Tharawal-Appin area

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just a quick Q
since motor bikes, 4wds & all public have been banned from entering Appin how come you're allowed in to build mtb trails
as a member of the nsw4wda I've been told that there is no access to this entire area for any one
Motos and 4wds yes, not sure about the 'all public' bit. You're better off emailing WMBC this question. http://www.wmbc.asn.au/about-wmbc/contact-us.html

My understanding is the club has agreements with the appropriate landholders to use the land.

ogjon

Likes Dirt
ok cool thanks for that.
I might try get down to Appin again some time & bring my giant trace x3 with me, I haven't been down that way since 4wd access was banned.
I live up Newcastle area.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
ok cool thanks for that.
I might try get down to Appin again some time & bring my giant trace x3 with me, I haven't been down that way since 4wd access was banned.
I live up Newcastle area.
let us know when you come down and someone can show you around.

when that corner wears in and the berm builds up it will be pretty cool. theres some really interesting features in the new section. but yeah its pretty wet at the moment :(

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Next maintenance day - 19th May, 2012 - 8am in the carpark ready to go

Bring your own tools if possible. I'll try to ge some from WMBC as well.

We might look at doing a bit of rock armouring and drainage work on the 'new' singletrack after Kings Falls Bridge from the firetrail. I'm pretty keen to just walk the whole track with a McLeod and clean out the drainage too. That'll take about the full 4 hours if I can't get it done before this scheduled maintenance.

Or we could make a start on some work along The Lost Trail, which I think is probably the worst section of marked track after some rain. I'll get out there for a look to get some specific sections in mind so we aren't wandering alond in the hopes of finding something to do.

I'm open to suggestions for areas needing work. If you have a section in mind that you think needs some attention maybe take a picture and post it up then turn up on the day to help fix it.

Don't forget sunscreen, gloves and plenty of water.

wilddemon the more I think about that section we looked at for a long time yesterday at the end of the session, the more I think trying the idea of creating a series of platforms is a good one to try. If it doesn't work I think we've can fall back on the reroute or if we can get the materials, build a small boardwalk section from the start of the badly eroded bit to the drain at the bottom, including a berm on that corner. There'd be a lot of work in that but if we could get the materials I'm happy to do it. :)

jhenry

Likes Bikes
Lost trail

I have started a little work on drainage on the way to the Lost Trail, I have left a barrow and shovel just at the entrance on the right just as you Ride under the tree that goes over your head. Feel free to use it if anyone want, I can't always get out on maintanance days due to family life so I'v just been sneaking in when I get a chance.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have started a little work on drainage on the way to the Lost Trail, I have left a barrow and shovel just at the entrance on the right just as you Ride under the tree that goes over your head. Feel free to use it if anyone want, I can't always get out on maintanance days due to family life so I'v just been sneaking in when I get a chance.
I've seen that there on my last two rides to check out the conditions on the Lost Trail. We might use it next Saturday if that's okay? I'll make sure it goes back.

So next Saturday, if anyone can bring a wheel barrow that would be helpful. We'll try to move some rocks around to raise and harden the tread on a few sections of track on the Lost Trail. It might take a bit of work to get the rocks and it's a decent length of trail to be walking a wheel barrow along, so expect a big day. Wear gloves. If anyone has a trailer that attaches to their bike that thy might be able to fit a wheel barrow onto that will make it a lot easier and quicker to get them to the areas we want to work on.

The regular club loop looks to be running okay and the new section if firming up nicely with a bit of use. It should be pretty much done after the Rock Wallaby race goes over it!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Volunteers Week!

From the 14th of May until the 20th of May is Volunteers Week. It's a nice coincidence that the next maintenance day is on the 19th!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Big day planned for this Saturday working on the Lost Trail. The more people we get the more we can do before the Rock Wallaby Enduro, and there are some wet sections that will get pretty messed up without some rock armouring before the race. If anyone is able to bring a wheelbarrow that would be awesome. The major issue is transporting the equipment to the Lost Trail. If you are able to bring a trailer that attaches to your bike that would also be awesome. The trailers can be used to transport the equipment and if willing to help gather rock on the trail. I'll be bringing a wheelbarrow so my trailer doesn't potentially get damaged carrying rocks around.

Desired equipment will be: wheelbarrow, long handle shovel, mattock, gloves, hat, sunscreen.

Normally these days finish around 12pm after starting at 8am. I think I'll be staying for as long as possible to get as much done as I can.

I'm hoping we can either achieve something like this at various points with the trail being guided by large logs. The surface has been hardened with large rocks in this picture as well.

Or something like this type of paving.

armoring_7.jpg

Or worst case, something like this with the smaller rocks and a soil covering.

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Logs

Hey Grant,
there are a couple of reasons not to use logs lining the trail - leaf and dust build up over time creates that cupped trail and then water tracks down the trail causing erosion as it cant sheet off the side of the trail. The other reason is fall zone - even if you're going slow, to fall on grass and roll away is much better than a lump of hardwood. Logs in berms aren't crash hot either but if you're out there without machine they can be useful if big enough, I've put plenty a log in berms thru my days. Hope this hepls - keep up the great work, look forward to riding Appin soon as I am now back on the bike.
Adrian.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The areas that need the armouring are very flat, but the soil is holding water. What I'm noticing at Appin recently is that riders are seeing a rock or root on the trail and going around it. I think the logs or large rocks will unfortunately be necessary to stop people widening the track further after we harden the tread with rock. Ideally I would prefer not to use the logs as well. :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've modified the trailer to carry the wheelbarrow for this weekends track work. It's not pretty, but it should work. The riding will be slow and I could be too tired to do anything once I get to the site!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
must be nice being a shop guy ...

So this is what you did during the teachers' strike
I wish. I was at the meeting. Had the trailer and wheelbarrow at work all day and didn't have time to do anything with it besides cutting the plywood after work. I had to make do with what I had at home for the rest.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fantastic, tiring work on the Lost Trail at Appin this morning. Plenty of rock armouring for the real wet areas and some preliminary drainage cut in. It'll need a bit more work later on but it should make the Rock Wallaby much more enjoyable through those sections that are no longer hub deep, water filled rutts. We got everything done or started that I'd hoped to today.

Thanks to those who turned out. There were two teams and while we worked on the Lost Trail, the other guys have been out putting up some new signage and working on another section of track that is as yet unmarked, but ridden by a few who know it's there.

Regarding the trailer with the wheelbarrow on it, it was hard going! As soon as I lost momentum going uphill it meant pushing and that sometimes required another person to help get the beast up the hill. Sand was fun too, causing much amusement for onlookers waiting for me to fall off, which didn't happen! One of the other volunteers had a go and described it as riding in a stream, you just have to go where it takes you and as soon as you start to wobble hold on for dear life! I can't see the wheelbarrow being towed on the trailer ever again.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Fantastic, tiring work on the Lost Trail at Appin this morning. Plenty of rock armouring for the real wet areas and some preliminary drainage cut in. It'll need a bit more work later on but it should make the Rock Wallaby much more enjoyable through those sections that are no longer hub deep, water filled rutts...
Thanks Crank and helpers! I'll no doubt appreciate your work while I'm bedding it in with the rest of the Rock Wallabiers..

...Regarding the trailer ... I can't see the wheelbarrow being towed on the trailer ever again.

Might it be possible to tow it right way up, with the handles attached to a bike rack?

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No more official maintenance days for a little while! :(

Bad news from the Wollongong MTB Club yesterday. The email that has gone out to members is as follows...

Thank you for all of the messages regarding the Appin Track.

We have been using the track without formal permission from the owners, however Derek has been in contact with them on several occasions discussing the continued use of the track.

We presented a draft agreement to the Tharawal Land Council recently and were under the impression from the CEO that it would be approved. When the agreement was presented to the board it was decided that they would conduct an environmental assessment and advise us of the outcome regarding the use of the track. We have been asked to refrain from holding events until further notice.

We are confident that the council will view our activities as environmentally sustainable and that they approve our continued use.

If anyone has any ideas regarding land available to use for a track please let me know. The club has access to resources, grants and support to fund the construction of a purpose built track.

Regards
WMBC Committee
Messages can be sent to dekka56@optusnet.com.au

I'd urge everyone to send WMBC a message of support. dekka56@optusnet.com.au is the address to use for the club. I'd also suggest sending the Tharawal Local Aborginal Land Council a friendly message as well. Their details are below.

A little further research found this story in todays Illawarra Mercury

'Sneaky' move by Aboriginal Land Council to mine Gong
BEVAN SHIELDS
30 May, 2012 12:00 AM
The NSW Aboriginal Land Council is eyeing off suburban Wollongong for coal seam gas exploration, sparking a showdown with prominent elders and activists.
An application to examine a huge area of land stretching from Primbee in the south to Clifton in the north was lodged by the NSW Aboriginal Land Council in March, NSW Trade and Investment confirmed yesterday.

The proposed site covers densely populated neighbourhoods, vast stretches of coastline and a massive chunk of the environmentally sensitive escarpment.

Chairman of the Illawarra Local Aboriginal Land Council Roy Kennedy blasted the decision as "sneaky" and "offensive".

"This goes against the very grain of who we are, what we stand for and what we have fought for," he said. "We're trying to protect our country and people who should be backing us up want to rip it up."

The application is one of five lodged by the NSW Aboriginal Land Council this year. Its chief executive officer, Geoff Scott, did not return calls yesterday.

In previous statements, he has argued Aborigines deserved to benefit from the mining boom.

"For decades Aboriginal people have gotten little more than scraps from mining activities and this strategy is about Aboriginal people breaking through into the real economy and driving financial benefits back into the land rights network," he said.

Mr Kennedy dismissed that justification.

"This is not the right way to go about helping future generations; all this does is sacrifice our culture and heritage by putting money and mining first," he said.

"We're outraged our very own state body would be acting against our obvious interests."

Of the prospecting applications lodged by the NSW Aboriginal Land Council this year, one covers more than 47,000sq km of land on the Northern Tablelands.

The discovery of that application caused widespread alarm and anger in the community.

Other applications target land near Murwillumbah, White Cliffs and Mudgee.

Even if the Wollongong proposal, known as a Petroleum Special Prospecting Authority, is approved, drilling would not be permitted - at this stage.

The NSW Aboriginal Land Council could use a joint-venture partner to stump up the cash and skills needed to successfully explore the proposed area.

Sharralyn Robinson, chief executive officer of the Illawarra Local Aboriginal Land Council, said the strategy undermined previous battles against unsustainable mining.

"This puts me in a very tricky position because we're funded by our peak body and while I have the utmost respect for them and their history, where this is concerned, I'm really at a total loss," she said.

"I think Geoff's heart and soul might be in the right place, but the question is, at what cost? When are we going to draw the line in the sand and realise it's not all about the money?"

Mr Kennedy and Ms Robinson said the application had been lodged with no local consultation.

Stop CSG Illawarra spokeswoman Jess Moore said she was "shocked" by the latest twist in the coal seam gas debate.

"Leaders of the Illawarra Local Aboriginal Land Council have voiced very strong opposition to coal seam gas in the past so this decision just seems completely out of step with their wishes," she said.

"I think there's obviously merit in the Aboriginal community trying to ensure a future for the next generation, but of the many possibilities, it's sad they feel the path to that is coal seam gas development."
View attachment 236303

While the map doesn't include the area that the Appin XC track uses, I would prefer to prepare for the worst case scenario, and that has me concerned that something similar could be on the cards in this area.

If you would also like to send a friendly message of support for the Wollongong MTB Club and the Appin track to the Tharawal Local Aboriginal Land Council that would be good to show how valuable it is as a resource to a significant number of people.

Contact Tharawal LALC via the details below
Contact Us- reception@tharawal.com.au

Address: PO Box 168
Picton, 2571
NSW
Phone: 02 46810059
Fax: 02 46831375

Administration Staff
Greg Bondar - Chief Executive Officer
Yvonne McGregor - Office Administrator
Dulcine Blair - Events Co-ordinator/Administration
Kay Bussell - Day Care Respite Co-ordinator
Leeanne Wright – Receptionist
Board of Directors
Leo Dynevor - Chairperson
Annette Lamb - Deputy Chair
Eric Stone - Board Member
Glenda Chalker - Board Member
Karen Adams - Board Member
Gavin Andrews - Board Member
Shane Evans - Board Member
Ross Evans - Board Member

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Since the bad news above I haven't organised any maintenance days, because they are done on behalf of WMBC and were 'organised events'. I haven't ridden out there except to remove signage for the club on the 2nd of June, but today I rode my 32km loop. Overall, the track is in okay condition. It needs a bit of work on some sections and some time to dry out.

A local has been out and done a bit of work on the Lost Track, including some drainage and a great little reroute across rock that does away with a bog section. The Lost Track shouldn't be ridden at the moment. Give it a bit more time to dry out.

Other people have been out on the race track and again decided that if they can't ride an A line then the B line that is already there costs them too much time/effort, so they should close that B line off and open a line up that I had closed off because it was faster than the A line. :yell: This is at the section on the second half of the race loop where the track splits to go up the rock face (A line) or goes left around a longer but easier section (B line). In between these two lines was a 'B line'. The line between is meant to be closed! It is a club race track and the B line shouldn't be faster than the A line! :yell:

The other disappointing thing was the new reroute descent that skips the fall line descent was blocked off, making it the less obvious track to take. The new section was in the best condition it's been in since being built. If you'd rather ride a eroded fall line track that won't be receiving any significant maintenance go for it, but don't block the new line off.

Ultimately, unless someone attends an organised maintenance day or has gained permission from the club to modify the tracks they shouldn't be doing it. If you are riding with someone and they want to change something please tell them not to and to contact the club before undoing the work done by/for the club. http://www.wmbc.asn.au/about-wmbc/contact-us.html

aliasg

Likes Bikes
The other disappointing thing was the new reroute descent that skips the fall line descent was blocked off, making it the less obvious track to take. The new section was in the best condition it's been in since being built. If you'd rather ride a eroded fall line track that won't be receiving any significant maintenance go for it, but don't block the new line .
The new section is a great addition.
But I did a lap last weekend, and yeah, I missed the start of it so I missed it :(

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been 4 months since an organised maintenance session so I went out this morning and spent 5 1/2 hours walking the track and mostly tidying up the drains. The track was in pretty good condition but I imagine it'll get very sandy this summer if it stays dry. It's already pretty sandy. I opened up a line we mostly cut in on one of the previous maintenance days and blocked the old line. It doesn't really add or take away anything from the trail, it's just a diversion from an eroded section that I think is beyond saving.

Two highlights from todays work...

The first was a red belly not moving off the trail for about two minutes and then rearing up as I walked past. I may have picked my pace up a little when that happened!

Second was at the very end. I'd just started to drive away when a guy with a moto comes down the dirt road. I turned around and said "g'day mate, do you know it's illegal for you to ride your moto in there?". He got a bit agro and we had a bit of a discussion. I got back in my car to drive off when another mtber stopped me and asked what happened. I told him and being an off duty police officer he had a chat with the guy who then left.

Ivan

Eats Squid
It's been 4 months since an organised maintenance session so I went out this morning and spent 5 1/2 hours walking the track and mostly tidying up the drains. The track was in pretty good condition but I imagine it'll get very sandy this summer if it stays dry. It's already pretty sandy. I opened up a line we mostly cut in on one of the previous maintenance days and blocked the old line. It doesn't really add or take away anything from the trail, it's just a diversion from an eroded section that I think is beyond saving.

Two highlights from todays work...

The first was a red belly not moving off the trail for about two minutes and then rearing up as I walked past. I may have picked my pace up a little when that happened!

Second was at the very end. I'd just started to drive away when a guy with a moto comes down the dirt road. I turned around and said "g'day mate, do you know it's illegal for you to ride your moto in there?". He got a bit agro and we had a bit of a discussion. I got back in my car to drive off when another mtber stopped me and asked what happened. I told him and being an off duty police officer he had a chat with the guy who then left.
I was there at just after lunch time today, and there were lots of Moto's.

The track was feeling dry and fast though :nod: