The Astrix has started

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
hey safreek...what bottom bracket are you going to run in the huckster? im not 100% on bb spacer placements on my frame (using a Shimano Deore BB51 Hollowtech II)
...just wondering how youve set yours up?

safreek

hey safreek...what bottom bracket are you going to run in the huckster? im not 100% on bb spacer placements on my frame (using a Shimano Deore BB51 Hollowtech II)
...just wondering how youve set yours up?
Sorry mate, I have no idea on bb's, I'm hoping it will just be a quick swap over from the stinky with a spacer, if not I'm rooted. If it doesn't work I shall afterpay some xt or slx cranks and bb from mtbdirect.
Unless someone has a cheap single mount crankset and bb for sale that can be used with a chain guide

safreek

Screw it in and adjust outwards until nothing rubs yeah?
It has the chain guide mounts, can I whack the guide on after the bottom bracket is installed, as in when I can.afford a chain guide, just by removing a crank and bolting it on. Is it more complicated than that.

safreek

OK, looks like the bike is going to be a true light weighter, well lighter than I expected.
Weights are taken from a $10 big w fish scale but I guess it should be close to real
Frame with shock is around 11.5 lbs
Fork with axle and top crown is around 12 lbs
Front wheel is around 6.5 lbs
Rear wheel is around 7.5 lbs
Both wheels have maxxis minion dh tyres with dh tubes and 8 inch rotors

To be honest I expected it to come in a lot heavier
37ish seems pretty reasonable considering the fork
Still a few parts to add but I'm pretty happy with that

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The chain guide install should be pretty simple. Just have a few different sized shims on hand to ensure no contact between moving parts and if it looks close to hitting as the suspension is cycled through, give it a few springless cycles to be sure.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You don't always need to cycle the suspension, I just do it when it looks really close. Pivot has a mark on it where I thought I was clear...but wasn't.

Shims, washers, spacers...whatever. Some guides come with a few different sizes. I've got heaps of them. Years ago crc used to do free shipping on all purchases. One time I was in a smart arse of a mood so purchased a whole heap of <$5 (may even have been under $1) packs of shims from the clearance section one pack at a time. I'll likely never need to buy any again.

Do you which iscg mount your frame is?

safreek

I have no idea, which has been a problem when looking at second hand guides
Would a photo of the mounts help identity which ones?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe. If it's a good one. They are not that different as to stick out like dog's balls. 05 is more 12, 3, 6 o'clock rock than o.l.d.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A quick look at the astrix site just shows a "chain guide mount". I would take this to mean o.l.d. based on age of frame and my experience from that era was 05 was regularly plastered in the promo material. It was the boost of its era.

safreek

A quick look at the astrix site just shows a "chain guide mount". I would take this to mean o.l.d. based on age of frame and my experience from that era was 05 was regularly plastered in the promo material. It was the boost of its era.
Sweet, almost boost. How modern am I.

safreek

OK. Seem likes its an.old style mount. Not worried at the moment as it seems like I have some piece of shit bb that may not fit the frame, unless the old stinkies had a 73 mm bb.
Just lashed out and purchased a flash as necro headset for 20 bucks, will I regret this, well probably but we will see.
If the bb don't work I will afterpay some new cranks and bb from mtbdirect. Bloody good idea that afterpay
Then maybe even a new headset as well in the deal.
Certainly looking forward to getting it up and running

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Afterpay...now that is a slippery slope.what size is your bb? If it's 83mm shoot me a pm and I'll whisper sweet nothing's in your ear.

safreek

Afterpay...now that is a slippery slope.what size is your bb? If it's 83mm shoot me a pm and I'll whisper sweet nothing's in your ear.
Nar, afterpay is sweet, providing you pay. Bottom bracket is.a basic 73 but from what I have searched shows the stinkass to be 68. Shall see if bikeshop has a spacer but I will guess he doesn't.
First new frame so I am getting him to install the headset instead of my.normal wood and.hammer trick.
I think that.I will need a new headset soon.as i dont think it will insert deep enough

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ummm from that era 68mm and 73mm bottom brackets should be interchangeable. I'm prepared to be wrong, but I'm certain in that era the only bottom bracket question I ever had to worry about was is it 68/73mm or 83mm? Oh the simple times...

safreek

I once won an auction on eBay, still had to pay money so not really a win, hopefully you will.be right