The Fixie Thread

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
X-treme and pure, that's what I want in a bike riding experience. But where's the bottle mounts for my Pepsi?

Lorday

Eats Squid
Fixed gear makes commuting funner! Did a fair bit of riding to and from places on fixed gear, loved it. MTB's getting neglected til the weather dries up and I can get to some decent trails.

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
Just a little rant from me...

Rode into the city along the bike path today, and got alot of positive comments on my bike. Sweet! Got into town, feeling pretty happy. Had a drink, and decided to head home... Decided to ride home along the road, and started cruising along St Kilda Road, behind a pretty fast MTB commuter. We were cruising at around 35kmph, and having a good run with the lights. He kept looking back at me, but said nothing.

We both had to stop at the lights on Toorak Road, and turned and said to me.. "Where are your brakes? Do you know what I saw this morning? A kid like you who got cut off by a truck and ran into a gutter. What are you gonna do if that happened to you?"

By this stage I was gobsmacked. I had been obeying the road rules, and not playing with traffic or anything like that. I mean fair enough, I appreciate his concern. But I don't wanna be told that I'm a fool for doing nothing wrong!

/end rant.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey, Looking at getting into fixes and have been wanting to for a while. So rather then starting a new thread about which bike to buy I'll ask in here.
Could I have some opinions on the Giant Bowery please? There's the black and chrome one at my LBS that is on sale for $780 but I think because I am a regular in there and buy a lot they will probably knock off a bit of the price for me (Wouldn't even mind if they didn't)

Cheers guys,
Rob

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Could I have some opinions on the Giant Bowery please? There's the black and chrome one at my LBS that is on sale for $780..
Bowery's aren't too flash mate.. Aluminium sucks. Giants in general suck. The KHS Flites are in the same sorta coin bracket and are waaaay nicer: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_F9B4O1vAzjI/Sl_uAcJrlsI/AAAAAAAAAQQ/MZYbIvc2AEs/s1600-h/IMG_8418.JPG

..Cyclingo in HBT are doing them for $850. It's steel, so you can fix it. It has pannier mounts so you can run a rack if you need to carry a carton or two of beer home. It has brake mounts for the sensible..

Last edited:

Jaumet

Likes Dirt

Rode into the city along the bike path today, and got alot of positive comments on my bike. Sweet! Got into town, feeling pretty happy. Had a drink, and decided to head home... Decided to ride home along the road, and started cruising along St Kilda Road, behind a pretty fast MTB commuter. We were cruising at around 35kmph, and having a good run with the lights. He kept looking back at me, but said nothing.

We both had to stop at the lights on Toorak Road, and turned and said to me.. "Where are your brakes? Do you know what I saw this morning? A kid like you who got cut off by a truck and ran into a gutter. What are you gonna do if that happened to you?"

By this stage I was gobsmacked. I had been obeying the road rules, and not playing with traffic or anything like that. I mean fair enough, I appreciate his concern. But I don't wanna be told that I'm a fool for doing nothing wrong!

/end rant.
Assure him your lack of brakes makes you a very very vigilant rider and you would not of got into the situation the other poor boy got himself into in the first place...

Hey, Looking at getting into fixes and have been wanting to for a while. So rather then starting a new thread about which bike to buy I'll ask in here.
Could I have some opinions on the Giant Bowery please? There's the black and chrome one at my LBS that is on sale for $780 but I think because I am a regular in there and buy a lot they will probably knock off a bit of the price for me (Wouldn't even mind if they didn't)

Cheers guys,
Rob
Don't get the giant, it's rubbish...

bdstorer

Likes Dirt
Assure him your lack of brakes makes you a very very vigilant rider and you would not of got into the situation the other poor boy got himself into in the first place...
Vigilance won't necessarily help you as much as a brake would, 'Motorists' are a strange breed..

...and then you've got sub-species such as ,'The Elderly', 'Volvo Drivers', 'Menstrating' and 'Asian drivers'* to look out for... My vote is for a front brake in the city yo..

*(apologies for the gross generalisation and stereotypes.. my brother-in-law is Laotian and he for one, cannot drive a vehicle ::D)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

/end rant.
Well, it is illegal to be running with no brakes but then most fun things in life tend to be against the law...

I'm not surprised that people are starting to speak out a bit. Now that fixies are suddenly the new razor scooters/new era caps/pokemons/insert flavour of the month here , there's a huge influx of fuckwits on the road who have absolutely no bike-handling skills whatsoever yet are cruising through the CBD brakeless.

Expect a backlash from the police real soon...

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, it is illegal to be running with no brakes but then most fun things in life tend to be against the law...

I'm not surprised that people are starting to speak out a bit. Now that fixies are suddenly the new razor scooters/new era caps/pokemons/insert flavour of the month here , there's a huge influx of fuckwits on the road who have absolutely no bike-handling skills whatsoever yet are cruising through the CBD brakeless.

Expect a backlash from the police real soon...
yeah i expect the cops to get onto it soon, but you can just say it has rear hub brakes, like my old speedwell had :)