The Fixie Thread

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Gatorskins are indestructible, but heavy. If you're running a brake and not skidding, you don't need them. If you're not running a brake and you're skip-stopping everywhere, they'll be invaluable.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Gatorskins are grrreat! Last forever.
Gatorskins are indestructible, but heavy. If you're running a brake and not skidding, you don't need them. If you're not running a brake and you're skip-stopping everywhere, they'll be invaluable.
All of this. If you want them a little lighter get the folding versions. Also - easier to get on and off.

@Carlin - looks the goods, assume it goes alright too?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
My latest:

I'm calling it an accident. I didn't really need to buy the frame, and I just happened to have the parts just lying around in the garage. Whoops.
25 y.o. Clamont (by Geoff Scott) FTW - this is mine (don't ride it any more...can't find nice 27" tyres!):

Was considering SS-ing it but it's too nice to sully...

Last edited:

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Regardless of brake / skid combination, I think they're great tyres. I run a brake and don't really skid very much and still run them cause they're very resistant to punctures. Actually can't remember the last time I had a flat on my fixie *touch wood*

vandenberg

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
haven't dropped in here for ages...
A few things: Carlin's Clamont is rad. Looks great in the flesh.
Gatorskins are rad. I run them on my fixed and my roadie. Flats are so rare it's not funny. Grip in the wet aint awesome, but whatever.
hifiandmtb: you can actually get gatorskins in a 27". Handy to know. Nice bike too, btw.

I haven't ridden fixed in ages: living out west with a 65km round-trip commute isn't conducive fixed-gear shenanigans. Most of my riding is now on a surly cross-check with nice fat tyres, mudguards, mini front rack with handlebar bag. I am the super commuter.

Lorday

Eats Squid
For a geared, fendered and panniered commuter vandenberg's bike looks classy in the flesh. Probably because it's a surly. Also its my size.

I reckon bikes in your own size are always instantly more good looking.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Regardless of brake / skid combination, I think they're great tyres. I run a brake and don't really skid very much and still run them cause they're very resistant to punctures. Actually can't remember the last time I had a flat on my fixie *touch wood*
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my set of Gatorskins and they're a million times better than the shitty Maxxis Re/Fuse my housemate has. All I'm saying is if you don't necessarily need the insane puncture resistance, there are lighter options available.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not saying gatorskins are a bad tire, but I'd say that they're very over rated, and there are a lot better tyres for the money.
Still sticking with the Schwalbe Durano Plus as my favorite, and with a specific Durano 'Skid' on it's way out, that's going to be hard to beat.

In other news, not sure if I've posted it here, but my fixed gears had a new front end after a stack earlier in the year, now featuring chrome Soma track forks with an all black Velocity Aerohead track wheel. Looks noice. Will post up a pic soon.

pilot

Likes Dirt
I found a Gatorskin in a pile of rubbish that had been put out for council pickup, looked OK to me.
It lasted as a front tire for another 6 months, took a chuck of glass to cut through the wall to finish it too.
Suffice to say, i'm a convert.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here is my new build for riding to uni/drunk, going to run my other fixie with clips on it constantly for riding to work.

Pretty happy with how it rides, feels really nice.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Anyone got a frame and fork they're looking to get rid of? Thinking something like a Fuji, soma, pake, surly, volume that kind of thing. No lugs! Size 55-57 ideal. Let me know! Sydney prefferable, but flexible for sure.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks man!

Yeah the saddle isn't the best in the world, but I don't mind it. This bike is only for short commutes anyway, so it isn't the end of the world, I've got a Spec saddle on my other fixed bicycle that is a bit better for the long hauls. Oh, and it was a good price too ($0.00).

For those on the Best Coast (Perth) there are a few of us doing a pub crawl ride on Sunday.