The Fixie Thread

downhillar

Likes Dirt
has anyone ever heard of Abeni bikes? I picked one up called a 'super record', wondering if it's worth anything or if i can go ahead and molest it already :)

RCOH

Eats Squid
John Abeni owns & runs Europa Cycles, first in Adeladie, now in Kensignton, Sydney. He has built bikes (or had bikes built for him) using both the Abeni & Europa brands using a mixture of good, medium & poor quality steels - I think some were Made In Italy using the now defunt Technotrat tubing. I think Abeni bikes were built while the shop was in Adelaide, while Europa is the sydney based brand

Give him a call on 02 9663 3644

downhillar

Likes Dirt
John Abeni owns & runs Europa Cycles, first in Adeladie, now in Kensignton, Sydney. He has built bikes (or had bikes built for him) using both the Abeni & Europa brands using a mixture of good, medium & poor quality steels - I think some were Made In Italy using the now defunt Technotrat tubing. I think Abeni bikes were built while the shop was in Adelaide, while Europa is the sydney based brand

Give him a call on 02 9663 3644
sweet! mine says 'made in australia' so i guess it came out of adelaide.
thanks for the info RCOH :)

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought I would make you all jealous with a snapshot from my daily commute to work.

It is really beautiful to be able to ride a section of beach, takes a touch longer, but definately worth it. Only in the morning though, a horrible wind blows in the afternoon. Pretty cool to be able to check out the swell on the way to work too (well not really, because I am on the way to work, not the beach).

Popped a computer on the other day as a matter of interest. Topped out thismorning at 50.14kph down a small hill, which given my 34-14 gear ratio is a cadence of 165. Spin!

Also, I know this thread isn't really for sales talk, but my Indi Condor Lightweight is for sale. Really nice conversion, Velocity wheels, heaps of news parts etc. See the for sale forum!

tre0001

Likes Dirt
Specs? What wheels are they?
Sorry i cant be too specific started over a year ago. But here is a rough guide.

Stars Cirle Single Track Rims
Kenda Tires and Giant tubes
the cranks are 175mm not sure on the brand sorry
Headset converter
Raceface ride Bars
Truativ Stem
Campagnolo V Brakes

HLC

Likes Dirt
So changed some bit and pieces on my bike since i initially posted it up.

New Wheelset, B43's... then swapped the front for this low spoke count shimano roadie thing. B43's are so damn heavy though. Keen to get rid of the rear and find something much lighter - preferably a lower spoke count too.

Also chucked on some risers as I bent my bullhorns in a stack. Keen to replace these as well, they are trick bars, which were chopped, and then i chopped some more and are twice as heavy as the bullhorns were... gonna pick up some nitto's soon.

Put the aero post on. And swapped out my carbon saddle for a Cinelli Unicanitor. The frame is slightly too small, and the risers make it worse. Couple that with my long legs (and arms) = epic seatpost height and low stem height. It was that high before the aero post too. Looks ridiculous, as does the saddle angle. Cannot seem to get it right with the risers as they are forcing me to sit right back on my arse. Once i get some horns back on, will be able to lean it forward slightly more and it will be happy days.

I also chucked on some 12 guage bar-ends the other day.

Running 46-15... 80 gear inches. goes well, and going down to a 15 from a 17t allowed to take out a couple of links in the chain and slam the rear.

And the worst part... Bike went from like 7.9 kilo's to like 9 :'(

Last edited:

i like dirt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Running 46-15... 80 gear inches. goes well, and going down to a 15 from a 17t allowed to take out a couple of links in the chain and slam the rear.
Best gearing out! So much nicer along the flat, once you get a solid cadence going you can get cruising at a real nice pace.

HLC

Likes Dirt
Best gearing out! So much nicer along the flat, once you get a solid cadence going you can get cruising at a real nice pace.
Yeah agreed. Been riding it for about 2 months now. After best part of a year riding 70 gear inches, took me a little while to get te legs back up for max skids etc but all good now!

I'm comin back to Sydney for Holidays in a few weeks and gonna bring the bike so am curious to see How it goes over there where it's considerably less flat.

Last edited:

HLC

Likes Dirt
I just don't use any haha...they would probably help but I've never found myself wanting to use them.
you must live in the flattest suburb ever, or never go fast lol

unless you just footjam to stop.

Foot retention is the only thing i could never go without riding fixed. aside from the basic bike itself.

mate, full moon ride on monday night - look up bike jam on facebook.

there should be a Wednesday Night mash. We normally do minimum 40km's and get drunk.

And there is an alleycat on good friday night. Meet at supreme court gardens around 6 i think.

stooge

Likes Dirt
you must live in the flattest suburb ever, or never go fast lol

unless you just footjam to stop.

Foot retention is the only thing i could never go without riding fixed. aside from the basic bike itself.

mate, full moon ride on monday night - look up bike jam on facebook.

there should be a Wednesday Night mash. We normally do minimum 40km's and get drunk.

And there is an alleycat on good friday night. Meet at supreme court gardens around 6 i think.
I would'nt say im a serious fixie rider...its just a fun bike to me, something different to ride.

If i need to slow down i just slow down using the cranks like normal or if im going wayyy to fast i just lock up the back with my legs haha
Well i dont really ride big hills and i wouldnt say i go super fast everywere i just cruise but still zip around here and there...i mostly just ride the city or around the suburbs, or underground carparks haha...I mostly just stuff around, just for fun when im not on my mtb.
How are you alive?
haha...when i first got it I was pretty sketch and i can see why people wear straps but now im just used to it...i like to be able to bail out of the high speed wheelies :p

A couple more recent photos of the bike and to prove i do get out on it :p

Tomas

my mum says im cool
On the foot retention point, i've been riding fixed 3 years now 3-4 times a week. Never had foot retention, never crashed due to lack of it. Whats the issue?