessons learned:

1. Either dont buy wheels from CRC, or if you do, take them straight to a professional wheel builder and have them rebuilt or at least dished and tensioned. Bit of a newbie lesson for me regarding wheels.

2. Understand that the savings you get are coupled with incompetent after sales service if anything goes wrong.

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
just got my helmet from jenson. 5 days from usa, $200 extra saved in my pocket, and not some impoters pocket with a flasher car, house and bike(s) than me.

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
I have built up 4 frames through chain reaction and their pricing and service are along the best of the internet sellers, I have saved thousands from buying from overseas compared to buying in aust. Sad but true, if the local bike shops were interested in offering their gear for a more decent price and their suppliers and the taxman weren't in it for the money, i would not be buying from overseas. I think that the free postage is a high in comparision to other companies but the components are cheaper than most and the postage added still makes it cheaper.

WasabiJim

Likes Bikes
i give CRC a big tick, bit too afraid look at how much i've spent with them however...

had 3 sets of greats wheels. sold one a year later for exactly what i payed for it. forks, bars, stems, 2 steel ht frames... its like bunnings for bikes!

but you have to really know your stuff, i've got a few things the wrong size or fit like seat clamps, break mounts and there's not much you can do about it...

sukebe

Likes Dirt
+1.

I suppose they could have taken your word for it...
I understand your point, but I had several people look at the wheel here, I explained the situation in which it happened, and all agreed that the only explanation was that it was due to a poor build/poor spoke tension. I have no reason to lie to my LBS about what happened, but CRC were not willing to accept the truth.

rayza

Likes Dirt
I understand your point, but I had several people look at the wheel here, I explained the situation in which it happened, and all agreed that the only explanation was that it was due to a poor build/poor spoke tension. I have no reason to lie to my LBS about what happened, but CRC were not willing to accept the truth.
CRC wheels come with warning notes to re-tension the spokes after first ride...

DeBloot

Feeling old
I bought a wheelset off CRC last year. Absolute bargain and less than half of what I would have paid locally (free postage)

It said on the blurb (which I read) that I should have the tension checked after a couple of running in rides, which is what I did.

My guy said that the tensions weren't great - a bit hit and miss
He said I wouldn't want to be hucking off anything with the tensions the way they were.
For the bargain price, I was happy that with a spoke tension I was ready for anything.

Ready to roll in CRC speak means you don't have to put them together yourself. Doesn't mean they'll replace it if you taco the wheel. Like they say - run the wheels in, then get them checked.

Honestly, buying online needs to be undertaken with a due diligence clause.
You're getting a bargain, but with that bargain is the acceptance that it doesn't come with all the benefits of your LBS.

edit. Yeah, maybe it was after one ride. Anyway, the blurb isn't there to wipe your bum on. It's there to read.

Last edited:

dr_rob

Likes Dirt
I've been happy with my four orders. Only time they stuffed up was a bizarre 9-speed cassette that came without the 15t, but had two lockrings. I have my dream bike (in parts) in my virtual basket, and I just buy bits as the money comes in and I get the the magic $450 mark.

I just have to remember to measure-twice, purchase once!

On that note, I don't suppose anyone wants a Thomson 90mm stem, just arrived? I'll list it in the Parts section for sale shortly...:eek:

Autumn_Leaves

Likes Dirt
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! The reason that you get stuff cheper over there is that they are part of the EU bike comunity. Our Scene is only like 2% of the global bike ind.
If people contiue to buy of the net, instead of supporting there LBS our own bike ind will never have the same buying power. So will never be able to match there pricing.
As for the wheels a good wheel builder allways detensions and re-trues there wheels, negating the need to have them re-tensioned after a couple of rides. A good wheelbuilders wheels stay true, re you get what you pay for.

rayza

Likes Dirt
If people contiue to buy of the net, instead of supporting there LBS our own bike ind will never have the same buying power. So will never be able to match there pricing.
i agree completely about suporting local stores as much as possible, but the fact is that we will never have the same buying power, no matter what the situation, we just dont have the population to compare.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Agreed, as much as we should all contribute to out LBS to keep what ever value we have intact. The fact remains that we will never have the buying power of places like the US and the EU. Population and isolation alone dictates that.

That being said the cost savings that we are seeing from the good dollar at the moment can just as easily be replaced with a higher cost to value model year as seen with the 09 model run of bikes and gear. All we are seeing at the moment is the perceived benefit as the AUD is doing well against others. This won't be ever lasting.

Loud

Squid
Pick and Choose

Agreed, as much as we should all contribute to out LBS to keep what ever value we have intact. The fact remains that we will never have the buying power of places like the US and the EU. Population and isolation alone dictates that.

That being said the cost savings that we are seeing from the good dollar at the moment can just as easily be replaced with a higher cost to value model year as seen with the 09 model run of bikes and gear. All we are seeing at the moment is the perceived benefit as the AUD is doing well against others. This won't be ever lasting.
The 2009 Mavic Crossmax ST's are on special right now so I placed an order.

I'm a huge fan of my LBS. No probs giving them the business, but sometimes the cost difference is too big to ignore. I pretty sure my LBS isn't making squillions of dollars. The cost of doing business in Australia, with it's relatively small market, means local prices will be higher, and CRC is very attractive.

I figure that if 10% of what I buy gives me problems, then I'm still ahead because the savings are about 20% on local cost for the items I'm after.

Pick and choose your seller, be it ebay, LBS or CRC. In all cases buyer beware.