The 2010 Mont 24 Thread

joeyjoblah

Likes Bikes
My experience was that it was the best year for well-behaved passing ever. I guess rear number plates do make a difference.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
The Bad ...
- Delayed start time and only 23 hours of racing.
The vast majority of people out there recognise the significance of dedicating an hour of this race to someone who has been integral in developing this format across Australia.

To list this as a bad part of the race shows an enormous amount of disrespect.

Jordy

RYD4LF
I did have a guy barge past me, elbows out on a section that he shouldnt have been passing on. called him a dickhead and he mumbled something. then next corner was downhill, Sat on his ass. asked for him to track and got nothing. however he did attempt to go quicker. followed by crashing out and me laughing. he wasnt hurt. but I had quite a chuckle over it

Drew Peacock

Likes Bikes
What a great weekend

I have been attending the Canberra based 24hr events since 2005 and this was the most enjoyable I can remember.

As a 1hr plus a few minutes single speed rider I pass as many slow riders as faster riders pass me and I found the etiquette was superb and the camaraderie top shelf. Hopefully I didn't slow too many people down or scare too many others when I passed. When my bar light battery died during the night, I had every rider who passed asking if I was OK while I was changing out the battery - that was the spirit of the event or maybe I just looked distressed.

To that lanky rider on the Zinn who passed me on the verge while racing up the opening fire trail on lap one and who I could never peg back because of the traffic - I've already began my sprint training for next year Morgan.

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
The vast majority of people out there recognise the significance of dedicating an hour of this race to someone who has been integral in developing this format across Australia.

To list this as a bad part of the race shows an enormous amount of disrespect.
Wasn't meaning to be disrespectful but at the briefing they said they were starting the race late and would be having the memorial lap for Willo @ 12 but that it would be fine and we'd be racing the full 24 hours because of daylight savings was ending that night only to have a rider pipe up and tell them it wasn't till next weekend.

If they had said we're racing 23 hours as a memorial to Willo that is one thing but atleast to me and the group of several teams I was with it the race being 23 hours was more of a miscalculation of when daylight savings ended by the organisers rather than something they planned prior to the race.

Last edited:

PDogg

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Fun race on the weekend

The Bad ...

- Delayed start time and only 23 hours of racing. Also the organisers not realising daylight savings was actually ending the next week ... weird. (Not sure why the memorial lap wasn't run at 10, 11?)
Not trying to shoot you down here, but to add further; the organisers conversed with all the sponsors and pro team reps to come to the set up they did. Running the memorial lap earlier would have been hard with rego's open, cars and riders still arrriving, and the scheduled time of the rider briefing. Every participant knew from weeks out that they would need to orgainsed and ready for the kick off at 12, so this was the only way to avoid any issues.

Rob Eva pointed out that dedicating the first hour of the 'race' to James would be quite fitting and all agreed 100%. The 2010 Mont will always be the year the race was 23 hours, not 24, and hopefully everyone can remember why that was. I know I will.

To that lanky rider on the Zinn who passed me on the verge while racing up the opening fire trail on lap one and who I could never peg back because of the traffic - I've already began my sprint training for next year Morgan.
Traffic my R's. I know who you are and HTFU you too! ....:cool:

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Not trying to shoot you down here, but to add further; the organisers conversed with all the sponsors and pro team reps to come to the set up they did. Running the memorial lap earlier would have been hard with rego's open, cars and riders still arrriving, and the scheduled time of the rider briefing. Every participant knew from weeks out that they would need to orgainsed and ready for the kick off at 12, so this was the only way to avoid any issues.

Rob Eva pointed out that dedicating the first hour of the 'race' to James would be quite fitting and all agreed 100%. The 2010 Mont will always be the year the race was 23 hours, not 24, and hopefully everyone can remember why that was. I know I will.
Well it looks like I've misjudged this one, apologies if I've offended anyone.

From our perspective we (our teams) had no idea the organisers had had this discussion with the sponsors, pro teams etc and that these were the reasons the race would be starting late. If they'd mentioned this at the briefing then it would have been clear to all.

What we heard at the briefing was that we'd still be racing 24 hours because of the daylight savings time change only to have someone mention to them it wasn't till next weekend.

When I put the 23 hours of racing in the bad column it wasn't anything to do with the memorial it was for what appeared to be the organisers not being very organised.

Added: I'd just like to also add when I added the 23hr bit to the bad it was a minor point and either way I still had a great time at the event. I think the organisers did a great job and this was just a minor issue to do with communication.

Last edited:

frensham

Likes Dirt
First Mont, had a blast... Got over taken plenty and did plenty of over taking - ZERO issues - Cheers to all who participated and made this such a worth while pursuit.

But, what is the above comment all about?? Frensham, would you like to elaborate and kindly substantiate this statement with a little more info - assuming it is reliable of cause.

Dave
word has it that our beautiful campsite has a rare an endangered tiny little yellow orchid growing there - the authorities are probably not going to allow us to camp there next year - we can use the tracks for a race, no problem, but we need to find a new place to camp......
The road realignment has nothing to do with the future of the Mont.

dinosaur_mtb

Likes Dirt
Let me assure you that this honour and goodwill gesture has already been appreciated by the family as passed on directly via email by those still in SA.

dragonfly

Likes Bikes
As a virgin montie, I thought the weekend was great! A bit of planning on our part ensured we had a great campsite that we managed to squeeze 2 teams into. And as a first timer, to get 3rd in our category (mixed 4 single speed), I was absolutely stoked!! All credit to my team mates ;). But Paul Cole outright lied to me - he said "You know me, all my courses are flat with no climbs". So what was with the 700 fire road climbs?! A challenge with only 2 gears to choose from - standing up or sitting down.

Great race, friendly riders and transition was great with lots of encouragement from random strangers. Loved it!

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
As a virgin montie, I thought the weekend was great! A bit of planning on our part ensured we had a great campsite that we managed to squeeze 2 teams into. And as a first timer, to get 3rd in our category (mixed 4 single speed), I was absolutely stoked!! All credit to my team mates ;). But Paul Cole outright lied to me - he said "You know me, all my courses are flat with no climbs". So what was with the 700 fire road climbs?! A challenge with only 2 gears to choose from - standing up or sitting down.

Great race, friendly riders and transition was great with lots of encouragement from random strangers. Loved it!
so this means that I will have to build another extension to your trophy cabinet to fit your monster mont trophy in:)

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
......But Paul Cole outright lied to me - he said "You know me, all my courses are flat with no climbs". ...
Nah Paul didn't lie to you. You just don't understand his perspective. He thinks Mt Stromlo only has a little bit of undulation. So by comparison Sparrows is flat. :D

Bear - out.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
word has it that our beautiful campsite has a rare an endangered tiny little yellow orchid growing there
That's not good news, I noticed on Thursday that these areas were roped off with thin pink rope, when I arrived at the campsite it seemed that a lot of the pink rope had stretched and torn in the breeze. They were replaced with Shimano tape.

The place near our campsite was ridden through all weekend, there is only so many times you can tell people not to walk through that area. Having said that, entry to the event centre in the number 1 lane was blocked off by a team's bike stand and the food vendors. It took a bit of drama to convince the team to move their bike stand 1 meter closer to their campsite in order to allow a passage way through. Sadly the only other way around was through the fenced off zone which a lot of people had already discovered and so more people would follow.

I know it is too late now, but some proper fencing around those areas would have solved this issue. But I guess who would foot the bill for the fencing...?

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But Paul Cole outright lied to me - he said "You know me, all my courses are flat with no climbs". So what was with the 700 fire road climbs?! A challenge with only 2 gears to choose from - standing up or sitting down.
Actually, you had 4, running and walking are bot perfectly valid gears for you SS nutters

In all seriousness, the fire road sections probably had a great deal to do with minimising passing related agro

I only had 3 passing related incidents

1) I misjudged an overtake on th corner quite early in the track where the inside option was a small drop and the outside was continuous track - I attempted an overtake on the insideand wasn't quick enough, but because had wheels off the ground couldnt stop - the other guy breaked enough to let me through - I thanked him profusely before continuing (needless to say I was all there on some of my night laps)

2) Some guy called for a pass on the right - I gave track - he mucked up the corner and at a very late stage calls "I'm going to cut you off" does so, and proceeds to ride on... I did a little legs in the air fishtail movement but managed to come to a stop safely > a less experienced rider would've been in serious trouble

3) At the entry to a single track a lady allowed a few people to pass - I was going through for my turn (having communcated properly) but she ran out of space and pulled back onto the track (well within her rights) For some reason I had been holding my breath so audibly groaned when I eased off the pace to let her in... she took it as a subtle insult - Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude - I think she accepted my rushed apology

I'm not super quick by any measure, but with fairly consistent sub-1 hr laps I was doing a lot more passing than being passed

My typical lines were

When you're ready...
When you've got a chance...

if I came across someone who was looked worried and in to much of a hurry to find a passing spot I'd say something along the lines of

no rush, find somewhere thats safe, no sense getting hurt

I also think that if you are riding in a consistent group (e.g. staying together in a pace line for a few kms) you should really communicate this to the person you are passing e.g.

When you've got a chance, could 3 of us get by... no rush, wait for a big open section etc etc

On the flip side, in the morning when a couple of people told me to pass on climbs I may have muttered a few choice words on what I thought about the proposition of going faster on uphill sections of track - nevertheless, my personal rule is that if I'm offered a pass I must take it, no matter how much the neccesary acceleration may hurt (sadistic I know) I only broke that rule once during the Mont which was lucky, because after I said no thankyou to the pass the guy promptly doubled his speed and rode off leaving me with a WTF??? expression on my face

caak

Likes Bikes
That second last night riding shot is fantastic. Any chance of a high resolution version for a wallpaper? Very arty and abstract.

ruskoo

Likes Dirt
That second last night riding shot is fantastic. Any chance of a high resolution version for a wallpaper? Very arty and abstract.
Ask him for it! He doesn't come to these forums though.

BTW how did everyones lap times change as you went through the night? I was happy to find that on my 5th lap at about 5am was 70mins where as my 1st lap was 60mins.

Last edited: