Sydney siege

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Lol, now I look like a progressive moderate. ;)

IS are getting their wishes though,calling for lone martyrs and getting them - almost impossible for the security forces to fight and investigate - the detail will be interesting

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Any update on those bomb threats in George St and Circular Quay? No articles I've read really go any further than just mentioning them in the demands and leave it at that.

scblack

Leucocholic
Self radicalised, lowly qualified, known to police already, probably has gone through an event such as a divorce or job loss in recent past.

I'll put 10 internet cool guy points on that being the basic identity of the foo running this shit show.
Internet cool guy points earned! Right on the mark.

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
The guy had serious mental issues. That's it.

He has also practiced black magic in the past, that's not part of Islam and neither are most of the unlawful acts he committed before today.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm not even going to click on it.

I'm done with the Sydney Morning Herald. I mean, as SCB indicated a few posts back, their level of journalism had sunk to horrible lows when they became largely tabloidesque and the home of clickbait.

However they way they have managed themselves over the last two days - revealing the attacker's demands and silly shit like the above - means that I'm not even going to provide them the clicks of checking headlines, as I'd still done up until last night.

Hopefully other people will do the same and they'll change or die out. My faith in the average news reader doesn't fill me with optimism, though.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You need to stop talking shit like this or I will ban you from this website.

I am not stopping free speech here I am stopping hate speech because you are flat out wrong.

Islam has many different versions and you are talking about it if it is one thing and there is no difference between Shiites, Sunnis, Bahais, Sufis, Ahmadiyahs, etc. I bet you don't even know what those words mean.

There are well over 1 billion Muslims in this world and you have just said they are all the same and think and act the same. That's about as stupid as saying that all Australians are the same and act the same - clearly that is bullshit.

I don't mind if you have strong opinions based on fact but when you start talking absolute shit that maligns hundreds of millions of people you indicate you are not going to be welcome here. Give it a miss or leave.
Lets make a positive out of this and talk about the religion itself so people do understand about it. I agree with you its not right to condemn all Muslims because of the actions of a few.

Most religions have devote followers and then you get the ones that believe in religion but not follow it down to a tee. Some have basic beliefs but it wouldn't bother them if their kids or friends done some simple things that opposed their religion where others would act differently and punish them. Say for one example Catholics don't eat meat on good Friday some do this some don't. The basic Muslim religion from what I understand of it and if any Muslim here can correct me because Im not an expert on it but it derives from two main sub groups Sunni and Shia which there has been much conflict over these groups because one thinks they are more right or (pure) than the other. No different from Catholics, Christians and Jehovah witness many wars have stemmed from religion.

I know a few Muslims and 1 I know for fact that the wealthier ones send their kids overseas for a better understanding of their religion. 2 I have mates that have been to war Iraq and if you think a lot of the things I have said are untrue I suggest you pack your bags and kids take some alcohol with you make your wife wear a bikini and see what happens to you.

I don't want people to harm any humans of any religion, Im totally against killing and any war. look at countries like Turkey where many of the religions co-exist together without problems Just be open minded and aware that there are people that are strong minded in their beliefs. If you want to ban me let it be ....

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
*grabs the popcorn*

Based on what I've seen of a few people's postings around here... I think there are a few comments in there likely to raise the hackles of a few people with experience that they don't often talk about...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yes it's a click the story because of the headline moment - the story is very paternalistic from an Americans view.

Fucking insult to New Yorkers I'd say.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Yes it's a click the story because of the headline moment - the story is very paternalistic from an Americans view.

Fucking insult to New Yorkers I'd say.
And bloody ignorant on the part of the "journalist" IMO ... the way it reads is as though we've just been living in an eternally peacefull bliss down here in "sweet old aus" and this is the first time we've seen anything bad happen on our shores. To read that article, you'd think the terrorists have "won" and Aussies should now be expected to live in fear.. Fuck that.

Flow-Rider

Burner
*grabs the popcorn*

Based on what I've seen of a few people's postings around here... I think there are a few comments in there likely to raise the hackles of a few people with experience that they don't often talk about...
That's the whole idea of it, if people understand something more clearly they have less fear of it. Its always good to stop and think of other peoples views even though we may not agree with them at the time.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Im not an expert on it
Honestly, without trying to be patronising or arrogant, you shouldn't form opinions on very complex issues if you don't know a lot about them. There's nothing wrong with ignorance, I know SFA about Hinduism, cardiovascular surgery or astronomy. Thus, I have no opinions on those matters and prefer to ask questions than pass opinions. I'd suggest you should consider doing likewise on this subject.

The basic Muslim religion from what I understand of it and if any Muslim here can correct me because Im not an expert on it but it derives from two main sub groups Sunni and Shia which there has been much conflict over these groups because one thinks they are more right or (pure) than the other.
Sunnism and Shi'ism are two of many Islamic sects, branches, schools, streams, etc. Others are Sufism, Bah'aiism, Ahmadiyahism as well as Salafism, Deobandism, Wahabism and such that are branches of larger sects, etc. What this kind of complexity should suggest to you is that there is great variability in Islam as there is in Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist, Mormons, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.). Where there is such variability it is impossible to make such sweeping generalisations such as "the rich ones....". Secondly, there are over 1.5 billion Muslims, of course there is massive variability and complexity in mindset and behaviour.

I know a few Muslims and 1 I know for fact that the wealthier ones send their kids overseas for a better understanding of their religion. 2 I have mates that have been to war Iraq and if you think a lot of the things I have said are untrue I suggest you pack your bags and kids take some alcohol with you make your wife wear a bikini and see what happens to you.
1. Knowing a few of 1.6 billion doesn't give you a legitimate basis to generalise across hundreds of millions. Even knowing a thousand Muslim families couldn't give you such insight of such a massive group of people. If it's any kind of indication, I know poor Muslims that have still sent their kids to Lebanon for education and rich Muslims that have sent their kids to private secular colleges here and would never dream of sending their kids to the Mid East or Indonesia to a pesantren or anything such. You just can't generalise from the couple of blokes you've met.

2. I've lived in a Muslim country and I've drunk like it was my last day on earth, chased loose women, watched shim shows and laughed at my mates as they've visited brothels after ending the night empty handed. None of us were ever arrested, stoned to death or crucified. Yet in Texas I can't buy spirits after 9pm, I can't buy anything after 2am and I can't buy wine before midday on Sundays. I think you need to spend more time experiencing the world yourself than making wide generalisations based on what a few mates have seen when on deployment in a combat zone.

I don't want people to harm any humans of any religion, Im totally against killing and any war. look at countries like Turkey where many of the religions co-exist together without problems Just be open minded and aware that there are people that are strong minded in their beliefs. If you want to ban me let it be ....
As I said, I won't ban you for discussion, that is fine. I will ban anyone who goes near hate speech, which is what your previous post was far too close to given the negative way you generalised a whole religion.

Flow-Rider

Burner
. Sunnism and Shi'ism are two of many Islamic sects, branches, schools, streams, etc. Others are Sufism, Bah'aiism, Ahmadiyahism as well as Salafism, Deobandism, Wahabism and such that are branches of larger sects, etc. What this kind of complexity should suggest to you is that there is great variability in Islam as there is in Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist, Mormons, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.). Where there is such variability it is impossible to make such sweeping generalisations such as "the rich ones....". Secondly, there are over 1.5 billion Muslims, of course there is massive variability and complexity in mindset and behaviour..
Yes very complex it is, my understanding is that 75–80% of the world's Muslims are Sunni and 15% are Shia, with most Shias belonging to the Twelver tradition and the rest divided between many other groups. It was all one group at one stage and they split. If you think its BS do a search.
2. I've lived in a Muslim country and I've drunk like it was my last day on earth, chased loose women, watched shim shows and laughed at my mates as they've visited brothels after ending the night empty handed. None of us were ever arrested, stoned to death or crucified. Yet in Texas I can't buy spirits after 9pm, I can't buy anything after 2am and I can't buy wine before midday on Sundays. I think you need to spend more time experiencing the world yourself than making wide generalisations based on what a few mates have seen when on deployment in a combat zone...
I was referring to a country where they strictly follow Sharia law where you have a strict following. I also gave an example of Turkey where its not so hard core I know these places exist and there still is a divided tension. The strict followers are the ones where you have to be very careful, The bloke that they are referring to as the gunman actually studied in Asia to become a Cleric. This man must of had friends and family that knew he thought the way he did for so long.

As I said, I won't ban you for discussion, that is fine. I will ban anyone who goes near hate speech, which is what your previous post was far too close to given the negative way you generalised a whole religion.
Understandable didn't really explain myself correctly and didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers. I just think that the religion itself when followed by radicalists can be very dangerous in our culture. Most of the religions we have do not promote death in anyway its more towards preserving life Like (anti abortion and euthanasia) death is expected of natural causes only . I don't think that war conflicts are helping in good way that some Muslims not "all" can interpret the religion to harm other cultures. There are many angles to look at this from and its not all roses like some people think.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I think it's appropriate that I crack a bad joke that I dreamt up whilst doing yoga this morning:
"Each menu in the Lindt Cafe now has some Iranian on it....................."

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yes very complex it is, my understanding is that 75–80% of the world's Muslims are Sunni and 15% are Shia, with most Shias belonging to the Twelver tradition and the rest divided between many other groups. It was all one group at one stage and they split. If you think its BS do a search.
So what's your point? Also, Sunnism isn't monolithic as you have many branches such as Deobandi, Wahabi, etc. etc. And even the people within these branches differ in what they think Islam is and how they act in regards to their beliefs.

I was referring to a country where they strictly follow Sharia law where you have a strict following. I also gave an example of Turkey where its not so hard core I know these places exist and there still is a divided tension. The strict followers are the ones where you have to be very careful, The bloke that they are referring to as the gunman actually studied in Asia to become a Cleric. This man must of had friends and family that knew he thought the way he did for so long.
Yep, there is much variability within Islamic states and countries with majority Islam in their population/ethnicity. Again, not sure what your point actually is here. I think you need to look in to this guy a but deeper, he's not your typical militant, he's more of a nutcase that had been rejected by both the Sunni and Shia communities in Australia and his demands during the siege were not exactly coherent, from what I can tell.

Understandable didn't really explain myself correctly and didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers. I just think that the religion itself when followed by radicalists can be very dangerous in our culture. Most of the religions we have do not promote death in anyway its more towards preserving life Like (anti abortion and euthanasia) death is expected of natural causes only . I don't think that war conflicts are helping in good way that some Muslims not "all" can interpret the religion to harm other cultures. There are many angles to look at this from and its not all roses like some people think.
All religions have their loonies. Can you quote the sections of the Koran (and the source) where it promotes death so I can read it?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I think it's appropriate that I crack a bad joke that I dreamt up whilst doing yoga this morning:
"Each menu in the Lindt Cafe now has some Iranian on it....................."

I would suggest the joke is that you do yoga......

hazza6542

Eats Squid
And bloody ignorant on the part of the "journalist" IMO ... the way it reads is as though we've just been living in an eternally peacefull bliss down here in "sweet old aus" and this is the first time we've seen anything bad happen on our shores. To read that article, you'd think the terrorists have "won" and Aussies should now be expected to live in fear.. Fuck that.
Watching a video about gun control by John Oliver, Americans (generalisation) have no idea about things such as the Port Arthur Massacre. Our biggest concern can't be terrorist attacks when we have things like snakes and spiders about. To finish the article saying again we are behind America because an act of terror just happened is just silly, and comparing just under 3000 deaths (9/11) to the siege just sounds like 'This happened to us first! Remember guys?' Guys think about us again.' Just more fear being pumped into the world, all sorts of silly.

Last edited: