ProLite drops
Spesh Romin saddle
S Works post

Attachments

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Merlin

Quick pic of my new Single speed.

Racing on Sunday at the Lancelin Hell of the North.

Quick buildup, Cost is $400 for frame. Rest of the bits are from the parts bin.

don't like the bars but will do in the mean time.

Merlin Works.jpg

rumblefish

Likes Dirt
Azzuri Supercorsa

Hi All, I am thinking about grabing a cheap fixie to do some riding with the family and for some mates ride. I just saw an Azzurri Supercorsa on sale for $499 (rrp $999). I have struggled to find any reviews. Does anyone have any feedback on whether these bikes are of reasonable quality?

floody

Wheel size expert
New one. 1970s Petrus frame, Dura-Ace/Tange/Nitto build.

Ignore crappy Holstar cog/lockring/KMC chain, has Dura-Ace cog and lockring now with HKK Vertex silver.

dasher.11

Likes Bikes
My new build. Frame with love from gear brisbane, some bits and bobs from treadly in radelaide and then some parts from my roadie.

Apologies for the shitty phone photo.

Attachments

Rutter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats sick Rutter! How is the clamp on brake?
Thanks mate, the clamp on brake is pretty good ive been using it for about 3 yrs now on different builds. It is pretty heavy the bike defs feels smoother brakeless (probs a placebo), but i get lazy and always riding in traffic etc so its nice to have it their

Ray1

Squid
Wicked looking build dude!
Heres my current beater (Work in progress)...

The idea was to make it look as un-attractive and as comfortable to ride as possible; it now has a turbo saddle, odyssey pedals and bogear straps. Just waiting on a chain and ill be riding!

Next build will be a Cinelli Gazzetta, probably these b43's (and the stock wheels on my beater) and Thompson components. Not sure on what cranks to run yet; how are you finding those Omniums's Dasher? I was considering running either them, or 75's!

Cheers guys,
- Billy

camoshop

Banned
pake rum runner

specs:
•pake rum runner 55cm frame
•pake blade track forks
•jagwire front brake cabe
•Generic Black front brake
•funn mtb 45mm slammed stem
•Generic Loose ball headset
•zeus 31.8 over sized rizors with oury grips and alloy end caps
•dia-comp tech 77 lever
•kalloy seat post
•rolls slim San Marco saddle
•sugino xd2 165mm cranks
•Generic BB
•sugino 44t chain ring
•17t rear cog with njs dura ace lock ring
•hkk njs hollow pin chain
•funn mtb sealed pedals with Bo gear straps
•nickel njs chain tugs
•pake tt pad
•fyxation 28c tires
•Alex R450 rims,rear 3x laced front radial laced.
•novatec hubs with hollow axles

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

New addition Drops and longer stem with track grips,
and 23c tires

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i've had a quick search but nothing came up.
does anyone have an Avanti Pista? i'm looking at a 2013 one however i'd like to at least put a front brake, possibly front and rear on it. to me it looks like the frame and fork have a provision for a brake, am i missing anything?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
great... cause i bought one. track bars were quickly removed though, terrible things!
had a spare set of riser bars so they are temp, not sure if i want bullhorn or 'normal' drop bars.

another question... the wheel at the moment is fixed. is it the hub, or the actual cog/gear that makes it freewheel? coming from a plethora of 10spd bikes i assumed i need a new wheelset to get a freewheel, but then i came across something like this and assume i can replace the fixed cog?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Freewhee...port_Cycling_Parts&hash=item563e3b8b0f&_uhb=1

it says "ISO Thread 1.375"x24TPI" is that a standard track hub thread?

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet bikes the Avantis, great value for money.

Replace the chainring bolts quick smart though, they're only made of a soft alloy and shearing them would not be fun.

I think the wheel is a flip/flop wheel. So one side is designed for fixed the other for a freewheel (if there's thread on the non drive side of the hub, that's the freewheel side). A fixed cog is just a cog that screws directly onto the wheel with a lockring that is threaded opposite after it. That way the cog is sandwitched between the hub and the lockring preventing it from rotating backwards or forwards free from the wheel.

If you pull that cog and lockring off there will be a small amount of thread. You can actually put a freewheel over the top of that, which will give you singlespeed. Or you can put a freewheel on the side without anything on it at the moment, turn the wheel around and whallah you'll have a singlespeed. Easy!

And yes, that ebay link is the right thing. Any bikeshop will have dicta freewheels for $15, or shimano ones for $30 (get the shimano one). If you really want something bling, white industries make freewheels with 72 engagement points that are as loud as hope hubs.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Sweet bikes the Avantis, great value for money.

Replace the chainring bolts quick smart though, they're only made of a soft alloy and shearing them would not be fun.

I think the wheel is a flip/flop wheel. So one side is designed for fixed the other for a freewheel (if there's thread on the non drive side of the hub, that's the freewheel side). A fixed cog is just a cog that screws directly onto the wheel with a lockring that is threaded opposite after it. That way the cog is sandwitched between the hub and the lockring preventing it from rotating backwards or forwards free from the wheel.

If you pull that cog and lockring off there will be a small amount of thread. You can actually put a freewheel over the top of that, which will give you singlespeed. Or you can put a freewheel on the side without anything on it at the moment, turn the wheel around and whallah you'll have a singlespeed. Easy!

And yes, that ebay link is the right thing. Any bikeshop will have dicta freewheels for $15, or shimano ones for $30 (get the shimano one). If you really want something bling, white industries make freewheels with 72 engagement points that are as loud as hope hubs.
i thought so too, ~$600 and out of the box it weighs 8.7kg so it's reasonably light compared to what else i looked at as well.

chainring bolts are sorted.... the whole crank is being swapped for a carbon crank as we speak as 48x16T would kill me, so i'm going to run the 38T ring i have lying around to gauge what kind of ratio i want.

and you're correct about the wheel, one side is just a straight thread, so a freewheel should go on perfectly... sweet! i thought i was up for a set of wheels too (and finding wheels with a 120 hub that DONT weight 3kg was looking difficult and expensive in reference to the bike cost)

thanks!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The cranks you're getting are track specific right? I remember we were talking about chainlines in a previous thread, chainline is just about the only thing you can fuck up on these bikes. Make sure it's a track crank (most are internal BB) and you'll be laughing.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The cranks you're getting are track specific right? I remember we were talking about chainlines in a previous thread, chainline is just about the only thing you can fuck up on these bikes. Make sure it's a track crank (most are internal BB) and you'll be laughing.
damn, i was hoping a road crank would suffice. are there track cranks with smaller than 144BCD? or do i just go with the smallest 144 ring (~42) and up the freewheel size?

edit - after running a straightline down 2 arms of the spider, it seems i might just jag the chainline...

Last edited:

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
damn, i was hoping a road crank would suffice. are there track cranks with smaller than 144BCD? or do i just go with the smallest 144 ring (~42) and up the freewheel size?
Yeah, different hub spacing, different bb spacing. This is the best part of square taper/isis/octalink bbs. You can adjust the bb chainline and put basically any crank on. Unfortunately bearings die under hard use, and the interface is a little flexy.

As far as track specific cranks go. I'm a bit out of the loop of fixie/track gear these days. I know the sugino Messenger is 130bcd. So that will get you down to a 38/39t ring. But if you're buying a new freewheel, you might as well get a big cog. Better chainwrap will give great mechanical advantage on the wheel, effectively giving you an easier gear without losing any top end speed. I ran 53:21 on my street fixie. Now I'm running 35:14/15 dinglespeed on my commuter (nearly the same gear inches) but there is a bit difference in acceleration.

Plus, big chainrings look bad ass.