The Fixie Thread

Cedel

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did my first alleycat on Sunday, Escape From The Suburbs. Such a sweet ride. Had a good mix of riding throughout the ride, big hills, straights and then the city. Came 22nd of 101. Anyone who didn't go, you missed out BIG time!

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spewing, had a reluctant leave pass from Mrs. Christo, then 30 minutes before I was due to leave she gets a spontaneous "migraine" meaning I had to stay home to look after our 2 year old.

The course was pretty-much my regular daily commute, I would've smashed it..

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, didn't, haven't...

:(

Lorday

Eats Squid
Did my first alleycat on Sunday, Escape From The Suburbs. Such a sweet ride. Had a good mix of riding throughout the ride, big hills, straights and then the city. Came 22nd of 101. Anyone who didn't go, you missed out BIG time!
Thats a big turnout. For all you sydney hipsters Star Trak is on this weekend (saturday). For more info see candy cranks blogspot.

Pete J

loves his dog
This is my new bike, finally ready after months of doing nothing with the frame.
I figured that there was no point building it up until the weather had improved enough to actually ride it.
Otherwise it would have just been sitting there teasing me the whole time.
Quick spec-list is as follows:
Frame - Bob Jackson
Fork - BJ Reynolds
Headset - Dura Ace
Wheels - Dura Ace LF hubs on Open Pro's
Cranks - Miche (new) Primato
Stem/bars - WIN and Nitto randonneur
Seat - SLR
Tyres - Schwalbe Durano 700x25

Goes quite nicely and has no toe overlap thank goodness.
Had a couple issues with the frame though, the bb thread needed to be cleaned out thoroughly twice before the bb would go in at all. Another thing was the seat tube stickers got munched up after the bike was clamped onto my bike stand. I only turned the bike slightly whilst it was on the stand and immediatley the stickers scrunched up. So i took them off altogether, no problemo anyway cos there were too much on the frame to start with.
Other than that it's all sweet, for now.
I eventually want all Dura Ace bits on it but for now am happy that it is rideable. :cool:

Attachments

Pete J

loves his dog
Good to see you're on the road again! What's the bulge on the top tube? Can't quite figure it out...
Yeah like the other dude said it's to protect the top tube from the bars.
The DA headset works so well that the bars swing around very easily, so much so that it's almost annoying. It has to be the smoothest headset i have ever had, i even took it to my lbs just to make sure it wasn't just too loose.
As for weight i have no idea at all, i don't have accurate scales here at home...
We have had a bit of a heatwave here lately, temps have been above 10 degrees for almost a week! Woot, summer isn't far off then. :D

hubbie

Forever 1,337
Still looking for a buyer, if anyones interested. Lockring has now arrived. Will post at buyers expense.

Fixie for sale

Selling my spare fixie. Repco (70s/80s?) 700c frame painted dark greeny blue, like the ocean. Alloy road stem, drops, post, sugino 170mm cranks. Campagnolo Zeus high flange rear, Campagnolo Record high flange front, both to Alex DP2000's with DT Swiss spokes. Vredestein Ricorso tyres. X-mission road saddle, KMC chain, Odyssey Twisted PC's. Runs great. small paint chips on frame. Waiting on a Miche lockring to arrive on monday-tuesday. $600 - Pickup preferred.

Paddyboy

Likes Bikes
Hey Fellas,
Just bought myself a fixie off ebay and I love it! Got a few plans for it, powdercoat it and new wheels and bars. But first I want to get the gear ratio right as right now there is a 48t chainring and a 17t sprocket and with the gear ratio calculator its gear inches is nearly 77! I would like to have it around 70 which I think is a good balance between hills and fast commuting. My question is, should I change one gear over the other or change both?
For instance if I left the 17t sprocket and changed the 48t to a 45t then I would have around 70, or is it better to keep the chainring at 48 and change the 17t to an 18?
Im only a newbie here so forgive my naivety.
thanks

hubbie

Forever 1,337
probably easier to swap rear cogs, as they are standard sizing, whereas chainrings have different bcd's.

PM replies woulda been nice.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why is trixieing so shit?

It's so unsmooth. Sliders out of fakies are always indian guiver, they don't hop into grinds they line up the pedals and ride in the ledge, his "whips" of the little banks on the footpath were landed whipped out. That guy wasn't even catching the bars before he landed. It's not smooth or attractive looking, so why do it.

And riding around with the bars turned round is not cool!

It's one thing to throw the bars just fucking about, but terrible riding that takes so long to "perfect"? I'd rather not.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Why is trixieing so shit?

It's so unsmooth. Sliders out of fakies are always indian guiver, they don't hop into grinds they line up the pedals and ride in the ledge, his "whips" of the little banks on the footpath were landed whipped out. That guy wasn't even catching the bars before he landed. It's not smooth or attractive looking, so why do it.

And riding around with the bars turned round is not cool!

It's one thing to throw the bars just fucking about, but terrible riding that takes so long to "perfect"? I'd rather not.
Not everyone...

[video=vimeo;6200166]http://vimeo.com/6200166[/video]

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, but he doesn't even consider himself a fixie rider. He's a trials rider that happens to also be very talented at many other disciplines.