The Fear...

Discussion in 'Vets' started by stewyh, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Ultra Lord

Ultra Lord Eats Squid

Moto whips help. Jumping steep jumps straight is scary as fuck, bringing the bike up into you and moving it around to match the tranny helps.

Gotta stay loose and calm. No dead sailoring people!
    And steady progression is key, which means having your own trails that you built is what you want. You can make things progressivelg steeper as you progress, which limits the hurt.
    And have a smaller warmup set, nobody likes jumping cold.

I would not reccomend going from dh style ski jumps straight into 10ft tall bmx trails with vert upramps.

foxpuppet likes this.
  2. foxpuppet

foxpuppet Eats Squid

I always wonder how those BMX guys do it, obviously doesn’t translate on an MTB. Need the right bike for the right style jumps.

I can’t jump for quids on my Bike other than a little whip out from time to time, yet can hit the jump line on Front Valley at Perisher no issues on my snowboard. Theres something so forgiving about snow that even when you come up short it’s ok. Coming up short on the bike means so much more carnage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pink poodle

pink poodle Clinically Inane

I stood at the base of bmx jumps like that recently and fuck me they were huge!

Are we talking steep launches on trails, so you're already cooking when you hit them? Or more steep like on a dirt jump? For me on the steeper jumps I go back to my basics - push the bike into the jump, compressing into it. Then bring the bars up as I come off the ramp to reduce the likelihood of the back end rising up and putting me into a scorpion of death. When I feel the rise maxing out I'm pushing the bars forward towards the landing and bringing my feet up with the tail of the bike, this levels me off and I line up the lander. If I'm feeling like a boss this is the moment for a trick...speed plays a role in trick selection - never x-up at high speed!!! When the landing comes up drop the bars down to line up the angle and extend the landing gear a little past halfway. It's good to have the legs out on landing in case you need to suck up more than the bike can on impact. My arms kind of perform an "S" progressively through the jump. The technique has slight variations for different styles of jump, but has mostly universal application.

Mr Crudley and Ultra Lord like this.
  4. Ultra Lord

Ultra Lord Eats Squid

26’ ain’t dead!!!! Does a dj bike count as a mtb? I think so
    :eek: dude can ride.

DMan, wkkie and Cardy George like this.
  5. foxpuppet

foxpuppet Eats Squid

Is that really a mtb? Looks like a big wheeled bmx.....

Sure can ride though, Ive always had it in my head though that DJ bikes had suspension forks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ultra Lord

Ultra Lord Eats Squid

@foxpuppet
    It’s a deity cryptkeeper with manitou circus’s up front. Dirt jump hardtail through an through.

26 dj mtb ride pretty different to 26” and 24” bmx’s.

Aaaaaand another vid of this under rated rider.

Mr Crudley likes this.
  7. pink poodle

That's some rad riding.

8. Ultra Lord

Ultra Lord Eats Squid

Chyea, and an awesome soundtrack

9. slowmick

slowmick Likes Bikes and Dirt

Finally watched fox puppets vid. That is me on international at Buller. the more times i do it the more it freaks me out. Doesn't help that i watched my young cousin ride it on his DMR trailstar when he was 19... I'll have too get lessons from John U some day.

10. hifiandmtb

hifiandmtb King of his castle

11. DMan

DMan Top Bloke

I like the idea of fairy floss better than foam chunks. Even that sounds hard on my old body.

12. pink poodle

@DMan want to dive into the fairy floss...don't we all?

13. DMan

DMan Top Bloke

A foam pit seems like a good excuse no? I think I need a coaching session with you Poodle teaching me jump basics.