The Fixie Thread

wombat

Lives in a hole
Again, not a fixie at the moment (although it is a FF wheel on this one), but it seems so hipster I figured this would be the most appropriate place.
Little brother's bike:
bike1-1.jpg
Here's Johnny!

bike1-2.jpg
Black sections are chalkboard wrap, new graphics whenever you want!

Lorday

Eats Squid
At the moment its still missing 1x front axle nut.

Nice foot retention alex!.
Photo doesn't show bo strap-ons or the spare SPD's.

On the foot retention point, i've been riding fixed 3 years now 3-4 times a week. Never had foot retention, never crashed due to lack of it. Whats the issue?
Have you got a brake?
Tom is slightly more sensible than some - he runs a brake. (maybe two?)

those tires are huge!
35c yo!

Lorday

Eats Squid
u can get 35c?

what brand? i thought the 28c i was going to get would be fat!
I think they're Continental Contacts. They came stock on my 2008 Salsa Casseroll and were never ridden (swapped out for 25c Gatorskins [best tyre] straight away). Funny thing is I've got 25c Continental inner tubes in there.

stp0 rider

Likes Bikes
You must be doing something wrong, mine's fine after ~3000KM's. When'd you get it?

i got mine last year and ive done around 1000km's atleast.
i dont really no the problem with it but, if its lose enough for it to spin freely there is a heap of movement in the front end, and if its tight enough to stop movement its to tight to spin freely..?
i am running 3 spacers if that makes a difference.

phils1967

Squid
Brown Jersey Cycles

Hi guys. Does anyone have any experience with this shop? They do appear to have some nice looking (to me, anyway) bikes on their website...

Thanks.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i got mine last year and ive done around 1000km's atleast.
i dont really no the problem with it but, if its lose enough for it to spin freely there is a heap of movement in the front end, and if its tight enough to stop movement its to tight to spin freely..?
i am running 3 spacers if that makes a difference.
I've had the same problem, it's an installation issue, something isn't straight. You may need the headtube faced/reamed so all the bearing sufaces line up nice.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok so i havent ridden fixed for months due to a broken scaphiod. Now it seems the op wont be for ages so im thinking, f-it, i need to ride so i might bite the bullet and get a front brake :)

anyone got a setup for sale cheap? any recomendations if i go hunting for something new?

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could read into that one soooooo deeply!

I have one for sale, check in the road for sale forum.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking for recommendations for an intro level track bike.
I need a size 58-59cm based on my roadie size.
Anyone have any recommendations on something new or else have an older steel track bike in good nick?

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For track? Most of the entry level alloy track frames from the familiar brands seem to be OK. Entry level steel and a lot of older frames feel like noodles.
For track use mainly.
It MAY get ridden off the track but I wuld think this will be the exception rather than the rule.
Looking for track geometry rather than hipster fashion fixie. ;)